OT: Video Game Talk (oh, also the Week before the All-Star Break Pre-Game Talk "archive")

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I played Fortnite for the first time tonight. I can't see why people like it. Terrible. I'm an old man I guess.
I was the same with PUGB. In that game's case it was the forced march to the center I didn't like. I much prefer DayZ but the community servers are pretty barren (low population) and the official servers are full of hackers.

I found a guilty pleasure game a couple of years ago called PayDay 2. Payday 3 dropped earlier this year and I immediately regretted the pre-order. Wow, what a piece of crap that was. I was really thinking my luck with games had just kind of hit the wall and I was going to wait until Arma 4 drops to get into something really new, but now @sethro109 has me pretty excited to give Black Myth Wukong a go.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I was the same with PUGB. In that game's case it was the forced march to the center I didn't like. I much prefer DayZ but the community servers are pretty barren (low population) and the official servers are full of hackers.

I found a guilty pleasure game a couple of years ago called PayDay 2. Payday 3 dropped earlier this year and I immediately regretted the pre-order. Wow, what a piece of crap that was. I was really thinking my luck with games had just kind of hit the wall and I was going to wait until Arma 4 drops to get into something really new, but now @sethro109 has me pretty excited to give Black Myth Wukong a go.
The state that PayDay 3 launched in was laughable. I know PayDay 2 was rough at launch as well, but that was/is just unacceptable. It sounds like it's gotten a little better since the launch, but at this rate it'll still be a few years before PayDay 3 is in a state that everyone was hoping for.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth

If you liked Payday 2, maybe checkout Crime Boss: Rockay City. It's pretty campy, but I've been playing the heists with my brother and it's kind of similar to Payday in some ways

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Hogwarts Legacy is indeed a good time, and I don’t really know anything about Harry Potter either.
I was going to ask if there was anyone else who didn't know much about the series that played the game.

I saw maybe half the movies but never read any of the books. I do like MMORPGs though as long as they're intelligently written. I lose interest if it's too much of the WoW quest styles... go skin ten rats, find 20 berries, kill 20 of X type creatures and then come back. That stuff just gets to me after a bit and I end up shutting down a fair amount of games before I even finish the story.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I was going to ask if there was anyone else who didn't know much about the series that played the game.

I saw maybe half the movies but never read any of the books. I do like MMORPGs though as long as they're intelligently written. I lose interest if it's too much of the WoW quest styles... go skin ten rats, find 20 berries, kill 20 of X type creatures and then come back. That stuff just gets to me after a bit and I end up shutting down a fair amount of games before I even finish the story.
I don't know much about Hogwarts Legacy, but Avalanche studios are pretty sold game devs. Although not highly touted, their last game before Hogwarts, Rage 2, was an absolute blast. I think that game just came out at the wrong time. Open world games like that were at an all-time high, and gamers were pretty much burnt out on the genre. I thought it was much more fun and fast-paced than any of the recent Ubisoft open world games.

As for Harry Potter, growing up, my family loved those movies and made me go with them to see them films as they released. They dragged me to 7 of the 8 films, and for me, with a movie series that I despise, that was the perfect ending. At the end of the 7th film, The main cast is on the run and that POS annoying elf was killed. In my head cannon, that's where the series will always end, and I will never watch that last film. Nowadays, my niece is obsessed with those movies and I know more than I ever wanted. She can even recite the films line by line. I just thank god she's never forced me to watch them with her. I can't go through that hell again.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
As for Harry Potter, growing up, my family loved those movies and made me go with them to see them films as they released. They dragged me to 7 of the 8 films, and for me, with a movie series that I despise, that was the perfect ending. At the end of the 7th film, The main cast is on the run and that POS annoying elf was killed. In my head cannon, that's where the series will always end, and I will never watch that last film. Nowadays, my niece is obsessed with those movies and I know more than I ever wanted. She can even recite the films line by line. I just thank god she's never forced me to watch them with her. I can't go through that hell again.
giphy.webp

:sarcasm:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I just don't get Harry Potter... but I feel I fall at the exact wrong age. Was a bit too old for the books when they came out, but not old enough to have kids that were into them and have that joint experience. I'm just glad people can enjoy the game.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I just don't get Harry Potter... but I feel I fall at the exact wrong age. Was a bit too old for the books when they came out, but not old enough to have kids that were into them and have that joint experience. I'm just glad people can enjoy the game.
Yeah, HP was a freaking phenomena. I remember playing an MMORPG the night one of the books launched and some dude ran into the capital city and started screaming "Dumbledore died!" and everyone wanted to kill him. Hindsight being what 20/20 that was a dick move, but at the time when I figured out what he was doing, it cracked me up watching all the reactions.

My brother would even take his kids to the bookstore and wait in line all night for the midnight release of the new stories as they came out. The kids would dress up in costumes, the whole nine yards. Pretty sure he got that from my mom, who pulled the both of us out of school to go see the first showing of Return of the Jedi way back in the before times.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
$700 bucks and the PS5 Pro doesn't even come with a disc drive or a vertical stand. Sony is being hella cheap here.

Edit: also the UK seems to be getting the screws here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
$700 bucks and the PS5 Pro doesn't even come with a disc drive or a vertical stand. Sony is being hella cheap here.

Edit: also the UK seems to be getting the screws here.

Yeah that is utterly absurd. Makes the case for PC gaming more than Steam or PC Master Race ever could.

Reactions: sethro109

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For the blokes who got the Playstation Remote Player, is it worth it? I get that there are lag issues at times along with having to keep your game station in sleep mode, but is the lag enough that it is not worth getting?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
$700?

Alright Nintendo, make the Switch 2 $400 and I'll get it on the first day or else!
My bet is $450 for Switch 2. The 2017 Switch was a $300 unit in 2017, the OLED has done well at $350. The 2017 price inflated to today is $400. Combine that with the clear market shift up in price and I expect $450. I'm absolutely Day 1 for Switch 2.

Reactions: JWK and sethro109

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
My bet is $450 for Switch 2. The 2017 Switch was a $300 unit in 2017, the OLED has done well at $350. The 2017 price inflated to today is $400. Combine that with the clear market shift up in price and I expect $450. I'm absolutely Day 1 for Switch 2.
As long as it has BC and gives some upgrades to existing games (looking at you, Tears of the Kingdom!). Or comes with a new Mario Kart.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I honestly watched, like, the first four Harry Potter films (whichever one where Rob Pattinson dies, that's the last one I saw) and haven't seen any since. A lot of movies Daniel Radcliffe has done outside of HP have been far more interesting (Guns Akimbo, Horns, Swiss Army Man). Guns Akimbo would be an awesome video game if they actually made it.

Oh, and not that anyone cares, I made it through the latest (and possibly last) entry in the Monkey Island series. Meh. It was okay.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As long as it has BC and gives some upgrades to existing games (looking at you, Tears of the Kingdom!). Or comes with a new Mario Kart.
Nintendo will certainly upgrade the games, but you'll be paying $70 for it. :laugh:

I'd bet a lot that Mario Kart 9 is in the Switch 2 release window. They have been working on a MK game for over 3 years now and the rumors around it have a lot of hype. If it doesn't launch with Switch 2, it'll be within 3-4 months. My bet is we get Metroid Prime 4 as a launch title, MK9 a month after, and new 3D Mario the month after that. All of those games have been in development for years and would start off the system with a bang. If the release is in March, we'll probably see a slowdown in the summer with some remasters and third party games... then another uptick for the holiday season. Nintendo likes to have a number of big games right off the bat to launch a system, then pause, then another onslaught.

Reactions: Soedy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is 450 dollars for how far off they have graphically going to be a good move? I don't necessarily care about graphics, but considering PS5 Pro is being built strictly on graphics, I am not sure Switch II can go the same marketing direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad