OT: Video Game Thread Part VIII

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Anyone see anything good in the steam sale? I see disco elysium is 4 bucks..I might jump on that...can't look at my wishlist at work lol

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Anyone see anything good in the steam sale? I see disco elysium is 4 bucks..I might jump on that...can't look at my wishlist at work lol

Disco Elysium is very much worth it. Excellent RPG … if you’re ok with basically no combat.

The fighting is all inside your head, parts of your psyche always trying to sway you.

I loved it.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Finally finished BG3.

What a ride! Best game I’ve ever played. My solo run was with a Paladin Oathbreaker, her damage output was insane by the end.

Started a co-op run a few weeks ago as a Monk because there’s no proper monk companion in the game. Punching stuff in the face is pretty fun so far.

• Haha
Reactions: trostol

trostol

Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Finally finished BG3.

What a ride! Best game I’ve ever played. My solo run was with a Paladin Oathbreaker, her damage output was insane by the end.

Started a co-op run a few weeks ago as a Monk because there’s no proper monk companion in the game. Punching stuff in the face is pretty fun so far.
I do need to finish that..but my pc gets so bogged down in Act 3

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I do need to finish that..but my pc gets so bogged down in Act 3

Yeah Act 3 is noticeably denser. I played on Xbox and it ran smoothly the whole game. First time I’ve ever played a CRPG on console and I gotta say I liked it. The radial wheels worked well once you get the hang of it, and real time exploration is better with a controller than a mouse.

What class are you playing as?

Reactions: trostol

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Anyone back into hockey sims lately?

I'm back into EHM but I see that FHM has been improving gradually with each release... anyone try out the 2023, FMH-10, edition? I'm asking because it's on a 75% off sale on steam.

Last edited:

trostol

Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Yeah Act 3 is noticeably denser. I played on Xbox and it ran smoothly the whole game. First time I’ve ever played a CRPG on console and I gotta say I liked it. The radial wheels worked well once you get the hang of it, and real time exploration is better with a controller than a mouse.

What class are you playing as?
Half Drow Ranger..which gets stupidly OP at higher levels lol

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Half Drow Ranger..which gets stupidly OP at higher levels lol

Nice. I've never played a ranger and didn't have one as a companion in my playthrough. Is Halsin a Ranger or Druid? Either way, I think I brought him on like one mission.

My Zariel Tiefling Paladin was pretty OP and I rounded it out with Gale, Astarion, and Shadowheart. I want to focus the next run with my Monk and, say, Karlach, Lae'Zel, and maybe Wyll. Or maybe just go full melee party.

I really like the fact that any party composition can succeed. The game feels really balanced, and the enemy variety feels like the entire Monster Manual makes an appearance.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I really like the fact that any party composition can succeed. The game feels really balanced, and the enemy variety feels like the entire Monster Manual makes an appearance.

There are a few options that are pretty overpowered — mostly level dips like 1 level fo Wiz then dump everything into Sorc. But something like Druid is clearly worse than other similar options and the game is still completely manageable. I would agree that’s good balance. You just don’t want to be miserable because of your preferred class(es). Some people want everything to be on completely equal footing. There’s just too much going on to ever achieve that.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
There are a few options that are pretty overpowered — mostly level dips like 1 level fo Wiz then dump everything into Sorc. But something like Druid is clearly worse than other similar options and the game is still completely manageable. I would agree that’s good balance. You just don’t want to be miserable because of your preferred class(es). Some people want everything to be on completely equal footing. There’s just too much going on to ever achieve that.

For me it comes down to having fun role playing with a class that can match that. Something like Bards and Druids have never appealed to me very much because of class mechanics, but they are definitely viable classes. Bards, in particular, I have read are quite powerful in 5E and BG3.

But I'm sure I could use some class dips to make them more fun for my playstyle.

Have you played through it?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
For me it comes down to having fun role playing with a class that can match that. Something like Bards and Druids have never appealed to me very much because of class mechanics, but they are definitely viable classes. Bards, in particular, I have read are quite powerful in 5E and BG3.

But I'm sure I could use some class dips to make them more fun for my playstyle.

Have you played through it?

You’re spot on in regards to Bards both for BG3 and 5e.

I did one time through by myself and one with my wife. I did a Sorcerer with a 1 level Warlock dip solo and then Sword Bard dual-wielding Hand Crossbows paired with her Warlock. Wonderful game.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
You’re spot on in regards to Bards both for BG3 and 5e.

I did one time through by myself and one with my wife. I did a Sorcerer with a 1 level Warlock dip solo and then Sword Bard dual-wielding Hand Crossbows paired with her Warlock. Wonderful game.

I'm considering a Sorcerer run since there aren't any companion Sorcs. What does the Warlock dip give you?

I'm guessing I should pick a race that gives armour and weapon proficiency? Something like Githyanki or Dragonborn?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Alright this Elden Ring DLC end boss is peak cheap-as-shit. I didn't understand why so many people were bitching about difficulty for the most part until I hit to the end. There's a few randos I just ended up running past because they were cheap as shit and the guy past them has the most ridiculous combo attacks. I hope you like trying to dodge 8-10 attacks in a row perfectly and repeatedly! Close-range Ashes of War become a Suicide Button.

• Wow
Reactions: TB87

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm considering a Sorcerer run since there aren't any companion Sorcs. What does the Warlock dip give you?

I'm guessing I should pick a race that gives armour and weapon proficiency? Something like Githyanki or Dragonborn?

I went Halfling because I love the rerolling 1s thing. I think a ton of races would work though.

I used Lock to get Light Armor Proficiency and then since I was a Charisma class, I wanted to be able to use Command.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Came across the most annoying boss in Shadow of the Erdtree so far: Scadutree Avatar. obnoxious is an apt descriptor.

This dude took me an embarrassing amount of tries to beat lol. 3 phase boss fights are just mean man 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: Amorgus

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So, anyway, TooManyGames is this weekend up in Oaks, and $184 later, I came home with copies of Faxanadu (for $4, hooray for the booth that forgot to get change this morning), San Francisco Rush and Goldeneye for N64, Shinobi III, and one of my four remaining Grail games, Dragon Warrior IV for NES.

Also got in a game of Blood on the Clocktower and got some freebies, including a Cirkul water bottle, which was nice since I almost bought one a few weeks ago.

I also grabbed Balatro from the Steam Sale. Not super heavily discounted, but I'm hearing a ton of great things about it, and I don't mind spending $13.50 on a good indie game.

Anyone see anything good on TV tonight?

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Came across the most annoying boss in Shadow of the Erdtree so far: Scadutree Avatar. obnoxious is an apt descriptor.

This dude took me an embarrassing amount of tries to beat lol. 3 phase boss fights are just mean man 😆
Yeah that was annoying. You keep exhausting your flasks because you think it's dead but nope. Rinse and repeat two more times. Even my friend asked "Did you fight the Sunflower yet?" and I'm like "Oh god, THAT thing."

Still a drop in the bucket compared to the end boss. I'd rather fight Malenia again.

• Wow
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama