Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To me, what could Walman have done that is so bad, that the Wings needed him gone, yet he can still play in the league, and that other teams also know is an issue, for him to now be a cap dump in value? Even before this trade we have over 28 mil in cap space and while Mo and Ray take a decent chunk of, the UFA class is not that appealing that we need space to add one. San Jose just claimed Goodrow who plays a lesser important position and has another year for nearly the same money for free. Why couldn't we have taken this chance with Walman?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
only 6 Defensemen in the entire league had more powerplay points than Ghost this year, wherever he ends up whether that's here or somewhere else it isn't gonna be on the 2nd PP

also he played 19 minutes a night this year for the Wings, that may or may not end up dropping next year but even when he was on Carolina last year he was still playing 17 minutes a night(and he was playing 22 minutes when he was in Arizona that same season and the season before)

Problem with Ghost is that while he is good for the pp, he has to be babysat at 5 on 5 and sheltered as much as you can. He is likely wanting a 3-5 year deal at 5-5.5 which I want no part of.

Just wanted to point out that 99.9999% of the time future considerations means NOTHING! They put that, because the league doesn't allow trades for nothing and this is just legal/league mumbo jumbo to get around that.

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
Just wanted to point out that 99.9999% of the time future considerations means NOTHING! They put that, because the league doesn't allow trades for nothing and this is just legal/league mumbo jumbo to get around that.
Yep I’d be surprised if we get something more than a random 7th two or three years out back.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yep I’d be surprised if we get something more than a random 7th back.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time that futures actually became something. Like it does happen, but it is extremely rare for that to mean anything. In the 90s - early 2000s ist happened more often, but in the cap world I can't even recall one that was fulfilling future considerations.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Yes, very confusing. You'd think Walman at least have some value. And it is not even just him, we throw in a pick as well. Something else is going on here. Hopefully it will become clear in the coming days

WestlakeWingFan

May 10, 2024
The Wings certainly tried to trade Walman without attaching a pick. The fact that they had to shows what the league thought of him. The question is what are they clearing cap space for? Trade or fa?

• Haha
Reactions: deca guard

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
T
That’s why I don’t buy this as a move to facilitate a future move. Like if a good player falls to San Jose why would they skip drafting that player? They didn’t trade for the 14th pick. Same thing with claiming a player in some unseen future. If they were going to do it they would have done it at the same time they made the trade.
The league does like to announce those trades at the draft. Will be watching closely when pick 14 comes around.
Trying to look for any angle for this trade to make sense. Have to be patient and hope I guess.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
It’s gotta be for a Holl claim (navigating ntc / Nmc ) It’s the only thing that makes sense.

Sharks fans are saying Walman will arguably be their best defenseman.

San Jose takes on 6.8 mil in cap for a 2nd. But it’s not full dump. Half (3.4) is a positive asset.

Detroit is ably to drop 6.8 mil from their books in order to add a big time dman. Turns 2 roster spots into 1 better. And those 2 players don’t fit long term.

Makes sense and is a good piece of business for both teams.

But if it’s not that, wtf?

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I hate that people are saying "it's a move to clear up cap space" as if it excuses how bad the trade is. Sure, that might be why the trade happened, but it doesn't excuse how bad the value of the trade was.

Yeah, but imagine a scenario.

You have 9M in cap space.

You target 2 players you can sign.

With 6M cap space you can't sign both. But getting rid of extra 3.4M cap space, you can.

Then it goes like

2nd + Walman <> defensive upgrade (Matt Roy or Pesce)

You fix the handness issue, and at same time, you'll open the slots for our most promising kids on the left side. Edvinsson/Johansson/Wallinder.

That slot opening move was sure thing it will happen. All hoped it should be Chiarot or Määttä. This time it was Walman.

Red Wings move on.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Great contract? We all know he was healthy scratched at the end of the season

He was healthy scratched, for Edvinsson.

Terrible thing to give a spot for a prospect. No one will want that to happen. :)
If Matt Roy is our pickup this offseason I’m going to be very disappointed.

Another average Michigan born veteran on a UFA contract

Do we have the cap space to take chances on any more of those?

1719392065623.png

Matt Roy vs. Walman.

1719392110210.png

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
You're telling me Y called up 20 GMs and told them he'd give them Walman and a 3rd for free and not a single one of them was interested?
Unlikely. That would indicate that Walman has done something really stupid. More likely that something more is brewing with the Sharks, likely them taking on Holl or Husso, or eating salary in an upcoming trade

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Only folio-hat theory I could imagine, is that Holl blocked a trade to San Jose with his m-NTC list and that "future considerations" could be San Jose's promise to pick him from waivers afterwards.

That overcrowding at defence could be fized that way, will open roster spots for kids and also gives cap space for a significant upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad