Value of: W. Nylander

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

holdyoucloser2003

Mar 11, 2020
Marietta, Georgia
Toronto isn't winning in the post season without upgrading their blue line. Marner cannot be traded with current contract and Matthews obviously will remain Leaf till he's UFA.

So which leaves us with Nylander and with recent performance I believe he will fetch Toronto a nice return, maybe something like

Trouba + Georgiev

Nylander + Mrazek

What other dmen could Leafs target with a player like Nylander?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Toronto isn't winning in the post season without upgrading their blue line. Marner cannot be traded with current contract and Matthews obviously will remain Leaf till he's UFA.

So which leaves us with Nylander and with recent performance I believe he will fetch Toronto a nice return, maybe something like

Trouba + Georgiev

Nylander + Mrazek

There is no way to know what if anything the Leafs will do in the post season. Marner can be traded. Matthews can choose to leave as a free agent or he can re-sign. I like Trouba, but I still wouldn't make the deal. Trouba engineered his trade to NY, so I don't think he would want to move. He has. NMC.

Reactions: Ciao

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
The Leafs D isn't a large piece away. They need a second pairing RD upgrade on Holl, but it's not like they need to go get a super high paid option.

I look back to the Capitals run where they got Kempny at the deadline and think they need the next "that" guy to supplement Rielly Brodie and Muzzin. The leafs third pair is absolutely fine too with Sandin/Dermott/Liljegren

Reactions: Nylanderthal

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Oh my god it's been so long since we had a "Leafs need to trade Nylander for a defenseman" thread, I'd forgotten what it's like.

OP is also very obviously someone's Leafs-burner (seriously, check the thread history), so I don't think we need to waste too much time discussing why we won't be moving Nylander.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Trouba + Georgiev

Nylander + Mrazek

nope

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

Trouba + Georgiev

Nylander + Mrazek

jeez. How can you be so wrong twice on the first sentence. You don’t know if Toronto will win in the post season and torontos defence has been good. Shake my head.

Reactions: Ciao

Mar 26, 2010

Trouba + Georgiev

Nylander + Mrazek

Not sure what to make of this post. Are you just looking to stir the pot?

1. The Leafs D is actually pretty good.
2. Marner can be traded, he is a world class player.
3. Matthews will be a Leaf long after this contract. He is not going anywhere. He loves Toronto. The biggest and best hockey Market in the world.

As far as Willy Nylander goes, he is on one of the best contracts in the NHL. The guy is a total stud, there is no way he is getting traded. Even if Dubas were to entertain it, it would take a young number 1D man coming back to Toronto. That is not happening though, Willy is not for sale.

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
Oh my god it's been so long since we had a "Leafs need to trade Nylander for a defenseman" thread, I'd forgotten what it's like.

OP is also very obviously someone's Leafs-burner (seriously, check the thread history), so I don't think we need to waste too much time discussing why we won't be moving Nylander.
This exactly, he started this thread to troll Leafs fans and start a flame war.

As if Toronto is looking to trade Willy Nylander. :laugh: like WTF. Get real.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Trouba has been much better. Although, he really only had a bad first year with us. (Last year he was good, just not for what he was being paid). I can't see him wanting to go to Toronto after forcing his way to this area, so it's probably not worth having a thread about it, regardless the cost being too high with Nylander or fair.

Reactions: bernmeister

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

Trouba + Georgiev

Nylander + Mrazek

Last I checked the leafs had the second best team D in the league this season thus far, and have lost the last two playoff series due to lack of timely scoring. Trading the one big ticket player who’s performed when needed isn’t the answer

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I don’t think the Leafs should make panic moves like this. They have an extremely talented team. It’s bound to happen that they put it together in the post season.

Any time you have a core that are your most talented players (who are young), you might have to give it time to work things out in highly leveraged games. There’s often a learning curve with this. Hopefully they’re far enough along on that learning curve by now that it starts paying off.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Toronto's defense has been .. adequate (I am in line with the argument that Jack has made them look better than they are), and so I agree with the blueline help.

Holl has been bad, Muzzin shaky, Liljegren has no playoff experience and unless/until Dermott & Sandin both step up as consistent, reliable options in the post-season, the Leafs blueline is not solid. And if any of their top 6/7 d-men are injured going into the playoffs, Toronto will have a bigger hill to climb than they already do considering their opponent is likely to be one of the top 3 teams in the league.

But Nylander is not the one you move to get it unless absolutely necessary (that is, there's simply no viable trade available with Marner as the main piece going the other way).

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada

Trouba + Georgiev

Nylander + Mrazek

Can you get me this week's lottery numbers as well plz

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019
Muzzin is the one that the Leafs need to trade this summer. They tried Holl, Sandin and Liligren with him but the lines still suck. He is the common denominator, he's slow as molasses and rarely hits anymore. We could get a good return for him and use his 5.6mil for another dman.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Trouba + Georgiev

Nylander + Mrazek

would love to send you Trouba but he has full nmc 2 seasons after this and while we hope he will waive prior that's not happening this yr,

Also our cap beginning next yr is a prob as to adding salary.
Would love to consider Strome + for Nylander, for example, but Strome has to go for futures, not a salary, b'c his $ is already going to cover Zib + Fox $.

Setting aside we may need to deal Lindgren later for LaF/Kakko etc $, we don't have flexibility in our pieces to be a fit.

We could agree on
Lindgren + Strome + Geo
for
Nylander + 1st

but we don't have anybody we can trade to create cap space [if we want to keep Nylander and our youth].

should have listened to me years ago when I was offering Buch + Geo for Nyl

I have 2nd round value for Geo if you want to top that
Also, will send your Strome + 2nd for Leafs 1st

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Muzzin is the one that the Leafs need to trade this summer. They tried Holl, Sandin and Liligren with him but the lines still suck. He is the common denominator, he's slow as molasses and rarely hits anymore. We could get a good return for him and use his 5.6mil for another dman.

I agree with this. If they are able to get out of the contract now, they should do it. It's only going to get worse for Muzzin. His skating is falling off a cliff. Find a solid RHD they can put with Sandin on the 2nd pairing. Pay what it takes for Carolina to part with Pesce. He's worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad