Value of: Vladimir Tarasenko still on the block?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I see no reason to trade Tarsenko for 3rd liners and B level prospects. None of those players make our team better, Of course you would be willing to toss them in.

He isn’t t a cap dump. So you taking his cap hit doesn’t have any value this year.
Bratt is not a 3rd liner . Foote is a first round pick so not sure where you are getting that from and Bahl would be your best D prospect you have ?

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Bratt is not a 3rd liner . Foote is a first round pick so not sure where you are getting that from and Bahl would be your best D prospect you have ?

Blues team is really deep on forwards, so while Bratt might be a top-6 forward on the Devils it isn't out of the question that he'd be a 3rd liner on the Blues (Buchnevic, Perron, Saad and Kyrou would probably be higher on the depth chart). That's not a knock on Bratt at all as he would be an interesting piece coming back as part of a possible package. I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues wanted a good young winger on a cheaper contract back.

Not a fan of Foote though, I'd rather have another prospect or draftpick.

Ps. Bahl would be our 2nd best D-prospect as long as Perunovich hasn't graduated yet. Still an interesting prospect as part of a bigger trade though.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

His career high is 35 points. How is that not a 3rd liner? No use for him. As for Foote being a first rounder, there are plenty that don’t live up to that status.

This trade doesn’t help the Blues this season. And doesn’t address the LHD, which is our biggest hole.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
His career high is 35 points. How is that not a 3rd liner? No use for him. As for Foote being a first rounder, there are plenty that don’t live up to that status.

This trade doesn’t help the Blues this season. And doesn’t address the LHD, which is our biggest hole.
Bahl is a LHD, and is a highly considered prospect. not sure he helps THIS year, but.. he does fill a need

Reactions: sfvega

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Bahl is a LHD, and is a highly considered prospect. not sure he helps THIS year, but.. he does fill a need

Absolutely, considering Krug's defensive game will age poorly and that we need to jettison Scandella in the future, plus the lack of pipeline D.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Absolutely, considering Krug's defensive game will age poorly and that we need to jettison Scandella in the future, plus the lack of pipeline D.
I still have high hopes for Tucker and Mikkola,but a BIG talented LHD would fit in nicely

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I still have high hopes for Tucker and Mikkola,but a BIG talented LHD would fit in nicely

Mikkola is solid, but not sure if Tucker ever becomes a regular roster player. Definitely not comfortable with our franchise depth at the position.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Dude, what? He scored 30 points in 46 games last season. Maybe he would slot into the Blues lineup on the 3rd line, but I think your description here is very uncharitable. How many 3rd liners score at a 50+ point pace?

Not sure what Armstrong would be looking for or what fair value is for Tarasenko - and for the record I hope he changes his mind and stays a Blue, have nothing but respect and admiration for Vlad - but I think the Blues could do a lot worse than a younger cheaper winger like Bratt or Sharangovich + a good LHD prospect like Bahl.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Why do we need to "jettison" Scandella? If the goal is to improve team defense, you might wanna keep one of your best defenders.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Dude, what? He scored 30 points in 46 games last season. Maybe he would slot into the Blues lineup on the 3rd line, but I think your description here is very uncharitable. How many 3rd liners score at a 50+ point pace?

Not sure what Armstrong would be looking for or what fair value is for Tarasenko - and for the record I hope he changes his mind and stays a Blue, have nothing but respect and admiration for Vlad - but I think the Blues could do a lot worse than a younger cheaper winger like Bratt or Sharangovich + a good LHD prospect like Bahl.

He scored those points on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Basically he is being fed top 6 minutes dues to team weakness. 8 of those points were on the PP. Do you think he is getting that with us. He wouldn’t crack our top 6, and I am not sure he would be in our top 9. He just isn’t an upgrade over what we have but is a huge step down in scoring goals.

As for Bahl, outside of his size, give me a scouting report on him. How is his defensive play, can he skate, how is his outlet pass? What type of dman does he project to be? Clearly a defense first, but…. My guess is no Blues fan has actually seen him play. One of our fans mentions him and we all run to see his stats. But for all we know he is another Tucker/ Mikkola. Is he a top 50 prospect , top 100? You are ok with him being the center piece in a trade for one of our best assets? I am not.

The only way I am moving Tarasenko this year is if we get the pieces to flip for Lindholm. Our depth this year is a a massive asset. We could do worse in a trade makes no sense to me as a reason to make one.

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Francis made a few reeeaally really bad picks in the draft - should be imideatly fired actually.

He saved cap for FA signings where good, but some players choswn was just catastrophoc picks. Im a bwliver of Dunn, but he should have picked Tarasenko, Nd trade for Dunn kin a deal, Dunn is a good pick.

Bad played by Francis.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
He scored those points on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Basically he is being fed top 6 minutes dues to team weakness. 8 of those points were on the PP. Do you think he is getting that with us. He wouldn’t crack our top 6, and I am not sure he would be in our top 9. He just isn’t an upgrade over what we have but is a huge step down in scoring goals.

As for Bahl, outside of his size, give me a scouting report on him. How is his defensive play, can he skate, how is his outlet pass? What type of dman does he project to be? Clearly a defense first, but…. My guess is no Blues fan has actually seen him play. One of our fans mentions him and we all run to see his stats. But for all we know he is another Tucker/ Mikkola. Is he a top 50 prospect , top 100? You are ok with him being the center piece in a trade for one of our best assets? I am not.

The only way I am moving Tarasenko this year is if we get the pieces to flip for Lindholm. Our depth this year is a a massive asset. We could do worse in a trade makes no sense to me as a reason to make one.
I'm not arguing that the Blues should make a trade. Not sure I could have been any more clear in my post that I hope we don't trade Tarasenko.

I do take issue with your evaluation of Bratt based on his career high in points. He's a very good hockey player. So far in his career from ages 19-23 Bratt has scored at a ~46 point pace. FWIW Brandon Saad has scored at a career ~48 point pace. Maybe Bratt's numbers would drop on the Blues without top 6 and PP minutes, maybe he would find chemistry with one of our centers and his point totals would sky rocket. That's beside my point, which is your description of him is extremely uncharitable.

As far as you demanding a scouting report on Bahl, I can give you my thoughts but I'm probably not the person to ask. I read some scouting reports on him and watched some video on him when the devils were linked to Tarasenko over the summer, but I'm not going to sit here and claim to be an expert. Maybe you could ask devils fans for a better scouting report?

FWIW I think most devils fans have him as their 2nd best LHD prospect behind Mukhamadullin. He's probably somewhere in the 50-100 range in terms of prospects leaguewide (probably similar ranking to Neighbours TBH). I remember Bahl looking solid for Canada at the WJC. He is a big body who, from what I have read and seen, moves very well for his size. I think Bahl's floor is likely Mikkola/Tucker's ceiling. Doesn't seem to have the offensive upside to be a top pairing guy, but a realistic expectation for Bahl would be a guy who could handle bottom pairing NHL minutes as early as later this year or next and hopefully a couple years from now develop into a big defensively sound 2nd pairing dman who can skate very well for his size and handle big defensive/PK minutes.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Why do we need to "jettison" Scandella? If the goal is to improve team defense, you might wanna keep one of your best defenders.

Because with the savings from Tarasenko, we can get an actual shutdown LHD and lose Scandella because we're paying a shit-ton on defense and the drop-off from him to Mikkola on 3rd pairing isn't worth the cap crunch with new deals due.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Price has no doubt gone up since the off-season. What would it take from the Devils?
Without any retention .
Any combination of these work?
Bratt
Sharangovich
Bahl
Foote
Boqvist
Shakir
Draft picks

Mercer and Holtz are a no go.
Obvious players like Hughes brothers , Nico , Hamilton , Smith , Blackwood as well.
Doesn’t leave much but taking on the entire cap hit might lower the cost enough to make something work?
Bratt and one of the defensemen you list (bahl or shakir) might work. Gives blues cap cushion.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I'm not arguing that the Blues should make a trade. Not sure I could have been any more clear in my post that I hope we don't trade Tarasenko.

I do take issue with your evaluation of Bratt based on his career high in points. He's a very good hockey player. So far in his career from ages 19-23 Bratt has scored at a ~46 point pace. FWIW Brandon Saad has scored at a career ~48 point pace. Maybe Bratt's numbers would drop on the Blues without top 6 and PP minutes, maybe he would find chemistry with one of our centers and his point totals would sky rocket. That's beside my point, which is your description of him is extremely uncharitable.

As far as you demanding a scouting report on Bahl, I can give you my thoughts but I'm probably not the person to ask. I read some scouting reports on him and watched some video on him when the devils were linked to Tarasenko over the summer, but I'm not going to sit here and claim to be an expert. Maybe you could ask devils fans for a better scouting report?

FWIW I think most devils fans have him as their 2nd best LHD prospect behind Mukhamadullin. He's probably somewhere in the 50-100 range in terms of prospects leaguewide (probably similar ranking to Neighbours TBH). I remember Bahl looking solid for Canada at the WJC. He is a big body who, from what I have read and seen, moves very well for his size. I think Bahl's floor is likely Mikkola/Tucker's ceiling. Doesn't seem to have the offensive upside to be a top pairing guy, but a realistic expectation for Bahl would be a guy who could handle bottom pairing NHL minutes as early as later this year or next and hopefully a couple years from now develop into a big defensively sound 2nd pairing dman who can skate very well for his size and handle big defensive/PK minutes.
Your description of Bahl sounds like someone who is at least as good as Scandella now and will likely be better in a year or two. We absolutely, 100% need a guy like that in our prospect pipeline. I don't have a lot faith in either Walman or Mikkola to be more than replacement players, and Tucker is still a year or two away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad