W Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 3rd, ANA)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Oct 18, 2011
Lindholm only went slightly higher than expected. Not much of a reach. McTavish wasn't a reach. Carlsson absolutely not a reach at all - #2 was a toss up. Really just Sennecke. I wouldn't have done it myself, but pro scouts like him and it's easy to like his talent and rise.
Not true I remember the 12 draft very well Anaheim was getting killed on here, same with Mctavish, not so much with Carlsson

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Man, Montreal fans seem to be obsessed with Anaheim prospects. Why is it in almost all of these threads?
Pretty sure we're interested in any and all good players. There was talk on the Habs board about us taking him #5, albeit limited.

I myself am interested partly because he belongs to a rival, even if our rivalry is limited right now. Looking forward to future battles.

Lindholm
2012 mock drafts
- Sportnet: 11th
- MyNHLdraft: 15th
- Bleacher Report: 16th
- the Hockey Writers: 23rd
- SBNation: 23rd

Not true I remember the 12 draft very well Anaheim was getting killed on here, same with Mctavish, not so much with Carlsson
Got it. I must be misremembering then. Thanks!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The only thing the draft telecast could say about Lindholm was his VoX was off the charts and that he could probably do the Tour de France. That's all the info they had. Contextual proof that not many had Lindholm rated high b/c they didn't care to do any research on him to be expected to be drafted high.

Many don't remember, but Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pretty sure we're interested in any and all good players. There was talk on the Habs board about us taking him #5, albeit limited.

I myself am interested partly because he belongs to a rival, even if our rivalry is limited right now. Looking forward to future battles.

Montreal may have been 1 of the teams that had him high, so maybe you are remembering that

Reactions: CanadienShark

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Montreal may have been 1 of the teams that had him high, so maybe you are remembering that
Sorry, just to be clear... Sennecke was floated around by some people discussing options for the #5 pick in 2024. I must've been misremembering Lindholm's pre-draft ranking in 2012. My bad there; the conversation has kind of jumped around.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

The Lindholm pick was frankly shocking by modern standards. Before all this online media coverage, I could recall Morris in 96 being in the same league as a surprise, as he had been projected to go in the 3rd-4th round. Oh, and the Peter Forsberg pick stunned a lot of folks, some had talked about him as a 2nd round pick, but it later turned out more than one team was ready to pick him top 10.

Sennecke as a pick is nowhere near as shocking as any of those.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Montreal targeted Demidov, then Lindstrom and if not available the best defenseman available. Source : RDS and TVA Sport insiders. Never heard Sennecke in conversation. Iginla was probably ahead of him on the list.

When Sennecke came out 3, it validated the mission : get his hands on Demidov or Lindstrom if Demidov took 4.

Maybe all of this is false and that Montreal was targeting Sennecke and that Demidov is actually just a consolation prize but on the Montreal side, we all experienced it like that.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Montreal targeted Demidov, then Lindstrom and if not available the best defenseman available. Source : RDS and TVA Sport insiders. Never heard Sennecke in conversation. Iginla was probably ahead of him on the list.

When Sennecke came out 3, it validated the mission : get his hands on Demidov or Lindstrom if Demidov took 4.

Maybe all of this is false and that Montreal was targeting Sennecke and that Demidov is actually just a consolation prize but on the Montreal side, we all experienced it like that.
Are you on the Habs board much? Honest question. It was more 1-2 months ago, but he was the flavour of the month talk.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The fact that the Habs scouting team wasn’t interested in him apparently gets me excited about him as a Ducks fan
I'm not sure that's true though. There was absolutely chatter about him 1-2 months prior to the draft on the Habs board. Obviously that doesn't say much about the opinion of the scouts though. Hughes doesn't seem to give away too much. I'm sure they liked him, but obviously liked others as well.

On the Hf Habs, during the last week, we had a flavour of the day, Sennecke, Buium, Lindstrom, Silayev, Levchunov, Demidov... Nobody was safe. :laugh:
Yep, lots of great players in that range.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
On the Hf Habs, during the last week, we had a flavour of the day, Sennecke, Buium, Lindstrom, Silayev, Levchunov, Demidov... Nobody was safe. :laugh:

The fact that two of the most talked about possibilities for the Ducks at 3 ended up going 10th and 12th tells you just how wide open this draft was.

A week before the Ducks had said they were debating about 8 guys. And I can totally believe it.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
If I were a ducks fan, I'd probably buy this.
Add Zegras' face from the Milano assist, make that What the Duck text bigger, and I'm buying it for sure:

bamidtm7u4dftwytkfjx.jpg

Reactions: lwvs84

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Was high on Sennecke before the draft.
Ducks got themselves a very good prospect.

They did but . . . but at 3OA, could have done better or traded down and gotten assets. Until they start to win, not buying that “Verbeek is the smartest guy in the room” vibe that he tries to project.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They did but . . . but at 3OA, could have done better or traded down and gotten assets. Until they start to win, not buying that “Verbeek is the smartest guy in the room” vibe that he tries to project.

Maybe... maybe not, there was talks that other teams liked Sennecke a lot... and if we moved down what was stopping them from jumping above us and grabbing him.

I think Montreal was prob pretty confident anaheim wasnt taking Demidov due to us not really taking russians in russia, and especially not early.... and i think it was pretty well documented that Columbus really liked Lindstrom... so i dont think there was much incentive for Montreal to trade us at 5, other than calling our bluff that we could go Montreal.

After that you start to risk losing out on him to a different team, the asset we get for moving down prob wsnt worth the risk of losing him to our scouts/org.

Maybe it was a bad pick, maybe it was actually us being the "smartst guy in the room" .... we wont know for at least 2 years..... but watching him, hes definetly very talented... and if he can pack on some strength/weight, he could be a very unique style forward.

The pick was wide open for anaheim, we prob debated picking everyone in the top 12 on our boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad