Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Interesting take from the Red Alert Podcast. What’s your thoughts on what Steve might be doing?

From Red Alert; A league source added, ‘People in the league expect Yzerman to make a sizable move, but this last trade added fuel to the fire. What I find interesting is that he could’ve gotten a prospect and pick back. However, I imagine he wanted an open roster spot for a reason. If he had taken a prospect back, that would have occupied a spot in the organization, and maybe there was hesitation from San Jose to give up picks. It’s who he traded to that leads people to believe the secondary move is coming soon.’”

#LGRW

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Interesting take from the Red Alert Podcast. What’s your thoughts on what Steve might be doing?

From Red Alert; A league source added, ‘People in the league expect Yzerman to make a sizable move, but this last trade added fuel to the fire. What I find interesting is that he could’ve gotten a prospect and pick back. However, I imagine he wanted an open roster spot for a reason. If he had taken a prospect back, that would have occupied a spot in the organization, and maybe there was hesitation from San Jose to give up picks. It’s who he traded to that leads people to believe the secondary move is coming soon.’”

#LGRW
They’re going to have plenty of roster space next week.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
The fact that other GMs wer “surprised” is a very bad sign for Yzerman doing his due diligence. Thats embarrassing

Or could it possibly be that no team wanted to trade for him or even take him free and I finding out about the sweetener they are saying they would have done it. But why trade him away with a sweetener to anyone but a basement dweller in the other conference?

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I'm still surprised more Wings fans aren't sour about the poor asset management with Zadina as well...

That dumb backloaded "Gee, I hope he earns it!" contract meant they got nothing measurable from a 6OA pick that likely still had some trade value the summer he was an RFA and even last summer (had he been given a more reasonable contract the year before).

But Yzerdrones just deflected all the blame to Holland for drafting him in the first place.
Wait you actually believe zadina had value last summer? This comment has to be a troll

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Dude made a carrear based on hate. Quebecois, Europeans, minorities, etc. He spilled it on television for so many years. I don't care how much he gave for charities or how much loved troopes, anybody who monetize hate is a bad person.
Dude didn’t monetize hate. He said some off the cuff stuff but the thing they fired him over wasn’t hateful. His worst take against the Quebecois came after they booed the US anthem. His worst take about Europeans was in the 80s and was a dumb joke. You can disagree with his takes and his beliefs but he lasted on the CBC until 2019 because he never really crossed the line even if he got close to it. Dude is a relic and his opinions are dusty but let’s not be hyperbolic.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

#LGRW
In addition to this roster spot, moving Gison the other day opened another of the 50 allowed contract slots 😏 SY is up to something methinks…

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I'm losing my patience with the Yzerplan BS. Stop blaming Holland and make the damn playoffs. Wasn't Yzerman supposed to be the genius for acquiring Walman?

The acquisition can be a brilliant move and not workout. You realize this, right? We got him on the cheap, he had a good season and for whatever reason there is no longer a place for him on the team.

I'm so tired of the haters acting like every mistake is grounds to fire the GM. Yzerman is not perfect, no one is but his moves have improved the team. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Fact. Period. Without question or argument. Every single year the team has improved.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Man the overreactions in here are priceless. And within days of the offseason starting too. One move gets made, and suddenly Yzerman is an idiot apparently.

How about we actually let this offseason play out and see the shape the team is in going into next season before jumping to conclusions? Not a season has gone by under Yzerman where the team/org wasn't in better shape than the previous one. So until that stops being the case, he should have the benefit of the doubt. Less than a week from today, we could easily be considered a playoff lock if certain trades and signings are made. Still going to consider the Yzerplan an abject failure in that case? Let the man cook, damn.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The acquisition can be a brilliant move and not workout. You realize this, right? We got him on the cheap, he had a good season and for whatever reason there is no longer a place for him on the team.

I'm so tired of the haters acting like every mistake is grounds to fire the GM. Yzerman is not perfect, no one is but his moves have improved the team. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Fact. Period. Without question or argument. Every single year the team has improved.
There's not a place on the team because Yzerman is too good at drafting defenseman who pushed walman out . That's a good problem to have.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
This has nothing to do with love for the player.

Say you don't like your car for whatever reason. You sell it to someone or donate it to some charitable organization. You don't pay someone to take it just because you don't like it anymore.

Cattle has value. Paying someone to take them from you makes you a lousy rancher...
Maybe Walman has Mad Cow disease?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

#LGRW

There are so many ways to open a roster spot without selling a 2nd to clear Walman.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wait you actually believe zadina had value last summer? This comment has to be a troll
He said when Zadina was RFA, so that would be 2 summers ago.

Did Zadina have value then? Sure, but probably a 3rd round pick or 2nd at best. Just means we'd have more Clevelands.

It absolutely amazes me how Stevie likes to throw away second round picks, with or without Draper's help.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

This upcoming season will be Yzerman's 6th as GM if the Wings don't make the playoffs then he deserves to be fired. 6 years is plenty of time to turn the team around.

There's not a place on the team because Yzerman is too good at drafting defenseman who pushed walman out . That's a good problem to have.
Who pushed Walkman out Maata, Petry or Holl, because they are still on the roster.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
This upcoming season will be Yzerman's 6th as GM if the Wings don't make the playoffs then he deserves to be fired. 6 years is plenty of time to turn the team around.

Who pushed Walkman out Maata, Petry or Holl, because they are still on the roster.
Oh god I’m so sick of “it’s been X years, y he no win” as an argument.

When he got here in 2019, the Red Wings were literally a still raging tire fire with a strength and conditioning regiment which was the very finest that 1999 could give to you.

The Wings now in 2024 are so much better organizationally than what he took over.

Now he’s not immune to being fired and big steps have to be taken forward, but it’s just such a stupid way to manage.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

There's a few guys Yzerman drafted named Simon Edvinsson and another named Albert Johansson. I encourage you to use the google search function to learn more. At least one of those guys are better than Walman. Maybe both are better.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
I assume you have no proper answer other then turning into personal thing? In this case the answer is, i didn't like what he did to your mother
I grew up with Don Cherry on CBC, on HNIC every Saturday night. From a hockey perspective, I looked up to him throughout the 80s and 90s. I literally implemented things he said into my own game as a youth.

I ran a paper route in the neighborhood I grew up in, in suburban Detroit. One of the houses on my route was a nice older couple. They’d give me a container of homemade Christmas cookies every year during the holidays. The Hueters. The guy had every Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em VHS and would loan them to me whenever I asked. We’d talk hockey all the time. Loved watching those tapes, Grapes with his dog Blue by his side, wild 80s fisticuffs and bench-clearing brawls. Good memories. Later, in college, when I was already contracted to the military and going through officer training, 911 happened. And Cherry’s rhetoric and support of the troops struck a chord with me. This guy got it.

Except. He didn’t. Don Cherry was not a good person. He’s a xenophobe and a racist, and frankly a precursor to the rise in fascism we see globally today. F*** Don Cherry. He should have suffered consequence culture long before he actually did.

Posters pushing back on you are just stuck on nostalgia and have failed to evolve.

Dude made a carrear based on hate. Quebecois, Europeans, minorities, etc. He spilled it on television for so many years. I don't care how much he gave for charities or how much loved troopes, anybody who monetize hate is a bad person.
Jesus, we're not talking about Goebbels here. He had a couple of controversial remarks over multiple decades in broadcasting. So let us pump the brakes a bit.

The reason you think 6 years is plenty is because other teams turned it around in that span. But those franchises had kids in the pipeline. Stevie had to basically start from scratch with Moose prob being the best prospect when he took over. You fire him now, the GM following him would have a field day with the good shape the franchise is in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad