VII. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brand New Stars

Well coaches are in the business of winning, not developing players. That would explain why all the real prospects don't play all the top minutes.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think McKenzie played a single playoff game last year. Troock has looked better than Guptill, but Troock wasn't tearing it up by any means. Petersen as a place holder for Ritchie is fine. He's actually looked surprisingly good since coming back.

Faksa is the only guy they added late as a young guy who has looked damn good, and clearly Wilie has no problem playing him. If the other guys had earned a spot they would have played.

I still think the goalie situation is stupid. All things equal in the AHL ... the push should be development. I don't agree Nilstorp and Campbell are equal .... but for the sake of argument the nearly 30 year old goalie who won't be here next year shouldn't ever touch the ice in the playoffs. I think the rotation is dumb. The difference with this situation and on the wing is Campbell is clearly ready and as good, IMO better than Nilstrop. That's not the case with the wingers yet. I'm OK with them having to force someone out rather than get a spot by default at the end of the year when they've only been around a couple weeks.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Yes Nihlstorp is in tonight.

As for the rotation. No idea what's in Willie's head. I think it's the combination of easing Campbell in, making sure he doesn't aggravate his hip any more (word is that it's still bothering him some), and rewarding Nihlstorp for his play at the end of the season.

It could also be to make things remain competitive between the two and keep pushing them. They are both super super competitive and Willie may be trying to use that to make them push themselves for the playoffs.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yes Nihlstorp is in tonight.

As for the rotation. No idea what's in Willie's head. I think it's the combination of easing Campbell in, making sure he doesn't aggravate his hip any more (word is that it's still bothering him some), and rewarding Nihlstorp for his play at the end of the season.

It could also be to make things remain competitive between the two and keep pushing them. They are both super super competitive and Willie may be trying to use that to make them push themselves for the playoffs.

I agree with your assessment of the situation. That's very likely what is happening.

The thought of rewarding a guy who is already rumored to be heading back to Europe is ridiculous. I'm not saying punish him and not play him. I'm saying all things equal ... and at the very least they are ... you play the top prospect; potential future franchise starter.

I could be off here, but Dallas was overly cautious with Campbell and the injury. I don't see any way they play him at all if the injury is still nagging him.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
I wouldn't say nagging but more along the lines of being able to play through it. I'm sure it's the type that he can play a game or two and not have anything wrong happen but still want to be cautious and not over due it.

I think that's also why they gave Desrosier an ATO.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think that's also why they gave Desrosier an ATO.

I honestly don't. I don't think it's anything more than what Nill said when they signed him to the contract. They want him to spend time with Mike Valley.

He, probably like Campbell was, seems like he might be on the fast track to the AHL. In the past it's not uncommon for guys to start in the ECHL.

Desrosiers could immediately step in at the end of next year in an observation type role again after his season is complete. Then in 2015-16 I think he'll start immediately in the AHL.

I could see them signing a Euro free agent to play with Desrosiers the first year or two.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nemeth has been assigned. Maybe they were waiting to an exit interview with him? IDK ...

Hopefully he can play tonight, and the only reason he wasn't at skate this morning was he didn't arrive yet .... wishful thinking.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Man it'd be nice to see Nemeth back in the lineup tonight but I doubt it.

As for Desrosier, would he have needed to sign an ATO with Texas just to get time with Mike Valley? Or even to practice with Texas? I don't remember that happened with players like Molin and Vance.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Man it'd be nice to see Nemeth back in the lineup tonight but I doubt it.

As for Desrosier, would he have needed to sign an ATO with Texas just to get time with Mike Valley? Or even to practice with Texas? I don't remember that happened with players like Molin and Vance.

Those players didn't travel with the team, and neither were close to joining Texas. There's nothing different here than the Faksa assignment last year.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Looks like Shapiro's lines jive with the warmups.

Hmm Jack with a new goalie stick. Now to see if I can get hold of one of his old CCM sticks hehehe.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
It's been a pretty pedestrian period so far. OKC the stronger team so far though good work by Dowling's line.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Texas scores! Morin from the half boards to Ranford who deflects in behind Bachman.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Apparently holding on to a guy's leg fires not draw a penalty. I see OKC bringing back some Blazers hockey.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Horrible call by ref only sending Meech to the box.

Dowling playing like mad man it's awesome.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
uh oh, they sent the refs from the Stars / Ducks series down to the AHL to call this one

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Mueller just makes the OKC defense look silly as he cuts between them and scores on a breakaway

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Well that was pretty horrific second period. Texas up 2-1. They're going to have to play better next period if they don't want a fourth game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad