Virtanen pushes Nordstrom's head into the boards

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
If you watched WJC you know he probably is the most stupid player out there.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I'm a canes fan and I'm pretty meh about it. The title had me expecting more, I missed that part of the game last night.

Let's blow this out of proportion shall we?

I mean, the NHL is doing all they can to better protect players from head injuries/concussions and then this bonehead does this? All it takes is a bang to the head like that to give someone a concussion.

McDavidbowie

Mar 2, 2016
Let's blow this out of proportion shall we?

I don't see anyone calling for a 10 game suspension, relax. It was a dumb move that at least imo merits a thread.

What I want to know is if he was pulled from the game by the concussion spotters.

His head bounced.

JA

let's slam another human's head into the boards like closing a car door shall we?
I don't see much force; he relents very quickly. It seems to me like he was trying to stop himself from slamming into the boards and unfortunately placed his hand on Nordstrom's head to brace himself. He brushes his hand off of Nordstrom's head before it hits the boards; he doesn't drive through. If it was intentional, he would have held his head and driven it into the boards. It doesn't look malicious.

The side angle, shown in the second half of the video, shows that he doesn't drive Nordstrom's head into the boards. He looks like he's trying to stop his own momentum; he reacts in a way that is harmful to Nordstrom but isn't motivated by a desire to hurt him.

The front angle is quite incriminating, but the side angle reveals where his hand actually is. That "push" seen in the front angle is actually his hand sliding up.

This is malicious.

Last edited by a moderator:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I don't see anyone calling for a 10 game suspension, relax. It was a dumb move that at least imo merits a thread.

What I want to know is if he was pulled from the game by the concussion spotters.

His head bounced.

He was not. Here's the shift chart from the game - he played on a line with Staal and Nestrasil most of the game and wasn't pulled after that.

McDavidbowie

Mar 2, 2016
He was not. Here's the shift chart from the game - he played on a line with Staal and Nestrasil most of the game and wasn't pulled after that.

I don't like the idea of these concussion spotters. More human error added to the game. Gustavsson was pulled last night when Larsson fell on him. But this imo, deserved a pull also.

No idea what their criteria is though. But when I see a guys head bounce like that, you would think they would check for a concussion.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Pretty sure Virtanen was hit from behind in the first period by a Canes defender. It was a soft hit from behind but he did go into the boards about as hard as Nordstrom here. No call either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad