Confirmed Trade: [VGK/NJD] Alexander Holtz and Akira Schmid for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Crazy they gave away Holtz and Marino for spare parts. Holtz was their big pick and only had one full year up. Vegas fleeced them on this.
Meh. Holtz can’t really make the team and seemingly has been available for awhile. I suspect he didn’t have a lot of value, and Cotter played well in a bottom six role when I watched him. He’s a good fit for the Devils. Marino didn’t look good last year even though everyone knows he got overused. It’s tough to clear space for cheap. I don’t think NJ feels it in the end.

If they make the playoffs no one cares about the returns not being big enough in these deals.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Crazy they gave away Holtz and Marino for spare parts. Holtz was their big pick and only had one full year up. Vegas fleeced them on this.
The Marino thing seems to be part of a plan. Seems like pesce is already a devil, but we'll see how it goes.

I expected them to flip Marino for another nhler, but ultimately doesn't matter as they'll just spend the freed up money

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Honestly all these pieces are probably not going to amount to much so while Vegas certainly wins on theoretical potential, at the end of the day, I don’t think we look back at this trade in 3 years and think “oh my gosh, what a steal for team ‘x’”. At that point, Cotter is probably recirculating through some other team’s bottom line-up, Holtz is being written off as Victor Olofsson 2.0 at best, Schmid is leading EV Zug to the Swiss title and the 3rd rounder will be some prospect with little chance of being anything impressive.

Reactions: Oneiro and Forge

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
The Marino thing seems to be part of a plan. Seems like pesce is already a devil, but we'll see how it goes.

I expected them to flip Marino for another nhler, but ultimately doesn't matter as they'll just spend the freed up money
Plus two 2nds from Utah is good value, if we were only taking picks. Eventually led to the Russian goalie they took just today

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
complete nothing trade tbh

the problem is devils fans have spent years convincing themselves that holtz was actually good so now they actually believe it and they’re freaking out haha

Reactions: TS Quint

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Smart of the New Jersey Devils to sink Holtz value then trade him at the lowest. That's how you run an organization.
Or Holtz isn’t actually that good of a player and the Devils are trading him before his value fully tanks and they end up losing him for nothing.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
I truly cannot see what Vegas' vision is. Not that Cotter is some unrecoverable loss but they moved two solid performers for picks and projects.

Neither of these moves really helps the cap situation so I don't f***ing get it
Maybe we got a signed note from the league, "Pretend to care about the salary cap but if you can't no biggie, we can try again next year.... Love Gary"

• Haha
Reactions: HanSolo and Forge

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If VGK lets Holtz play his offensive game, he should be a consistent 20 goal scorer. He put up goals while playing with mostly scrubs for 12 minutes a night last year. His play away from the puck certainly needs to improve, but he can definitely fill the net.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Jersey fans will forget about Holtz a few games into Cotter’s tenure. He’s the best player in the trade, as we speak. If Holtz ever becomes something more than he is, he’s gonna have to start earning it.

Reactions: Bone Density

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I doubt Holtz is going to grow under a demanding coach like Cassidy but we'll see. He's got a great shot, some nice passing but everything else is mediocre to bad. Poor compete, bad off-puck positioning, weak in 50/50 battles, not involved defensively. If this wasn't the case, he would've been in the Meier or Markstrom deals. And likely the latter would've been done at the deadline last year. Teams see a kid is putting up 28 pts in very little TOI and they do their homework. And I guess most didn't like what they saw.

Devils like Daws over Schmid, have a lot of goalies in the system now. I think they felt like they know what he is, despite the tough situation he was put in.

I'm not thrilled with the return but if Cotter has speed, is okay defensively and hits, that's really all we need.
Cotter is a very hard-working lunch-pail player who occasionally will make an amazing scoring move or shot and is well worth his contract. The downside is that he's got a slightly deficient hockey IQ, probably from not being developed as an NHL-likely player until he was. Hate to lose him, you got a good one.

If Holtz doesn't work out, McCrimmon will dump him faster than month-old gravy. Schmid seems to be the real exchange here with Logan Thompson leaving and Vegas is very good at turning goalies around.

Reactions: Forge and Oneiro

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Cotter is a very hard-working lunch-pail player who occasionally will make an amazing scoring move or shot and is well worth his contract. The downside is that he's got a slightly deficient hockey IQ, probably from not being developed as an NHL-likely player until he was. Hate to lose him, you got a good one.

If Holtz doesn't work out, McCrimmon will dump him faster than month-old gravy. Schmid seems to be the real exchange here with Logan Thompson leaving and Vegas is very good at turning goalies around.

McCrimmon apparently said Schmid is the plan at third string and they're still in the market for a backup.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
McCrimmon apparently said Schmid is the plan at third string and they're still in the market for a backup.

Which makes the Thompson trade even dumber IMO. Should have given LT the reigns. Moved the more injury prone Hill and signed whatever backup they're planning on. LT-____-Schmid plus an extra 4 million to spend up front would be better for the team.

Reactions: hangman005

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
It’s funny. We’ve seen an incredible asset management trade and a horrible asset management trade by the Devils today.

At the end of the day, the Devils needed to cut their losses with Holtz and open up a roster spot for someone who’s going to play to the Devils identity and the way management and staff envision this team.

Edit: Grammar

Reactions: The Grinder

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Which makes the Thompson trade even dumber IMO. Should have given LT the reigns. Moved the more injury prone Hill and signed whatever backup they're planning on. LT-____-Schmid plus an extra 4 million to spend up front would be better for the team.
Are they not both super injury prone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad