OT: Video Game Thread Part VIII

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Not sure if anyone else realized this, but Shadow of the Erdtree has one pretty glaring flaw: There’s about 4 big bosses who rush and brutally attack you within like a millisecond right after you pass traverse through the mist. How was this repeating pattern not picked up in QA testing lol? It makes it nearly impossible to use your spirit ashes right away, puts you on the backfoot at the jump, and is unnecessarily punitive. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Amorgus

TB87

May 30, 2018
I'm currently getting my shit rocked by the Scadutree Avatar (and Messmer, but I've only tried fighting him two or three times).

I finally beat that stupid Putrescent Knight today, so I've got that going for me.

For Scadutree Avatar:
- Time your roll/dodge into the line of thorns
- Hit it in its head whenever possible
- pray

For Messmer:
- Don’t use your spirit ash summons right away because he pounces on you practically right when your traverse the mist
- pray

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I do this all the time with bosses. I’d rather not spend countless hours toiling to defeat a tough boss. I have done it in the past but that’s not exactly fun. Final Shadow of the Erdtree boss is definitely tough as nails though. I accidentally made it to him (without doing the necessary exploration of the whole shadow realm. Had just 13 scadutree fragment blessings lol. I’ll try to defeat this boss later today (got 18 blessings now).
I had 16 at the end. Tried a quick swing around some old areas but had no luck. I did find every site of grace so I've been everywhere.

And yes, certain bosses you have to dodge until you get a chance to use your spirit ash, ESPECIALLY the last one. So goddamn annoying.

Reactions: TB87

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
For Scadutree Avatar:
- pray

For Messmer:
- Don’t use your spirit ash summons right away because he pounces on you practically right when your traverse the mist
- pray
That avatar does have a habit of leaving its head hanging down. Take advantage of those free headshots as much as possible, folks.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
For Scadutree Avatar:
- pray

For Messmer:
- pray
I've got my strategy down for the Avatar, I just need to work on my dodge timing. It's just tough so tough with it being a 3 phase fight. If I burn more than a couple flasks in the first phase I may as well start over.

Did you get that feeling of euphoria and exhilaration once you got em’ or was it more relief since that’s a wildly difficult boss?
I was f***ing HYPED after I killed Gael from Dark Souls 3 for the first time. That rat bastard took me about a week to finish off. That's probably my favorite boss fight of all time, in any game.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Did you get that feeling of euphoria and exhilaration once you got em’ or was it more relief since that’s a wildly difficult boss?
I never get euphoria. My friend does. I just get "Well I can move on with my life now." I want traditional narratives in my games to feel anything. My friend hates all handholding and gushes about the deep lore of Souls games and is obsessed with making new minmaxed builds. I just like the exploration and discovery aspect and basically suffer through the combat and lack of story. Mainly it's the only way to regularly share time with my friends since their families suck.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Finally beat Malenia last night!

Got sick of the embarrassing number of attempts (failures lol) that I just said f*** it and summoned 2 co-ops. I just hung back and blasted her with some sorceries while those two did all the melee dirty work 😆. 2nd phase of that fight is needlessly brutal (ditto the 2nd phase of the final boss in shadow of the erdtree). Only have a few bosses left in the whole game: 1 Ghostflame dragon, Crucible Knight Ordovis, and a few of those furnace golems.

Overall grade for Elden Ring: 9.7 out of 10. .3 deducted because they crossed the difficulty line (AKA fairness) with 2 of the bosses. Outside of those blemishes, I’m very comfortable calling Elden Ring one of the best games ever made and one of the best games I’ve ever played. Awesome stuff.

• Love

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Finally beat Malenia last night!

Got sick of the embarrassing number of attempts (failures lol) that I just said f*** it and summoned 2 co-ops. I just hung back and blasted her with some sorceries while those two did all the melee dirty work 😆. 2nd phase of that fight is needlessly brutal (ditto the 2nd phase of the final boss in shadow of the erdtree). Only have a few bosses left in the whole game: 1 Ghostflame dragon, Crucible Knight Ordovis, and a few of those furnace golems.

Overall grade for Elden Ring: 9.7 out of 10. .3 deducted because they crossed the difficulty line (AKA fairness) with 2 of the bosses. Outside of those blemishes, I’m very comfortable calling Elden Ring one of the best games ever made and one of the best games I’ve ever played. Awesome stuff.
I still haven't killed a furnace golem. My friend and I tested Seamless Co-op and attacked the first one. Even repeatedly respawning we gave up because you do get debuffs with each death until someone sits at a site of grace.

The most wonderful update to Seamless is you can now fast travel anywhere completely on your own instead of everybody having to vote on a location. It even shows you moving on the map in real time. The fact that it's just one guy who made this mod in his spare time is astounding.

TB87

May 30, 2018
I still haven't killed a furnace golem. My friend and I tested Seamless Co-op and attacked the first one. Even repeatedly respawning we gave up because you do get debuffs with each death until someone sits at a site of grace.

The most wonderful update to Seamless is you can now fast travel anywhere completely on your own instead of everybody having to vote on a location. It even shows you moving on the map in real time. The fact that it's just one guy who made this mod in his spare time is astounding.

The seamless co-op mod is pretty impressive.

Furnace Golem’s take patience. You need to use Torrent as much as possible. Attack their feet mostly. The ones who have armored feet require that you get to high ground and throw Hefty Fire Pots or Hefty Furnace Pots into their fire basket. Timing Torrent’s jumps when the golem fire stomps is essential too. Only reason I got those guys was because I wanted to get my moneys worth from this DLC. So I downed every single boss lol. Fantastic DLC. 2nd phase of the final boss fight can f*** off though. That was terrible.

Reactions: Amorgus

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Also, while it's getting to the final couple days, is anyone else watching Summer Games Done Quick? Been watching the bi-annual streams each year for the last several years. Great stuff.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
The seamless co-op mod is pretty impressive.

Furnace Golem’s take patience. You need to use Torrent as much as possible. Attack their feet mostly. The ones who have armored feet require that you get to high ground and throw Hefty Fire Pots or Hefty Furnace Pots into their fire basket. Timing Torrent’s jumps when the golem fire stomps is essential too. Only reason I got those guys was because I wanted to get my moneys worth from this DLC. So I downed every single boss lol. Fantastic DLC. 2nd phase of the final boss fight can f*** off though. That was terrible.
Thank God I found the Golden Braid talisman for phase 2. But that nuke attack still hurt like a mofo.

Furnace pots can hurt them and not just wake them? That makes no sense! I was figuring you'd have to somehow get a hefty freeze pot in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad