OT: Video Games VI

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Might have to try, looks like Starship Troopers…
Oh against the bugs it is totally Starship Troopers. Also with the whole subservient take on democracy which is hilarious.

Great thing is the difficulties levels since I think there is something for the casual folks or those where it is a running death gauntlet. Player at the higher levels it can feel like one is constantly getting killed. Also some literal epic extractions that I still remember somehow surviving and able to dive into the extraction shuttle as the time runs out.

Against bots its like being in the future Terminator franchise time except much more equal in fire power compared to movie franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Just bought another 16gb of ram for the laptop, which is only 6 months old. It has 16 base, but Skylines 2 seems to be pushing it, and Civilization VII recommends 32, so here we go.

I'm going to do the install myself since it doesn't look too bad. I am nervous about taking the bottom of the case off thought.

It'll be fine, right?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Just bought another 16gb of ram for the laptop, which is only 6 months old. It has 16 base, but Skylines 2 seems to be pushing it, and Civilization VII recommends 32, so here we go.

I'm going to do the install myself since it doesn't look too bad. I am nervous about taking the bottom of the case off thought.

It'll be fine, right?
I need to do the same on my Alienware to upgrade ram and storage….there are probably videos on YouTube depending on make/model.

Mine looks pretty straightforward….but still right….lol….

Reactions: Devil Dancer

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Oh against the bugs it is totally Starship Troopers. Also with the whole subservient take on democracy which is hilarious.

Great thing is the difficulties levels since I think there is something for the casual folks or those where it is a running death gauntlet. Player at the higher levels it can feel like one is constantly getting killed. Also some literal epic extractions that I still remember somehow surviving and able to dive into the extraction shuttle as the time runs out.

Against bots its like being in the future Terminator franchise time except much more equal in fire power compared to movie franchise.
It's great man. Love HD2, very easy to jump in and play for one round or spend hours on it. Once you find a crew that knows what it's doing it's a ton of fun... still fun but less fun if you get grouped with people who don't want to work as a team and just charge off on their own.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
It's great man. Love HD2, very easy to jump in and play for one round or spend hours on it. Once you find a crew that knows what it's doing it's a ton of fun... still fun but less fun if you get grouped with people who don't want to work as a team and just charge off on their own.
That tracks with my experience as well. I have noticed post that last big patch no one is ever on the game coms which makes it slightly less fun. The other day I tried to keep track of the other three I'd catch up but before I knew it they'd move on so I ended up being a rear guard so was dying a bit more than I like but when the mission ended I ended up having double the kills of the next highest.

What are your favorite loadouts?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I got way, way into V Rising

Semi-isometric (because if you use controls you can move camera) but Diablo style, except it’s a light survival and base building game too. You’re a vampire and only need blood so it’s not hard to refill, your bases are locked into territories so it’s not a Minecraft type of freedom, you just build a base to make the stuff to kill the guys to upgrade the base etc. and so on…. but it’s really good. Great balance, can do it solo, engaging but not short lived, I’m definitely over 100 hours just enjoying myself and working to the end.

Game rules. You’re motivated to fight a ton of bosses but they’re not Souls level challenging just good fights, and it ramps up at a good scale. Likewise you’re motivated to go out and harvest resources or build your own in-house to upgrade to beat down new baddies. It’s a great loop and they refined it pretty well from a satisfaction standpoint, especially if you’ve played nearly any MMO.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That tracks with my experience as well. I have noticed post that last big patch no one is ever on the game coms which makes it slightly less fun. The other day I tried to keep track of the other three I'd catch up but before I knew it they'd move on so I ended up being a rear guard so was dying a bit more than I like but when the mission ended I ended up having double the kills of the next highest.

What are your favorite loadouts?
For a lot of missions I typically go with the Laser Guard Dog, Autocannon Sentry, and 500Kg Bomb as my base three and then swap out the fourth depending on the mission. If it’s rescuing evacuees I’ll throw in the EMS Mortar Sentry. If it’s taking out locations I’ll use the Eagle Airstrike, 380MM HE barrage, or the new Napalm barrage (especially if it’s a bug mission). Sometimes I’ll use the Eruptor Sniper Rifle as my primary weapon so my 4th stratagem will be the Stalwart.

My primary weapon for fighting machines is typically one that has explosive plasma or energy and I’ll use the Adjudicator vs the bugs. I like having the handheld grenade launcher as my secondary and I use the impact grenade as my throwable.

The laser guard dog is super underrated in my opinion. It’s like having a second gun firing for you that doesn’t run out of ammo and also acts as an alert / early warning system. Whenever I use it I’m usually leading in kills at the end. Only real downside with it is it’s a backpack weapon so you can’t use things like the Spear or Recoilless Rifle.

I like to make my build so I often have to do as little shooting myself as possible. Throwing down two turrets and having the guard dog and a bomb or barrage makes it so you can almost just stand there and pick off survivors. You do need teammates to have weapons that can take down the heavy stuff or gun ships if you go that route but most people like playing with a ton of bombs and cannons/rifles anyway so it’s normally not an issue.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada

wtf-is-this-john.gif

Soon, they will eliminate digital disks and make all games online only. After a couple of years when servers will shut down, you won't be able to play the game you bought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad