• Pekka Rinne

Votes: 36 90.0%
  • Juuse Saros

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
We couldn't keep Richter. He was a pending UFA. Back then when a team lost a UFA they received a compensatory draft pick. That's why we chose him in the expansion draft. No way was he staying here.
I was just saying hypothetically lol
Or if Dunham was a stud goalie. Would vokoun have ever been discovered if not for his time with us was my thought. He was buried in the habs organization

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Both Mason and Dunham had pretty good numbers for us too, really. At least we couldn't say that goaltending has ever really been a "problem". :dunno:

JR303

Feb 28, 2008
I think there should be little doubt as to who the "best" is, because rinne was absolutely fantastic.
But, for those of us that were here from day 1 and sat through seasons of defenders that couldn't even complete a pass to their partner parallel to the blue line, understand that watching vokoun win hearts of virtually everyone in the building while playing on teams painfully devoid of talent meant so much to all of us. Seeing him hop like a schoolboy for his first shutout, or putting a shoulder into iginla in the corner, more than once if I remember correctly, he gave the predators something that was desperately in short supply those years, and he did it with grace and competence.
"Favorite"? No contest.
"Best"? Also no contest.
I agree that without the clots(?) we were on track to make some serious noise in the playoffs.
Was that the first time 2 teams with 50± wins met in the first round of the playoffs? Seems like I remember something like that.

Sorry, been a long day, and I've broken into the rum.

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
I think there should be little doubt as to who the "best" is, because rinne was absolutely fantastic.
But, for those of us that were here from day 1 and sat through seasons of defenders that couldn't even complete a pass to their partner parallel to the blue line, understand that watching vokoun win hearts of virtually everyone in the building while playing on teams painfully devoid of talent meant so much to all of us. Seeing him hop like a schoolboy for his first shutout, or putting a shoulder into iginla in the corner, more than once if I remember correctly, he gave the predators something that was desperately in short supply those years, and he did it with grace and competence.
"Favorite"? No contest.
"Best"? Also no contest.
I agree that without the clots(?) we were on track to make some serious noise in the playoffs.
Was that the first time 2 teams with 50± wins met in the first round of the playoffs? Seems like I remember something like that.

Sorry, been a long day, and I've broken into the rum.
Agree with all of this John.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
It's gotta be Rinne, although Saros' sv% is impressive in an era with generally higher scoring and lower sv%. He doesn't have a decline phase yet though.

Anyway Rinne's impact goes beyond just stat comparing.

Reactions: hockey diva

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think people tend to forget how good Vokoun was.
On some really bad teams too.

Hey played 73 games for this team..

1718637654289.png

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
On some really bad teams too.

Hey played 73 games for this team..

View attachment 883589
I loved those early pred teams

always have respected you guys for trying to win and never tanking

And I wish the Sens could draft dmen and goalies like you can lol

And for me its Vokoun I always thought back in the day when the Sens needed a goalie he was the one they should have went for

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think one thing about Rinne is that he revolutionized goaltending with his elite ability to control rebounds and handle the puck. 2017 playoffs was especially evident. In remember against the Hawks, the Hawks literally could not generate many high-quality secondary chances due to Rinne's ability to kick the rebounds to the right place/freeze it timely. Hawks couldn't forecheck properly thanks to Rinne's puckhandling. Only other goalie that's like him in this regard during his days in the NHL was Carey Price. As elite as Lundqvist and Luongo was, both were pretty awful puck handlers, and Tim Thomas was bad in both puck handling and rebound control.

Reactions: Adz and PredsV82

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I loved those early pred teams

always have respected you guys for trying to win and never tanking

And I wish the Sens could draft dmen and goalies like you can lol

And for me its Vokoun I always thought back in the day when the Sens needed a goalie he was the one they should have went for
I remember one game, it was late December, can't remember the year, maybe 2002 or 2003. Sens and Preds were playing and both were in dire straits financially but seems like the Sens were pretty high in the standings. Those two teams played their hearts out. Preds ended up winning 3-2 on an unlikely goal from Bill Houlder after he lumbered out of the penalty box. I think Sens were more shocked at the fact he was attempting it than anything, I know I was. It was like a slow motion breakaway goal. That's in my top 10 games, more for the effort on both sides than anything, though the win was sweet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad