Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I am as perplexed by this trade as everyone else.

Couple of notes/thoughts.....

Doubt this is us waiving somebody like Holl and them claiming the waived player. They could just include the player in the trade. And if it were to be done to circumvent a no trade clause, got to imagine the players association would have a fit.

Second, unless Jake Walman has an upcoming murder/rape charge about to drop, there is no way he did something so bad that it required this trade to rid him. Waivers would of gotten the job done. If it is truly giving Jake Walman and a second round pick away, all members of the Red Wings front office have dropped the ball here, big time.

Third, hopefully the futures have something to do with cap retention of a soon to be available player, or something around a player at the draft.
San Jose has 3 retained players.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Doubt this is us waiving somebody like Holl and them claiming the waived player. They could just include the player in the trade. And if it were to be done to circumvent a no trade clause, got to imagine the players association would have a fit.

Also have to wonder what it would do to Yzerman's credibility when offering an NTC in negotiations.

Third, hopefully the futures have something to do with cap retention of a soon to be available player, or something around a player at the draft.

The Sharks have all 3 of their retention spots in use next season. The only hope we might have is that if a team trading a decent player to Detroit won't do it without offloading a bad contract, that that bad contract then goes to the Sharks in another futures deal.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I agree that eventually they will need to get them playing together, but Ed hasn't played a full NHL season and Seider is at a point where having a consistent partner would really help his game. It gets worse when you look down the lineup, its so bad I have no idea which two d-men to put as a second pairing, as all combinations that come to mind would be bad.

If they are bringing in X defensive top 2/4 on a trade, Chairot would be a adequate 4 if he didn't try to be the qb of the breakout.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Patrick Roy wants to make a comeback?? WOO HOO goalie problems solved SON

oh

oh that one

wow shit that's really cool, another sub-0.5 points per game centerman, should fit in just great right between Compher and Copp, so our lines are centered like this

1st line: Larkin
4th line: Compher
5th line: Roy (not the famous one, that other one)
8th line: Copp

sweeeet glad we flushed a top-pairing D-man to make room for...all that
Matt Roy, the defenseman.

Also, imagine calling Jake Walman a top-pairing defenseman.

:laugh:

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
If Matt Roy is our pickup this offseason I’m going to be very disappointed.

Another average Michigan born veteran on a UFA contract

Do we have the cap space to take chances on any more of those?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If Matt Roy is our pickup this offseason I’m going to be very disappointed.

Another average Michigan born veteran on a UFA contract

Do we have the cap space to take chances on any more of those?
Detroit has 32 million in cap space:

Mo and Raymond will get around 16 million combined. That leaves Detroit with 9 rosters spots to will with 16 million. Veleno will take 2 million of that so 8 and 14. If they bring back Ghost he will likely get 5.5. So 8.5 for 7 players. If they bring back Kane that number drops again.

Reactions: flychairman
Oct 18, 2006
Detroit has 32 million in cap space:

Mo and Raymond will get around 16 million combined. That leaves Detroit with 9 rosters spots to will with 16 million. Veleno will take 2 million of that so 8 and 14. If they bring back Ghost he will likely get 5.5. So 8.5 for 7 players. If they bring back Kane that number drops again.
So we’re in cap hell as a non playoff team? Cool beans. Really like what’s happening here…

And yes I know, I know, Ray and Seider and Ed will continue to improve so we should be a play-off team next season. But I don’t love the spot we’re in.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So we’re in cap hell as a non playoff team? Cool beans. Really like what’s happening here…

And yes I know, I know, Ray and Seider and Ed will continue to improve so we should be a play-off team next season. But I don’t love the spot we’re in.
Don't think for just 1-2 years. Ed and Nate and Kasper and ASP and Johansson will all be on ELCs for awhile. And anybody like Kane or Ghost will only be here for at max a few more years.

Guys will continue to be moved in and out of the lineup with plenty of financial flexibility.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
There has to b e more to it. I loved Walman in Detroit, and I hate to see such a fun and energetic player go... but if Stevie is targeting a bigger fish this offseason, and none of the other players we could've dumped for cap space could be moved? I guess this was the best we could do.

Reactions: Henkka

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Don't think for just 1-2 years. Ed and Nate and Kasper and ASP and Johansson will all be on ELCs for awhile. And anybody like Kane or Ghost will only be here for at max a few more years.

Guys will continue to be moved in and out of the lineup with plenty of financial flexibility.
Cap space won't be a problem after next year, but the team doesn't have a lot of solidified pieces either, which is even scarier, especially when Detroit lacks skill throughout the lineup and there aren't any high skill guys in the farm.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

Ottawa got a goalie, NJ will be healthy, Buffalo will be healthy, Detroit *checks notes* loses Kane and Walman for nothing... it's hardly a given Detroit will make the playoffs, in fact its quite the long shot. Sure, everything could break perfectly and we could sneak in, but this roster doesn't inspire confidence, nor does Yzerman's free agency or Draper's drafting

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
There has to b e more to it. I loved Walman in Detroit, and I hate to see such a fun and energetic player go... but if Stevie is targeting a bigger fish this offseason, and none of the other players we could've dumped for cap space could be moved? I guess this was the best we could do.
Yzerman doesn't show his cards but I think he has no hand and hoping everyone folds.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Matt Roy, the defenseman.

Also, imagine calling Jake Walman a top-pairing defenseman.

:laugh:

oh that's a relief

a $3.1M defenseman with about the same rate of production of the $3M Walman. Plus Roy is one year older. Imagine thinking that's a significant upgrade over Walman, so significant that his acquisition makes Walman so expendable that we can pay another team to take him off our hands.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Yzerman doesn't show his cards but I think he has no hand and hoping everyone folds.
You might be right, but I am ever the optimist.

I just don't think SJ was gonna take Holl or Copp without at least a first rounder, and we're not giving up our first without something incredible coming back our way -- even if it's a 15OA pick.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
oh that's a relief

a $3.1M defenseman with about the same rate of production of the $3M Walman. Plus Roy is one year older. Imagine thinking that's a significant upgrade over Walman, so significant that his acquisition makes Walman so expendable that we can pay another team to take him off our hands.
Defensively, Roy operates in a whole different realm. You couldn't design a better partner for Ed.

Acquiring Matt Roy, or someone like him for the 2nd pair RD has nothing to do with Walman and everything to do with keeping Petry/Holl off the 2nd pairing.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Is it possible this is more behind close door consequences. Like did Walman do something that got him essentially canned?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
oh that's a relief

Matt Roy is absolutely a significant upgrade over Walman. We were a playoff team last year if you replace Walman with Roy. Roy is excellent defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad