Verhaeghe @ 8.5 or Nylander @ 11.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Better long term deal?

• Total voters

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'll take the star player who drives his line over a (very good)complimentary winger.

If that's what Verhaeghe comes in at it's gonna be viewed as a bad deal in short order.

Oh boy

Nylander got paid like a superstar based on half a seasons play but the player making 3M less is more risky

Nobody had Nylander making anywhere close to 11.5M year ago.
Verhaeghe has easily proven himself to be a 8M player on the othet hand

How confident are you that Nylander is a consistent 100 player moving forward?

Last edited:

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Nylander is the better player but still overpayed imo for someone that "only" has 1 season finishing top 10 in points and another in the top 20.

I think he's an 80-89 point player going forward. Considering Verhaeghe is in the low 70s but with better even strength numbers, I don't think the additional 3 million is worth it.

I mean, Tkachuk and Barkov make less than him and they have multiple elite seasons.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
First of all, the rumor is 8.5 AAV not 8. Adjust the poll and be accurate.

Verhaeghe:
Career high 42 goals 73 points
Playoff PPG: 30 goal 65 point pace

Nylander:
Career high 40 goals and 98 points
Playoff PPG: 30 goal and 65 points

So Nylander is a measurably better regular season player, can play center, and produces exactly the same in the playoffs as Carter does. To be honest, it's a laughable poll and shades of Stutzle vs Matthews
Here, let me try.

Verhaeghe playoff career-high: 11 goals, 21 points
Nylander playoff career-high: 4 goals, 10 points

Verhaeghe season average: 32 goals, 62 points
Nylander season average: 30 goals, 71 points

Doesn't sound like you were being honest here.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Here, let me try.

Verhaeghe playoff career-high: 11 goals, 21 points
Nylander playoff career-high: 4 goals, 10 points

Verhaeghe season average: 32 goals, 62 points
Nylander season average: 30 goals, 71 points

Doesn't sound like you were being honest here.

The strangest part of his "argument" is that he says that Nylander and Verhaeghe have "the same" playoff output.

But one of them makes $3.5 million more, per season.

So if you had the choice of two players who had the identical playoff production, but one of them cost $3.5 million more than the other one, it would be a pretty easy, no brainer decision, right?

Well, he agrees it's an easy, no-brainer decision and he's cleverly going with... the guy who makes $3.5 million more per season.

Very well thought out take.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Nylander is the better player it all depends on if you think you can get something better with the 3m savings

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Nylander because he's been my favorite Leaf for a decade. But with the salary diff, it might be Verhaege tbh. He is Justin Williams in terms of scoring big goals. I don't see him having a better career going forward than Joff, but we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00