W Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 3rd, ANA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
His potential is the highest in this draft outside of Macklin. Can’t think of a good comparable because he’s an absolute unicorn.

Going to need some time to develop but out of everyone I saw this year, at his peak, he was the most exciting and dominant.
Benoit Pouliot is the best comparable, imo. And I don’t even mean that as an insult. BP could have been a lot more than he was, but he had some very unfortunate things happen in terms of injuries and his personal life. Even dealing with all that, he become a pretty good middle-sixer for a few years, with legitimate 2nd line type production in a few of them (albeit in partial seasons due to injury).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He was 11th on McKenzie’s final draft rankings. He was a reach any way you slice it.
I mean let's be real. He aggregates ten NHL scout's rankings out of how many for how many different teams? It's one of the best rankings we have but it's not dispositive. And the line on this draft was there was very little consensus past first overall.

It's entirely possible that full draft teams were higher on the kid than the ones who provided Bob with data.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
I see the vision with this kid. I think I'm a little shocked that they didn't take someone with a quicker path to the NHL. I was expecting a defenseman who could slot in right away. But that surprise aside, you can just see Sennecke becoming a beast in this league. Once he fills out that huge frame he's going to be hell for the West.

Reactions: Kalv and Yemeth

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Rick nash
I don’t see a similarity. He doesn’t play like him, isn’t as big, and doesn’t have his speed, strength, or shot. He might have better hands, and he’s more creative one on one. Playmaking is about the same, i.e., it isn’t/wasn’t the strong suit of either, but not terrible. Hockey sense is about the same. Nash was a big, strong, gritty power forward. Sennecke is a lanky finesse player.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I don’t see a similarity. He doesn’t play like him, isn’t as big, and doesn’t have his speed, strength, or shot. He might have better hands, and he’s more creative one on one. Playmaking is about the same, i.e., it isn’t/wasn’t the strong suit of either, but not terrible. Hockey sense is about the same. Nash was a big, strong, gritty power forward. Sennecke is a lanky finesse player.
Sennecke developed as a finesse player because he was relatively short until a recent growth spurt. Anaheim is betting on him using his finesse in his new big frame, and developing those other "big body" traits over time.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I will be following Sennecke's progress more than any other prospect not on my team. Will be fascinating to see if he develops into a star, which he should be as a 3oa, considering who he was picked over. I anticipate him growing to about 6'4", and packing on another 20 lbs, or so in the next 2-3 years. That's a lot. ANA has to be patient with him. He is a Jan bday, so will have to play CHL for two more years, which is fine. Let him get bigger, stronger, faster, more mature, and have him hit the ground running in 3-4 years when is growing is done and he has had time to figure out his skills in his new body.

Players like Celebrini and Demidov are more or less finished items, physically, and skill wise. Sennecke is a rough diamond who needs a lot of polishing before he shines.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the Ducks had taken Demidov at 3OA and Montreal then took Sennecke at 5OA, no one would have thought that Montreal reached. The idea that Sennecke was some huge reach at 3OA is a bit overblown. Everyone said picks 2-10 could go in any direction and that's exactly what happened.
Too many had Buium, Iginla, and Catton above Sennecke.

The draft is exactly as it should have been if Lindstrome back was ignored. The top 5 is what the top 5 should be picked with only variations of order.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
This is a guy you're just going to have to watch and see if he's the real deal, because his counting stats are just not there yet. Honestly, a lot of prospects are like that, some teams like to watch and see what qualities these prospects have and if they can potentially reach the next level and a lot of teams like players that are already established. If it was me I would've took Catton. I can see where the Ducks are coming from though. Most players in their U18 season in the WHL with a 1.50ppg have all become above-average producers in the NHL, only one I can think of that didn't is Petan. Cristall is still a question mark.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sennecke is going to need a smart, 200ft center and a big body in front of the net.

We got Slaf and Suzuki ready to go and i wouldn't have a problem trading CC for Sennecke.

Yes...I'm ready for the hate.. lol

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm sort of reminded of Scheifele, who was comparably off the board when selected at #7 by the Jets.
My thought was Barkov or even Dach. Your comparison is better though. I remember Barkov was basically the consensus #4, no chance he was going top 3. Then he went #2. Looks great in retrospect. Not sure exactly where Dach was rated, but didn't he also have a big growth spurt and shoot up the rankings?

If the Ducks had taken Demidov at 3OA and Montreal then took Sennecke at 5OA, no one would have thought that Montreal reached. The idea that Sennecke was some huge reach at 3OA is a bit overblown. Everyone said picks 2-10 could go in any direction and that's exactly what happened.
Disagree. I would have been pretty unhappy with him at #5. Obviously remains to be seen how he develops and I have nothing against him, but it was a huge reach. Sometimes those really pan out though. I was thinking he could even be available at #11 and would have been ecstatic. I think he was mostly ranked in the 7-9 range.

• Haha
Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
My thought was Barkov or even Dach. Your comparison is better though. I remember Barkov was basically the consensus #4, no chance he was going top 3. Then he went #2. Looks great in retrospect. Not sure exactly where Dach was rated, but didn't he also have a big growth spurt and shoot up the rankings?
The mock draft on nhl.com between three "experts" had Dach anywhere from 4th to 9th. They also had Caufield 7th.

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
Didn't you just accuse me of stalking? :laugh:

Dach isn't a bust. Buh bye, see you next year.
No you just keep replying to my posts, because ur butthurt that I share the same opinion as some NHL scouts. have fun with Dach busting, I literally came in here to post about the player my team drafted.

Typical Habs fan

Who wants to put together a go fund me for Habs branded muzzles ?

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
No you just keep replying to my posts, have fun with Dach busting, I literally came in here to post about the player my team drafted.

Typical Habs fan
Dach isn't a bust. I think 10% of your posts ever have been replies to me now. I'm honoured. You don't have time to watch hockey, but you have time to dedicate to trolling Habs fans and attacking me. Thank you.

Feel free to talk about Sennecke here. He's an intriguing player for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad