Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Detroit has 32 million in cap space:

Mo and Raymond will get around 16 million combined. That leaves Detroit with 9 rosters spots to will with 16 million. Veleno will take 2 million of that so 8 and 14. If they bring back Ghost he will likely get 5.5. So 8.5 for 7 players. If they bring back Kane that number drops again.
That number for Ghost is insane. He’s a bottom pairing/7th d who should run the 2nd PP.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
I get the feeling that Yzerman is planning something big, Larkin is closing in on 30 and right now there is a lot that has to break right for the Wings to become consistent playoff contenders. I don't think he is going to wait another 2-3 years and see if the prospects make an impact.

Reactions: FMichael

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Matt Roy is absolutely a significant upgrade over Walman. We were a playoff team last year if you replace Walman with Roy. Roy is excellent defensively.
He 100% is, still doesn’t excuse yzerman from giving away a 2nd rounder

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I am highly skeptical that future considerations is anything more than a Jaromir Jagr bobblehead and a couple sticks of gum. But I empathize with people trying to make sense of this one, I guess we’ll see.
Please tell me Steve didn’t buy a hot Jagr bobblehead

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
That number for Ghost is insane. He’s a bottom pairing/7th d who should run the 2nd PP.

only 6 Defensemen in the entire league had more powerplay points than Ghost this year, wherever he ends up whether that's here or somewhere else it isn't gonna be on the 2nd PP

also he played 19 minutes a night this year for the Wings, that may or may not end up dropping next year but even when he was on Carolina last year he was still playing 17 minutes a night(and he was playing 22 minutes when he was in Arizona that same season and the season before)

takimaki

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Hortons
Not going to lie, Steve has me wondering with this move.

Have the Wings ever cashed in on “future considerations” before?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman started the morning with 8 picks set to use this weekend. He successfully eliminated and cleared $3.4 million off the roster for two years.... and he still has 8 picks to use this weekend + added another young asset.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yzerman started the morning with 8 picks set to use this weekend. He successfully eliminated and cleared $3.4 million off the roster for two years.... and he still has 8 picks to use this weekend + added another young asset.
Ya and he also gave away a promising young asset. The walman deal is pathetic

• Haha
Reactions: MagicMann13

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
oh that's a relief

a $3.1M defenseman with about the same rate of production of the $3M Walman. Plus Roy is one year older. Imagine thinking that's a significant upgrade over Walman, so significant that his acquisition makes Walman so expendable that we can pay another team to take him off our hands.
Embarrassing takes one after the other, simmer down

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Ottawa got a goalie, NJ will be healthy, Buffalo will be healthy, Detroit *checks notes* loses Kane and Walman for nothing... it's hardly a given Detroit will make the playoffs, in fact its quite the long shot. Sure, everything could break perfectly and we could sneak in, but this roster doesn't inspire confidence, nor does Yzerman's free agency or Draper's drafting
Oh are we back to pretending Ottawa and buffalo are playoff teams again?

It's one of my favorite offseason games.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
oh that's a relief

a $3.1M defenseman with about the same rate of production of the $3M Walman. Plus Roy is one year older. Imagine thinking that's a significant upgrade over Walman, so significant that his acquisition makes Walman so expendable that we can pay another team to take him off our hands.
Matt Roy is one of the best defensive d-man in the league. Roy's numbers might be similar to Walman offensively, but his calling card happens in his own zone. What I loathe is this sets up Mo with Chiarot, now last years version probably isn't as bad as the first time they tried this, but that is risky by Yzerman and Lalonde. Roy is ideal to be Edvinsson's first partner though, he would be a huge addition there.

Roy would be the stabilizing defensive force he was attempting to do with Chiarot. I expect nobody will love it and everyone will cry about the Michigan connection. Roy's emergence has been big in LA and I think he would help ease some of the burden and get more offense out of Mo. I guess we will find out, but he is one of the few players I expect would have a pretty large impact on our team because he can really help slot roles. Also lost in the Walman move is this does make Aljo's chance to make the roster and contribute on the third pair a lot better.

I would like to move on from Ghost so Seider can have PP1 and Edvinsson can get some reps, I could see those two as future 2nd pair guys once ASP is ready to take that first role over.

But really that was it to me in terms of the trade is what are the likely roles, still confused about the second but the NHL supposedly closed future consideration loopholes without a league exemption, so this was blessed with some tangible stipulation.

Walman while exciting had a very tough second half. It is also hard to project a special teams role here long term. Chiarot and Edvinsson are going to provide size and PK roles on the left side next year, Wallinder also has significant upside in this role in the pipeline. Offensively while Walman has some gifts in this department, he isn't a PP player when we tried it. So you're likely to see him fall down to a bottom pairing role with minimal special teams impact. better to make the space and clear the roster for Aljo in a similar role who can hopefully rotate between Petry and Holl, I expect Maatta (we can hope Holl but...) will depart for something, maybe middle rounds in terms of a pick. There are ways you can evaluate and see some of the rational. That or use the buyout on Holl on top of this to create more space.

Yzerman doesn't seem intent on taking the step back. We asked that to start the summer, but there seems to be a clear intent towards clearing space and getting ready to do something. Trying to get us better everyday is his job, they saw something they really didn't like out of Walman to be sure. I wish him luck in San Jose, I really do like him, but I reserve judgement on this in a pretty big way until we see the fuller picture.

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021
Is it possible this is more behind close door consequences. Like did Walman do something that got him essentially canned?
I'm wondering if this is a situation where we have an aggregation of multiple factors. Maybe Walman presented smaller but noted issues, and was not valued on-ice quite as highly as we think. Maybe the 'future considerations' aren't some crazy 4-d coup, but still worth more than a bag of pucks. Maybe there is some reason to want that flexibility right now, and there is also some value to clearing the roster space.
In terms of return, I have a very hard time understanding this trade on it's own. It's a whole lot of maybes, but maybe the calculus in the end shakes out as >= neutral.
Curious to see how it goes, but I do think us internet commentators tend to want to reduce things down to single causes 🤷‍♂️

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
There is obviously something more coming, if not directly or significantly via the Future then by improving the ability to do something else. If it's something else, then evaluation of the trade needs to wait until we see what that something else is. The trade at this point is not just to dump Walman for Cap or locker room issues, he'd have been waived in that case and the 2nd rounder retained. The specifics about the Future could be just temporarily delayed by Grier or SY having something else going on but with an agreement that either of two options would be satisfactory and announced shortly, probably at the Draft. The trade involves only one NHL player who knows he's been traded so there's no reason not to announce it, with remaining details covered by the catch-all Futures.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm wondering if this is a situation where we have an aggregation of multiple factors. Maybe Walman presented smaller but noted issues, and was not valued on-ice quite as highly as we think. Maybe the 'future considerations' aren't some crazy 4-d coup, but still worth more than a bag of pucks. Maybe there is some reason to want that flexibility right now, and there is also some value to clearing the roster space.
In terms of return, I have a very hard time understanding this trade on it's own. It's a whole lot of maybes, but maybe the calculus in the end shakes out as >= neutral.
Curious to see how it goes, but I do think us internet commentators tend to want to reduce things down to single causes 🤷‍♂️
Your entire post was logical and even tempered.

Get out.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I can’t believe there are people on this board that think there is nothing more behind this move. This move is the start of much bigger moves, at the very least to create cap space. The Wings have to make the playoffs next year. I get that won’t be stated publicly, but there is no way they can go backward. All their competitors are getting better, their core is getting older, and worse tje fans are losing their patience.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Oh Fv(|<! You're right.
I'm sorry. I should know better by now. :ha:
NOW you're getting it! This is an internet forum, where only hot takes are allowed.

This just in: Macklin Celebrini has changed his name to Future Considerations.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I can’t believe there are people on this board that think there is nothing more behind this move. This move is the start of much bigger moves, at the very least to create cap space. The Wings have to make the playoffs next year. I get that won’t be stated publicly, but there is no way they can go backward. All their competitors are getting better, their core is getting older, and worse tje fans are losing their patience.
It probably is for a bigger move but if it’s only to create cap space for a bigger move then it’s a horrible trade by yzerman. Walman is not a negative asset, so no reason they should be attaching an asset to him

• Haha

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Here's my guess. SJ has the #14 pick right in front of us. They make a pick we like and then that player gets packaged back to us as a future consideration. Or something along these lines. That's the only way a future consideration makes sense.
Why wouldn't they just give us the pick though?

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad