Player Discussion: Dmitri Voronkov

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Not sure how I feel about this KHL out-clause? Is this standard? Does this mean if CBJ want him to start in Cleveland (like Marchenko) he can say "screw that I am going back to KHL"? I mean, I don't see it as an issue, I expect this kid is close to NHL ready and team will let him take lumps in NHLuntil he figures it out) but seeing how Bemmer held the "no AHL" over Jarmo's head for the first couple years it makes me cringe.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure how I feel about this KHL out-clause? Is this standard? Does this mean if CBJ want him to start in Cleveland (like Marchenko) he can say "screw that I am going back to KHL"?
That is the implication, yes.

But it could also be BS. The agent statement makes no mention of it in the English translation

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
European Assignment Clauses are perhaps not common enough to be called standard but they are attached to contracts often. Usually there is a time-frame attached to them, i.e. after 31 days in the AHL Voronkov could exercise his European option and play elsewhere while still remaining under contract with Columbus. It could also be a clause worked into year 2 of his contract and not year 1 as far as I know.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Let's go! Expecting big things from him! Hopefully he can find some chemistry early, grabs a spot outta camp and never looks back.
CBJ need some luck on our later picks, one of em needs to finally hit big.

Reactions: FlyguyOX and Monk

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
European Assignment Clauses are perhaps not common enough to be called standard but they are attached to contracts often. Usually there is a time-frame attached to them, i.e. after 31 days in the AHL Voronkov could exercise his European option and play elsewhere while still remaining under contract with Columbus. It could also be a clause worked into year 2 of his contract and not year 1 as far as I know.
Yeah, I’m presuming (if it’s even actually in the contract), it means he has the right to return to the KHL if he’s assigned to Cleveland or something, not just, “oh, I don’t feel like being in Columbus over the KHL”.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That is the implication, yes.

But it could also be BS. The agent statement makes no mention of it in the English translation
It is not even spoken in Russian. But in my opinion there should be no problems. Voronkov is not one to run away at the first sign of trouble.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
we have a well established precedent of being walked all over by players. Lets stop pretending a peice of paper would keep any player from anywhere here if they didnt have it in their heart

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It is not even spoken in Russian. But in my opinion there should be no problems. Voronkov is not one to run away at the first sign of trouble.
Unless he sees no future in the NHL and gets stuck playing long term on an AHL salary when he could be making more money back in the KHL.

I think this could be said for every European player since the can almost all make more money anywhere other than the AHL.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
You don't think he has Marchenko and Chinakhov in his ear saying that the AHL is only a stepping stone and helps get acclimated? I bet they are. I hope he wouldn't pull that but you never know. Each player is different and while I am super excited for him to join the club, I'm going to hold any judgements until A) he signs and B) we understand his goals and contract details.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

EDIT: Marchenko and Chinakhov have this clause in their contracts too.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
we have a well established precedent of being walked all over by players. Lets stop pretending a peice of paper would keep any player from anywhere here if they didnt have it in their heart
And yet we also have established precedent of Jarmo using a bridge contract to lowball and alienate guys into not wanting to be here.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You don't think he has Marchenko and Chinakhov in his ear saying that the AHL is only a stepping stone and helps get acclimated? I bet they are. I hope he wouldn't pull that but you never know. Each player is different and while I am super excited for him to join the club, I'm going to hold any judgements until A) he signs and B) we understand his goals and contract details.
I'm assuming this was in response to me.

I'm not suggesting that he'll want to go back immediately if he doesn't make the opening night roster.

What I am suggesting is that if camp goes along and he doesn't acclimate well and it just seems like he has no NHL future and no fit a la Shipachyov that it would be more beneficial to him personally to want to go back to Russia. That's just a personal backup plan to protect your career instead of getting stuck in the AHL for 2 years with no real chance of getting out..

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm assuming this was in response to me.

I'm not suggesting that he'll want to go back immediately if he doesn't make the opening night roster.

What I am suggesting is that if camp goes along and he doesn't acclimate well and it just seems like he has no NHL future and no fit a la Shipachyov that it would be more beneficial to him personally to want to go back to Russia. That's just a personal backup plan to protect your career instead of getting stuck in the AHL for 2 years with no real chance of getting out..

Did Tex have one of these out clauses? Someone else said it... if the player really doesn't want to play here, they won't. This clause is a nothing-burger imo.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Did Tex have one of these out clauses? Someone else said it... if the player really doesn't want to play here, they won't. This clause is a nothing-burger imo.
Not that I am aware of but he was also on his 2nd contract in the NHL. They had to make a special clearance for him in the player assistance program to allow him to go back for the year.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I don't think that KHL clause will matter. Worst case scenario he'll take Oliviers spot as the 4th tough guy

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Not that I am aware of but he was also on his 2nd contract in the NHL. They had to make a special clearance for him in the player assistance program to allow him to go back for the year.

Good news - if Voronkov can't hack it in the NHL, and ultimately decides he'd rather go play overseas, the Jackets won't have to make a special clearance for him.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Most Russian players that consider themselves established players will have the KHL clause so that they will rather go back and make a lot of money than ride a bus in the AHL

Certainly I hope that Voronkov will not need any AHL time other than possible beginning of the year NA ice introductory period

Reactions: Cowumbus

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
That’s a signing we really needed. We’re getting a lot of skill influx, but rather lacking guys with skill and size/grit.

Voronkov can score, but he can also be a pest, a fighter, a physical presence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad