Waived: Victor Rask (Minnesota)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'd claim him and try to ship him at the TDL at 50%. If not he can be in the lineup as I have come to accept Montreal will never be healthy this season.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Feels like a really good add for a team like Montreal. They are desperate for NHL talent and someone who can produce points. Rask has never fit in well with the Wild and especially with Evason. But 10 points in 21 games despite averaging only 11 minutes a game of ice time and zero PP time is decent production.

Definitely the sort of player that on a bad team, where he can play Top 6 minutes and Top PP time, he probably hits ~0.65 PPG. If Montreal plays 30 games between now and the deadline(Dont know the exact number) I could see Rask putting up 20 points. Then at the deadline Montreal retains 50% and ships him off to a Contender perhaps even for a 2nd but if not, they shouldn't have issues getting a 3rd at least.

Reactions: Shad

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Feels like a really good add for a team like Montreal. They are desperate for NHL talent and someone who can produce points. Rask has never fit in well with the Wild and especially with Evason. But 10 points in 21 games despite averaging only 11 minutes a game of ice time and zero PP time is decent production.

Definitely the sort of player that on a bad team, where he can play Top 6 minutes and Top PP time, he probably hits ~0.65 PPG. If Montreal plays 30 games between now and the deadline(Dont know the exact number) I could see Rask putting up 20 points. Then at the deadline Montreal retains 50% and ships him off to a Contender perhaps even for a 2nd but if not, they shouldn't have issues getting a 3rd at least.
We already more or less saw this last year when he was centering Kaprizov and Zuccarello most of the time. He played about 14 min/game (including around 2 min/game on the powerplay) and had 23 points in 54 games. I doubt he ever sees a more favorable situation than that. Ryan Hartman's got 15 goals and 28 points in 31 games playing the same role this year.

Rask has some NHL level qualities, but overall he just isn't very good.

Reactions: Drewcifer and banks

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If I'm the Sharks, I'd definitely consider claiming him just because of what's happening with the team now with Couture and Pederson on protocol. They're low on centers and there's at least some small hope that he can be traded at the deadline provided no one else would want to claim him at 4 mil now or then.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
He has always had pretty bad vision for teammates, wanring to do everything by himself. Easy to stress?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You would think by now Uber and the NHL would have an endorsement deal to brand it Uber Squad instead of Taxi Squad.

Terrible fail from a marketing perspective.
Please please don't open that can of worms.

"Rossi gains the Red Bull red line, dekes across the BlueCross BlueShield blue line, pivots around the top of the Circle K, and scores!"

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
I don't know all that went wrong in 18/19 for Rask, but he hasn't really been a problem since aside from his cap-hit potentially preventing something. Never complained about his role and adjusted his game the best he could in every role he was asked to play. Zach Parise called himself a low-maintenance player before getting bought out which I found hilarious, but that is a good way to describe what Rask has been the last 2+ years. I'm not upset to see him waived as its overdue for at least one of the guys coming up(Boldy, arguably Dewar too) and he's obviously has no future with the Wild, but I do have a ton of respect for how he's conducted himself the past 2+ years. Hope someone claims him because he is an NHL caliber player and deserves it, just is worth about a quarter of his contract.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
He's really not as bad as Wild fans like to think. We need a whipping boy and are prone to wax hyperbolic on his faults. Next up: Greenway.

Our three best defensive players are out and it's beyond ridiculous to expect the team to tread water at the top of the standings. Esp considering our goaltending hasn't been as good this year. He wasn't keeping Boldy or Rossi from playing.

Hope he gets picked up and contributes on a team.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's really not as bad as Wild fans like to think. We need a whipping boy and are prone to wax hyperbolic on his faults. Next up: Greenway.

Our three best defensive players are out and it's beyond ridiculous to expect the team to tread water at the top of the standings. Esp considering our goaltending hasn't been as good this year. He wasn't keeping Boldy or Rossi from playing.

Hope he gets picked up and contributes on a team.

Yeah I agree. He's a fine bottom six player depending on his usage. He's not completely useless, he's just not a high flying offensive dynamo. He'll find a place next year with a contract that's more in line with what he brings and he'll be fine.

Reactions: rynryn

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seriously, though, Rask has some decent puck skills, a good shot, a decent hockey IQ, and can play either C or W. No attitude problem, at all. He is a slow'ish skater, though a decent one, and for a guy who is 6'2", not very physical. Can certainly be a bottom six player. You just don't want to be paying him 4M/year, which is what he is getting now.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Some team should claim him, then retain 50% at the deadline and trade him for a 4th/5th.

Don't habs need warm bodies?

Edit: Actually, I'm guessing Minnesota would be willing to retain 15-20% and trade him for free. Then the team that trades him could retain 50%, making his cap hit at the deadline even smaller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad