OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
From the bottom of my heart, thank you so very much. My friend and his sick 10 year old so Ethan also sends their love and they are very thankful. My friend has been in Boston before but only at the childrens hospital. He never did do much touring, just biding his time at the hospital. I took everything you all said and copied and pasted it. We sized up the google maps Talkinaway and the previous directions and have it highlighted...I'm pretty sure we have it all down pat..an hour should be plenty of time we assume but not sure yet of the schedulling for exibition games.

I'm making the trip with my friend because back in 2010, I lost everything to Hurricane Igor. I didnt have as much as a pair underwear to put on. The home I built with my 2 hands in 1987 was completely destroyed and my buddy I refer to here went well beyond the distance to do whatever he could. Well I just call this payback time. Paying for the tickets is nothing, just paper but being by his side when he needs a friend to lean on is what's actually priceless. He would do the same for me as he already did alot but regardless, he would still be here for me..He is the true definition of a friend..My wife of 32 years and my 2 sons have given me 100% backing to do whatever is needed.. They have also helped out alot..

Once again, thanks so very much..If I get lost, I'll find a coffee shop and will go online to HF Bruins and tell you where I am..Lol, I know all will go fine, I'm among friends in the great city of Boston, Mass..

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From the bottom of my heart, thank you so very much. My friend and his sick 10 year old so Ethan also sends their love and they are very thankful. My friend has been in Boston before but only at the childrens hospital. He never did do much touring, just biding his time at the hospital. I took everything you all said and copied and pasted it. We sized up the google maps Talkinaway and the previous directions and have it highlighted...I'm pretty sure we have it all down pat..an hour should be plenty of time we assume but not sure yet of the schedulling for exibition games.

I'm making the trip with my friend because back in 2010, I lost everything to Hurricane Igor. I didnt have as much as a pair underwear to put on. The home I built with my 2 hands in 1987 was completely destroyed and my buddy I refer to here went well beyond the distance to do whatever he could. Well I just call this payback time. Paying for the tickets is nothing, just paper but being by his side when he needs a friend to lean on is what's actually priceless. He would do the same for me as he already did alot but regardless, he would still be here for me..He is the true definition of a friend..My wife of 32 years and my 2 sons have given me 100% backing to do whatever is needed.. They have also helped out alot..

Once again, thanks so very much..If I get lost, I'll find a coffee shop and will go online to HF Bruins and tell you where I am..Lol, I know all will go fine, I'm among friends in the great city of Boston, Mass..

My warmest wishes for good health to the young boy.

And you are doing a great thing.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
My warmest wishes for good health to the young boy.

And you are doing a great thing.

I appreciate that sir and I'll certainly pass on good wishes to Ethan. He's the sweetest kid In ever met and he'll be ok, just a matter of getting over the worst part. I promised my buddie I wouldn't go into details about his sickness. That's how he wanted it so I respect that. BUT I will say he'll eventually be ok, maybe 6-8 months... Thanks again my friend.

Reactions: Gee Wally

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Well, thank you for being a good friend to your buddy. We need more of that in this world. All the best to you, your friend, and his son.

FYI, here's the preseason schedule for home games played at the Garden (it's also on the big calendar on nhl.bruins.com - they announced it ages ago, but I think just posted it on the calendar recently):

Sun 9/16 1 PM WSH@BOS
Wed 9/25 7 PM DET@BOS
Sat 9/29 5 PM PHI@BOS

As a word of warning...you're probably going to be seeing a lot of the Providence Bruins - more than even a normal preseason game. Many (possibly almost all) of the marquee players are going to be in China - the first two games are being played split-squad. But it's still a great experience for Bruins fans, and a decent bang for your buck (or lash for your loonie.)

Oh, and as far as tickets - we've got a thread for advice on that, too, if you don't have the tickets already. For preseason games, I recommend looking on Ace Ticket and StubHub. They're both full of season ticket holders who dump "extra" tickets, and the get-in price for preseason games is really low - as low as $15-$20. The buyers fees are 15% on Ace ($4.99 per ticket minimum fee), and on StubHub it's about 23% + $2.50 for electronic tickets.

Speaking of which, you'll probably need a cell phone if you buy off the secondary market. There are no PDF paper tickets - the only physical tickets are the card stock tickets sent to STHs (which often don't get resold on StubHub because it's a hassle, less reliable, and more expensive), and the printout tickets you get if you literally go to North Station and buy a ticket from the box office.

I'd ordinarily also recommend looking at TicketsNow aka the official Ticketmaster resale exchange - for the regular season, they sometimes have good prices. But they have a weird thing where they have a minimum sale price - I think you can't sell a ticket for under 50% of face value. For any regular season game, that's irrelevant, but for preseason games...the minimum is around $25-$26 plus 21.5% fees, and those are for the worst seats. I'd also stay away from Ticketmaster's "blue dot" new ticket sales for preseason games - those go for $39 minimum.

Above all, have a great time with your friend!

member 157595

We bought in malden in 2014. It’s really on the upswing. The downtown is being totally revitalized, more Bars/restaurants are popping up all the time, we are getting another brewery (Mystic is moving in, and we already have Idle Hands). I truly believe it’s going to be the next Somerville over the next few years.

Our house isn’t huge, but it was affordable for us at the time and it’s just two of us. Single family, Melrose line. Last house on a dead end street and 5 minute walk to the subway.

Malden Is definitely a community on the upswing.

Yeah I'm within walking distance from the Malden line on the other side, so not very far apart.

Malden's not going to be affordable for long, assuming it still is in the first place.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Well, thank you for being a good friend to your buddy. We need more of that in this world. All the best to you, your friend, and his son.

FYI, here's the preseason schedule for home games played at the Garden (it's also on the big calendar on nhl.bruins.com - they announced it ages ago, but I think just posted it on the calendar recently):

Sun 9/16 1 PM WSH@BOS
Wed 9/25 7 PM DET@BOS
Sat 9/29 5 PM PHI@BOS

As a word of warning...you're probably going to be seeing a lot of the Providence Bruins - more than even a normal preseason game. Many (possibly almost all) of the marquee players are going to be in China - the first two games are being played split-squad. But it's still a great experience for Bruins fans, and a decent bang for your buck (or lash for your loonie.)

Oh, and as far as tickets - we've got a thread for advice on that, too, if you don't have the tickets already. For preseason games, I recommend looking on Ace Ticket and StubHub. They're both full of season ticket holders who dump "extra" tickets, and the get-in price for preseason games is really low - as low as $15-$20. The buyers fees are 15% on Ace ($4.99 per ticket minimum fee), and on StubHub it's about 23% + $2.50 for electronic tickets.

Speaking of which, you'll probably need a cell phone if you buy off the secondary market. There are no PDF paper tickets - the only physical tickets are the card stock tickets sent to STHs (which often don't get resold on StubHub because it's a hassle, less reliable, and more expensive), and the printout tickets you get if you literally go to North Station and buy a ticket from the box office.

I'd ordinarily also recommend looking at TicketsNow aka the official Ticketmaster resale exchange - for the regular season, they sometimes have good prices. But they have a weird thing where they have a minimum sale price - I think you can't sell a ticket for under 50% of face value. For any regular season game, that's irrelevant, but for preseason games...the minimum is around $25-$26 plus 21.5% fees, and those are for the worst seats. I'd also stay away from Ticketmaster's "blue dot" new ticket sales for preseason games - those go for $39 minimum.

Above all, have a great time with your friend!

Talkinaway, you went way out of your way to help us and I cant tell you how much I appreciate that, we all do. I would of course love to see a regular season Bruin game, almost got to see one about 10 years ago. My brother Roger lives on Vancouver island and Bruins were on a west coast trip and playing Canucks. We were talking about it all summer and fall. I think it was just before Christmas. This is why we didnt go. Roger and his wife Allison are from here and also Allisons parents were. Her father passed away a couple years before and her mom Audrey at the time was dying of cancer. It WAS before Xmas because I know she died just before the 25th..Anyway at the time she was very sick. And being such a good friend of our's also, it just didnt feel right going out and celebrating my 1st Bruins game while Audrey was practically on her death bed... But sometime in the future, thats my best chance of seeing the Bruins. Hopefully someday.

Thanks again my friend. You;re without a doubt a really good person and I truly appreciate all you're trying to do for us..Wishing nothing but the very best to you and your family..

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Hi guys! Do you have tips for Foxborough parking. A ticket over ticketmaster is like 40$ + admin fees.

Back to what its written on the first page, If I understand, I have to take a dinner on Mike's Pastry? Count me in for the cannoli's but what should I eat before?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hi guys! Do you have tips for Foxborough parking. A ticket over ticketmaster is like 40$ + admin fees.

Back to what its written on the first page, If I understand, I have to take a dinner on Mike's Pastry? Count me in for the cannoli's but what should I eat before?

just pay the parking at the gate. flat $40, no "rip off"master fees

overall, you got no real choices. All stadium lots are $40 a car. There are other places down Rt 1 to park for around $30, but you're walking a mile at a minimum to get to the stadium.

also, have stuff to tailgate after the game because you're going nowhere for an hour or 2 at least from the traffic.

Going to a Pats game is an all day affair

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

overall, you got no real choices. All stadium lots are $40 a car. There are other places down Rt 1 to park for around $30, but you're walking a mile at a minimum to get to the stadium.

also, have stuff to tailgate after the game because you're going nowhere for an hour or 2 at least from the traffic.

On games that I work I am allowed to use Putnam Parkway - it is unbelievable

Season Ticket Holder Putnam Parkway Instructions for October 17

Reactions: BigBadBruins7708

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
So i was at the Garden last night and the street popo weren’t allowing Causeway traffic to turn left into the North Station Garage. I had to head further down toward the North End and bang a u-ie to then turn a right into the garage. Not sure if this has always been the case as i never park there, but this could be potentially very annoying. Maybe if you’re heading in that way just continue onto Lomasney (i think that’s Lomasney) and use the other entrance.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

Thanks for the advice. If I left the car in the parking lot for an hour or two after the game, is there a chance that I could be a victim of a tow truck or something?

If I understand what you tell me, im better finding a party in Foxborough for Sunday night than return to a bar in Boston?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Thanks for the advice. If I left the car in the parking lot for an hour or two after the game, is there a chance that I could be a victim of a tow truck or something?

If I understand what you tell me, im better finding a party in Foxborough for Sunday night than return to a bar in Boston?

nah, you'll be good. Most people tailgate after the game as well.

depends on kick off time. 1pm game, plan on being back in Boston between 6 and 8

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

A NBC game on a Sunday night you are looking at it ending between 11:30 PM and Midnight.

For night games the Town of Foxborough 'allows' bars at Patriots Place to stay open until 2 AM

Night Life At Patriot Place | Patriot Place

The Pats have been playing in Foxborough for almost 50 years and Route 1 is still a horror show.

upload_2018-8-30_1-27-35.png

Reactions: Alicat

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
A NBC game on a Sunday night you are looking at it ending between 11:30 PM and Midnight.

For night games the Town of Foxborough 'allows' bars at Patriots Place to stay open until 2 AM

Night Life At Patriot Place | Patriot Place

The Pats have been playing in Foxborough for almost 50 years and Route 1 is still a horror show.

View attachment 136847

I didn't appreciate it as a kid, but the state was right not to let the taxpayers foot the bill for a stadium in the seaport district. But they should have let Kraft build one there himself. Instead of having an awesome stadium in town with easy MBTA access we have four million high end condo buildings without a coherent vision for the area.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
It will be sunday night football so it will finish at 11:30 pm... maybe later!

Don't count on being home at a reasonable hour, no matter what you do. I went to U2's Joshua Tree concert last year, and I'd say it probably took me at least 90 minutes to start driving at a reasonable pace - maybe more? Don't think I got home until 2 AM, and according to Google Maps I'm 33 minutes from there. (Probably more like 40, but sounds about right.)

Granted, there were probably more people there than a Patriots game due to the field being used as general admission as well as seating in the normal seats, but traffic out of Foxboro is legendary. I remember reading an article in the Globe - I think last year? - about STHs who totally give up going to Monday/Thursday games themselves, because you'll be in no shape for work the next day.

I don't know if hanging out at the Patriot Place bars would really help - I can't imagine it saving a significant amount of time, because everyone does have to go home eventually. And as far as bars at 1 in the morning...call me Danny Glover, because I'm getting too old for that shit.

Reactions: Alicat and Fenway

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Which discotheque should I chose for saturday night. We're all 30-35 years jackass

Thanks for the support guys

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I didn't appreciate it as a kid, but the state was right not to let the taxpayers foot the bill for a stadium in the seaport district. But they should have let Kraft build one there himself. Instead of having an awesome stadium in town with easy MBTA access we have four million high end condo buildings without a coherent vision for the area.

vacant shell condos is more like it.

Reactions: EverettMike

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Don't count on being home at a reasonable hour, no matter what you do. I went to U2's Joshua Tree concert last year, and I'd say it probably took me at least 90 minutes to start driving at a reasonable pace - maybe more? Don't think I got home until 2 AM, and according to Google Maps I'm 33 minutes from there. (Probably more like 40, but sounds about right.)

Granted, there were probably more people there than a Patriots game due to the field being used as general admission as well as seating in the normal seats, but traffic out of Foxboro is legendary. I remember reading an article in the Globe - I think last year? - about STHs who totally give up going to Monday/Thursday games themselves, because you'll be in no shape for work the next day.

I don't know if hanging out at the Patriot Place bars would really help - I can't imagine it saving a significant amount of time, because everyone does have to go home eventually. And as far as bars at 1 in the morning...call me Danny Glover, because I'm getting too old for that ****.
Sounds like my experience a few years ago after a Monday night game.

We absolutely pasted the Texans and it was a warm, humid and soggy experience.

It took us at least 15 minutes to get out of the stadium since we were in the 300’s.

We got to the car and the heavens just opened which made traffic even worse. I got home at 2:30am and had to call out the next day. Thank god my boss was a Pats fan.

I live maybe 35 minutes away depending on whether I choose to go 95 or stay on Route 1/1A.

I’m honestly not a fan of going to a game. I prefer to watch on my couch or at a bar in Boston.

The only time I got to Patriots place is when the Pats are away or on a Saturday.

I’ll go to Bar Louie or Tavolino’s (good pizza and drinks). I’ve heard CBS Sports Scene has upgraded everything but haven’t been there in a long time b/c the food sucked.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Sounds like my experience a few years ago after a Monday night game.

We absolutely pasted the Texans and it was a warm, humid and soggy experience.

It took us at least 15 minutes to get out of the stadium since we were in the 300’s.

We got to the car and the heavens just opened which made traffic even worse. I got home at 2:30am and had to call out the next day. Thank god my boss was a Pats fan.

I live maybe 35 minutes away depending on whether I choose to go 95 or stay on Route 1/1A.

I’m honestly not a fan of going to a game. I prefer to watch on my couch or at a bar in Boston.

The only time I got to Patriots place is when the Pats are away or on a Saturday.

I’ll go to Bar Louie or Tavolino’s (good pizza and drinks). I’ve heard CBS Sports Scene has upgraded everything but haven’t been there in a long time b/c the food sucked.

It's better, but still not great.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Talkinaway, you went way out of your way to help us and I cant tell you how much I appreciate that, we all do. I would of course love to see a regular season Bruin game, almost got to see one about 10 years ago. My brother Roger lives on Vancouver island and Bruins were on a west coast trip and playing Canucks. We were talking about it all summer and fall. I think it was just before Christmas. This is why we didnt go. Roger and his wife Allison are from here and also Allisons parents were. Her father passed away a couple years before and her mom Audrey at the time was dying of cancer. It WAS before Xmas because I know she died just before the 25th..Anyway at the time she was very sick. And being such a good friend of our's also, it just didnt feel right going out and celebrating my 1st Bruins game while Audrey was practically on her death bed... But sometime in the future, thats my best chance of seeing the Bruins. Hopefully someday.

Thanks again my friend. You;re without a doubt a really good person and I truly appreciate all you're trying to do for us..Wishing nothing but the very best to you and your family..

Best of luck Ernest. I've known you for a while--and I remember the photos of the water when your house hot destroyed. Knew that you would persevere.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Best of luck Ernest. I've known you for a while--and I remember the photos of the water when your house hot destroyed. Knew that you would persevere.

Kovi, that is SO very kind of you and I truly appreciate it. Yes, that was Hurricane Igor, Sept 21 2010.. It was a tramatic time for all my family plus a couple more families.. We all had to leave this little community of Trouty that we loved so much but myself and Michele are only 3 miles down the road. We restored the house she grew up in... We're happy, especially like right this minute surrounded by our 3 grandkids, Summer 10, Sierra 8 and our little grandson Jeffrey... Really hope things are well with you. Thanks again and have a great Sunday!!

Reactions: sooshii and Kovi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad