Value of: Vladimir Tarasenko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
gotcha, what was the conditions on the 1st? If Ottawa doesn't retain, price is probably a 2nd and 3rd or something. 50% retained, could fetch them a 1st. Wouldn't want the Canes to trade a 1st for him though, too much for a rental that doesn't move the needle all that much.
If the Canes get Tarasenko they would look to extend him IMO, otherwise why bother. Blues did retain 50% when they moved him last deadline.

Separately, this isn't going to get much appreciation even though it's correct: the player the Blues have who you really need is Binnington. I don't want to see Binnington moved but I do want a top 5 pick in this specific draft and we need to lose. He is too competitive to let them lose at the rate they need to. He would fit on the bunch of jerks, NHL avg goaltending is .902/.903 this season and behind your team defense he would excel. But I do not see his contract as a negative at all and I can't imagine having a rational conversation about him on these boards.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Id like him on the leafs but:

1. Leafs dont have any 2nds for a while and Im not sure Id give a 1st straight
2. Not sure if the Sens would deal him to the leafs or do so without a premium

Doesn't matter what the Sens want if Tank only gives permission to be traded to one team (with his NTC) then you either take what they offer or keep him.

Reactions: banks

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
$5 mil is not affordable for many teams. Just 3 currently in playoff position (by points), Nashville, Carolina and Florida, project to have $5 mil or more in deadline space, per CapFriendly.

Retention on rentals is common in this era. Last deadline saw 15 dealt with retention, not counting the double retained separately. The highest rental cap hit moved was Gostibehere's $4.5 mil to Carolina and that was a function of Svechnikov's season ending injury opening up significant cap space at the last minute.

It would behoove the Sens to not have a no retention stance. Shrink the supply of bidders and his value may go down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
$5 mil is not affordable for many teams. Just 3 currently in playoff position (by points), Nashville, Carolina and Florida, project to have $5 mil or more in deadline space, per CapFriendly.

Retention on rentals is common in this era. Last deadline saw 15 dealt with retention, not counting the double retained separately. The highest rental cap hit moved was Gostibehere's $4.5 mil to Carolina and that was a function of Svechnikov's season ending injury opening up significant cap space at the last minute.

It would behoove the Sens to have a no retention stance. Shrink the supply of bidders and his value may go down.
You left out teams that have LTIR room the rest of the year.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
If the Canes get Tarasenko they would look to extend him IMO, otherwise why bother. Blues did retain 50% when they moved him last deadline.

Separately, this isn't going to get much appreciation even though it's correct: the player the Blues have who you really need is Binnington. I don't want to see Binnington moved but I do want a top 5 pick in this specific draft and we need to lose. He is too competitive to let them lose at the rate they need to. He would fit on the bunch of jerks, NHL avg goaltending is .902/.903 this season and behind your team defense he would excel. But I do not see his contract as a negative at all and I can't imagine having a rational conversation about him on these boards.
Maybe but they were looking at signing him to a 1 year deal in the offseason and while the team is sitting on some cap space this year, we've got a bunch of UFAs and RFAs starting next year and I don't see us signing an older Tarasenko to anything less than an absolute bargain going forward as it would impact our ability to keep the other guys we want/need to keep.

I love me some Binnington but nah not really a fit for the Canes. Contract doesn't fit with Canes' cap structure and although he's had 2 incredible playoff runs, he's never reached the heights of his 2018-19 again and has been subpar the last 3 years. I wouldn't say his contract is a negative in general, but Canes don't invest that much in goaltending. Argue with that philosophy if you'd like and that's fair but Canes front office has an MO that they'll stick to, so any Binnington discussion is pretty much moot. Plus Pyotr has shown signs of life with 4 straight amazing games and word is Freddie will be back in a month or so, so goaltending isn't as dire as it seemed a week ago.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Fair point. That adds Washington (Backstrom). Colorado's space is only temporary; Lehkonen's injury is not season ending. Ditto Kakko in New York. The other teams are under the threshold.
Leafs another one, think they have the most LTIR room.
Jersey as well.
Not sure what Landedkogs timeline is either.

Reactions: banks

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Leafs another one, think they have the most LTIR room.
Jersey as well.
Not sure what Landedkogs timeline is either.

Toronto is already using up its LTIR space; the Leafs have a cap payroll of nearly $100 mil. Likewise, Colorado spent Landeskog's relief on Johansen and others.

New Jersey isn't in playoff position at the moment. If the Devils do bounceback here, it will probably be at the expense of Washington.

There's not a lot of available cap in the system amongst buyers. That's logical roster building. Saving for the deadline is inefficient with retention so prevalent.

Crow

May 19, 2014

It would behoove the Sens to have a no retention stance. Shrink the supply of bidders and his value may go down.
wouldn’t it besmirch them then?

• Wow
Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
gotcha, what was the conditions on the 1st? If Ottawa doesn't retain, price is probably a 2nd and 3rd or something. 50% retained, could fetch them a 1st. Wouldn't want the Canes to trade a 1st for him though, too much for a rental that doesn't move the needle all that much.
The later between Dallas/NYR. If Dallas somehow got a top 10 pick, the conditions would switch to the following year. It ended up being the 29th overall pick from the Stars in 2023.. Rangers had a bit of insurance there playing with a free first round pick from trading LundKvist to Dallas.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
2nd and a prospect you have not heard of that the other teams fans think is pretty OK.
He's easily getting a first. In what world have plus players who are playing at a 60 + point pace on a UFA contract not making much only getting a 2nd. He has Stanley cup pedigree too. He doesnt play on the first PP either and has been on the third line. Great production all things considered.

5m cap hit. His scoring pace is 19G 42A 61P. I wouldn’t give up a 1st for a one dimensional scorer who is only pacing for 19 goals on the season. Maybe a 2nd + from a team looking for middle 6 wing scoring
So you havent watched him play and he's been in the league for 13 years.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Zuccarello was scoring at a ~66 point pace in 2019; his return ended up a 2nd+3rd. Nyquist (~65) brought back the same that deadline. Dzingel (~63) returned 2 2nds. Domi (~67) brought back a 2nd last deadline.

In the years between, players that weren’t producing at that level, but had name value and didn’t return a 1st included Toffoli, Hall and Rakell.

C, D and gritty wingers have gotten priority historically. Tarasenko doesn't have to be defined as a one-way player to have depressed value. Not being a power forward at the wing position is enough.

With the being said, the market was very aggressive last year. So, who knows? I don't see him in that slam dunk tier with Lindholm (premium position), Hanifin (premium position) and Guentzel (premium production), but the market looks shallow overall.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm not in the least surprised that he's underrated but he's being severely underrated in this thread. I think most Sens fans were expecting an offensive player that cannot hold his own on the defensive side but that's NOT the case.

He and Joseph have been the two most reliable players all year. Every game you know exactly what you're getting from him: He plays with intensity, he plays both sides of the ice, he hits and has some fire into him. This player is easily worth 5M.

On top of that he spent a portion of the season stapled with Kubalik who's been MIA for long periods of time and Chartier who's only in the NHL because Pinto is out and Greig was also out for portion of the season. Whenever he plays with competent linemates he produces. He would be near PPG if he would be playing 1rst unit PP and in the top 6 all year. When he was playing with Joseph and Greig they were our best line every night.

I'm not sure what's his value, a lot depends on if he picks and chooses a place he wants to play. If he does that I would expect a 2nd rounder or something similar. If he opens the door to different teams I could see him get a late 1rst pretty easily.

Guy is an absolute unit too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad