Player Discussion VIDEO: Swayman/Sweeney Following Contract Extension

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I’m just here so I don’t get fined.

There were some moments in those threads that were more HFB than I ever thought HFB could get.

IMG_3773.gif

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
Can’t say that I’m all that happy about his holdout, he was giving we Alaskans a bad name. Now he has his money, it’s time to earn it. Looking forward to another season of Bruins hockey!! LFG!!!

Reactions: Trizz617 and BMC

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
What a douche to start out his post lockout preamble with the Huberdeau stuff. Sleezy media training from his agent. Guy comes across as either the dumb village idiot or the douche sycophant. Disturbing to not know which and know hi is the N 1 for the next 8 years for the franchise. So much for building a roster with character…. Should have had the balls to say he was pusîng to reset the market and at least own it. More respect for the truth than his gimmick responses.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What a douche to start out his post lockout preamble with the Huberdeau stuff. Sleezy media training from his agent. Guy comes across as either the dumb village idiot or the douche sycophant. Disturbing to not know which and know hi is the N 1 for the next 8 years for the franchise. So much for building a roster with character…. Should have had the balls to say he was pusîng to reset the market and at least own it. More respect for the truth than his gimmick responses.
IMG_3776.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Clode

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Seems harsh but cant deny douche chills.

I’ve come to the conclusion after watching the amazon thing that he’s not douchy, he’s just really weird.

The combination of goalie weird and alaskan weird (no offense to any alaskans in here) make it seem like someone who thinks they need say and act a certain way that just comes off as a little off putting.

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Ok I have no idea what that means but I appreciate your commitment to it.
Means a holdout player attempting to use the death of a common client to his agent while not having any direct relationship to said RIP as a tactic to defuse the media hits and then just defect all questions to say « happy for 8 years as a bruin » is sleezy and disengenious given his public stance of wanting to reset the goalie rfa market with his agent. Ergo the douche statement.

Reactions: Bodit9

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I’ve come to the conclusion after watching the amazon thing that he’s not douchy, he’s just really weird.

The combination of goalie weird and alaskan weird (no offense to any alaskans in here) make it seem like someone who thinks they need say and act a certain way that just comes off as a little off putting.
That may very well be the case but he « ain't in Kansas » no more so he better figure it out or he won’t last 2 years on the deal here.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The “For Sale” sign across the front of Jeremy Swayman’s chest protector flipped to “Sold” Sunday morning, the franchise stopper taking himself off the NHL’s restricted free agent market and staying with the Bruins for a deal worth $66 million over the next eight seasons.

Swayman got what he wanted, at least enough of it, and the Bruins got what they needed, a young (25) netminder whose abundant talent and athleticism one day could see him ranked among the NHL’s elite goalies.

The new season begins for the Bruins Tuesday night in Sunrise, Fla. Time and a whole lot of rubber (400-450 games?) fired his way will decide Swayman’s lot and, ultimately, his franchise legacy.

Time also will tell if there is a lingering stain after a monthslong negotiation that only last Monday had Swayman’s agent essentially calling Cam Neely a liar after the team president suggested in a Causeway Street presser that the club had offered Swayman $64 million.

An offer of that amount was never made, according to the agent, who made public his comments with a printed statement some seven hours later in the day. The agent added he and Swayman were “disappointed” and would “take a few days to discuss where we go from here.”

Then on Sunday, voila, the deal was done at $66 million, slightly more than a 3 percent bump over what may be remembered as the Neely Number

For a figure that never existed until Monday morning, in hindsight it appeared to be, well, right about on the money.

“Again, Lewis was incredible in this entire process,” said Swayman, referring to agent Lewis Gross, when asked by a Globe reporter for clarity around the $64 million rub. “It just goes to show what he would do to really protect me as his client, and sticking his neck out and making sure that everyone knew that some accusations were true and some were false … and it’s not my job necessarily right here, right now to give you that answer.”

Ah, right, some truth, some lies … a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down those pants with lots of cash lining those deep pockets. Deal done. Move on. Let’s all fuhgettaboutit.

Look, fine, Swayman didn’t want to answer. Super. He got his dough. He wants us all to let the details go, fade into the fog of negotiations.

General manager Don Sweeney also cared not to dive into the weeds when asked the same question.

“No, not really,” said Sweeney, asked if he cared to respond to that $64M figure and the agent’s ensuing comments. “I think I have responded to answer your questions and I feel very comfortable in terms of where our communication was all along — as I said, narrative is narrative and that’s all I have.”

Typically, Sweeney is not much of a talker. Curt and typically cordial and for the most part efficient. That’s been his M.O. since being handed the keys in 2015. He is never light and breezy. On this subject, he had the storm shutters battened down tight.

Later, Swayman added, “You can dissect it all you want and think about it, but again, what’s that going to do? Again, we’re here right now … I got a plane to catch in an hour (the team’s to Florida) and that’s all I care about, man. I couldn’t be more happy.”

It felt like we were all on the White House lawn, with the blades of the president’s chopper filling the air with thunderous thwacks. No time for details. Fuzzy words. Hold on to your hats, loyal citizens, it’s takeoff time.

Indeed, it was a happy day for Bruins fans and the nouveau-riche Swayman, whose disposition at the presser was decidedly more sunny side up than that of Sweeney, whose remarks were brief and muted..

Let it be noted, the goalie and the GM did not share one of those big ol’ loveable brotherly hugs that Swayman and now ex-partner Linus Ullmark (doing business in Ottawa now) patented over the last 2-3 seasons.

“It’s a big day for the Boston Bruins and for Jeremy to be celebrating moving forward,” said a subdued Sweeney, after first referring to Swayman as the “special guest” at the Guest Street presser. “And we’re excited he’ll be on the plane today.”

The GM then fielded a few questions from the media, then handed off to Swayman.

“Funny when you look at the big picture of things,” said Swayman. “and 10-15 years ago, I would never believe this would be a reality in my world.”

With the NHL salary cap set at $88M for this season, Swayman’s $8.25 million average annual value represents 9.375 percent of potential total payroll. In July 2013, with the cap at $64.3 million, a 26-year-old Tuukka Rask signed for eight years, $56 million. His $7 million AAV represented 10.9 percent of the cap. By that comparison, Swayman came in at a slight discount to the Finnish workhorse.

Rask signed just weeks after leading the Bruins to the Stanley Cup Final vs. the Blackhawks. In 2019, he again carried the Bruins to the Final, only to watch the Blues swashbuckle down Causeway Street with the Cup after winning Game 7.

If Swayman can help back a couple of runs to the Cup Final and maybe even win a title between now and the spring of 2032, it’s a good bet no one will recall the Neely Number, the agent’s accusations, and the protracted dance it took to get the goalie’s name on the dotted line.

Meanwhile, the clock starts ticking with Swayman’s career games played at 132. Rask had played 138 games.

When asked that day about signing for such substantial money, Rask matter-of-factly said, “I don’t think I’ll suck.” He retired with more games played (564) than any goalie in Bruins history.

The dealin’s done and Swayman, the richest University of Maine Black Bear that ever was, has left the table with a load of cash.

The question is, after these negotiations, at what price?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

There were some moments in those threads that were more HFB than I ever thought HFB could get.

View attachment 913028

View attachment 913028
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
Having just watched the Amazon series, he isn't getting signed to a record label any time soon so this is the best outcome for him.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Glad he signed but I can’t sleep at night knowing Cam said $64 M and Frank Cirelli said $62.8.

Very upsetting.

Hopefully over time I will get over it, but right now I want Cam to lose his job. I know he won’t because he’s Harry Sinden mouth piece but I’m going to cancel him and avoid looking at #8 in the rafters

Boo freakin who

bbruins3

Mar 18, 2012
Estevan SASK
Huberdeau stuff?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad