Verhaeghe @ 8.5 or Nylander @ 11.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Better long term deal?

• Total voters

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
First of all, the rumor is 8.5 AAV not 8. Adjust the poll and be accurate.

Verhaeghe:
Career high 42 goals 73 points
Playoff PPG: 30 goal 65 point pace

Nylander:
Career high 40 goals and 98 points
Playoff PPG: 30 goal and 65 points

So Nylander is a measurably better regular season player, can play center, and produces exactly the same in the playoffs as Carter does. To be honest, it's a laughable poll and shades of Stutzle vs Matthews

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Verhaeghe easily. 5v5 monster, playoff monster, gets his points in harder leverage situations.

I don't think a bit of increased PP production is worth 3 mil lol. (while also decreasing 5v5 play, Because Verhaeghe is the better 5v5 player)

Reactions: Chaos2k7

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Verhaeghe easily. 5v5 monster, playoff monster, gets his points in harder leverage situations.

I don't think a bit of increased PP production is worth 3 mil lol. (while also decreasing 5v5 play, Because Verhaeghe is the better 5v5 player)

They have the exact same goals and points per game in the playoffs, how is one a playoff monster and the other isn't?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
They have the exact same goals and points per game in the playoffs, how is one a playoff monster and the other isn't?

You can't be as out to lunch as you are pretending to be.

How does playing dumb help your argument? I don't get the strategy?

EDIT: I just saw your name. Didn't realize you had changed your picture. Nevermind, all is clear now.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
one was defeated by headaches....j/k, you raise a fair point! i think theyre both quite good in the playoffs

Nylander has been our most consistent guy in the playoffs since the Habs series. Easily Toronto's best player that time of year

You can't be as out to lunch as you are pretending to be.

How does playing dumb help your argument? I don't get the strategy?

Not even sure what to say. You think if they had Nylander these last few years they do worse than with Carter? I don't see any argument to support that statement. If anything they probably have 2 cups by now.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
lol. Because one has done it in two years across two finals. Not across 9 years twiddling their thumbs in round 1.

And Nylander isn't even a bad playoff performer himself, infact among the core 3 in Toronto he's by far the most adaptive to playoff hockey.

But he's not close to being on Verhaeghe's level in the playoffs these past two cup run.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
lol. Because one has done it in two years across two finals. Not across 9 years twiddling their thumbs in round 1.

And Nylander isn't even a bad playoff performer himself, infact among the core 3 in Toronto he's by far the most adaptive to playoff hockey.

But he's not close to being on Verhaeghe's level in the playoffs these past two cup run.

So basically, one is a Leaf so he is worse.

I said my peace on the topic, so I am done.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Like almoat every player of similar talent and capability take them vs the leaf player. The few exceptions play for similar types of teams with choking issues like Sabres, Preds, Sens etc

Leaf core are straight ass come playoffs

Nylander is the best of the bunch but the fact that the comparison is to verhaghe a secondary core piece for the panthers vs a primary one in barkov, tkachuk, or reinhart while Nylander makes 11.5M (higher than any of those 3) tells you all you need to know

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I voted Nylander initially because I think he's more capable of being the main guy on a line, whereas I put Verhaeghe in that "high end complimentary type" who shouldn't be your top guy on a line.

The only pause is the gap in pay (duh). I'm not a fan of paying someone over $11 million unless they're legitimate Hart/Art Ross threats most seasons.

So now I don't know what to think. I think Nylander's "better" and more capable of being the top guy on a line, but is he worth $11.5 million to be that?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So basically, one is a Leaf so he is worse.

I said my peace on the topic, so I am done.
No, because you're A. being very disingenuous by counting 8 of Verhaeghe's games from Tampa getting like 9 mins a game.

B. Verhaeghe's last 3 playoff runs would all be career highs for Nylander. But hey, Nylander will rise up the all time playoff point leaderboard 5 points at a time!

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
No, because you're A. being very disingenuous by counting 8 of Verhaeghe's games from Tampa getting like 9 mins a game.

B. Verhaeghe's last 3 playoff runs would all be career highs for Nylander. But hey, Nylander will rise up the all time playoff point leaderboard 5 points at a time!

So we can discount Nylanders games getting low minutes under Babcock?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So we can discount Nylanders games getting low minutes under Babcock?
if you want to compare getting 4th line deployments along with 9 mins, to top 9 deployments, getting 15 mins a game, then you go ahead lol.

And what's more relevant is recency, Verhaeghe from Tampa isn't the same player. Nylander walked into the league as a top 6 forward.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'll take the star player who drives his line over a (very good)complimentary winger.

If that's what Verhaeghe comes in at it's gonna be viewed as a bad deal in short order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad