Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

When is the press conference?

GettyImages-1066479994.jpg

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Full list of Bruins Retired numbers:

Retired Numbers​

• 2 – Eddie Shore (1926-40)
  • 3 – Lionel Hitchman (1925-34)
  • 4 – Bobby Orr (1966-76)
  • 5 – Dit Clapper (1927-47)
  • 7 – Phil Esposito (1967-75)
  • 8 – Cam Neely (1986-96)
  • 9 – Johnny Bucyk (1957-78)
  • 15 – Milt Schmidt (1936-55)
  • 16 – Rick Middleton (1976-88)
  • 22 – Willie O’Ree (1958-61)
  • 24 – Terry O’Reilly (1971-85)
  • 77 – Ray Bourque (1979-00)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
this is a good signing. now pasta doesnt have to fight anymore.. seriously no more fighting for pasta.
I was honestly horrified that Pasta would get seriously injured doing that. I wanted to slap Monty for allowing it. Maybe it was his way of showing the front office how deep the lack of toughness was? In any case Montgomery took a terrible chance IMO and judging by this off season the FO realized the deficiency and went big in doing something about it.
For this, I applaud them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Hungus and BMC

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
So on some of his previous teams they called him "Big Zee" and he's already said "please don't call me Big Zee (with deference to Chara)" so we can't call him Little Zee he's way too big for that so I guess Mister Zee?

I am just so pumped for next season now I wish it started today.

Reactions: capecodder

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Most feared hitter in pro hockey since Byfuglien.

14 goals second only to Makar in 23.

Perfect playoff D and a great complimentary partner to McAvoy. I have wanted to go after him for years and I'm very happy that our general manager is nailing this offseason!

Sweeney made a pretty big philosophical shift - they are going after teams with bigger, heavier, faster, physical guys

He already told Kastelic he’s going to be prominently featured including PK rotation and needs to develop that mindset this summer and study up on it

He mentioned Max Jones skillset is a big kid who can get in on D ~ like a gunner on special teams in punt coverage getting downfield

He targeted him

Bruins are going to be the hunters and put stess on the opposing teams

Chicago when Keenan did this as good as anyone - they had two high end skilled lines and two that really got after you

I was sitting at the old Garden watching this and Chicago was killing the Bruins defense - and i specifically thought Sweeney is getting destroyed every dump in and how the F is he still standing

He knows as well as anyone he lived it

Time to have a bottom 6 that Hunts

And Bruins defense and G are so good they will be able to thrive

I’m pretty sure it was Dupont article and Wally pasted it here

Take a read

Honestly I thought he was just - ‘yah ok, I’ll take Kastelic….and I only got this amount so I’ll take Jones’, and all may have some truth but there is a shift and explains why Boqvist gone and others passed over

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Sweeney made a pretty big philosophical shift - they are going after teams with bigger, heavier, faster, physical guys

He already told Kastelic he’s going to be prominently featured including PK rotation and needs to develop that mindset this summer and study up on it

He mentioned Max Jones skillset is a big kid who can get in on D ~ like a gunner on special teams in punt coverage getting downfield

He targeted him

Chicago when Keenan did this as good as anyone - they had two high end skilled lines and two that really got after you

I was sitting at the old Garden watching this and Chicago was killing the Bruins defense - and i specifically thought Sweeney is getting destroyed every dump in and how the F is he still standing

Take a read

Honestly I thought he was just - ‘yah ok, I’ll take Kastelic….and I only got this amount so I’ll take Jones’, and all may have some truth but there is a shift and explains why Boqvist gone and others passed over
For me the biggest difference in the Florida series was they broke out of their zone with ease, we struggled with the pressure they put on our D. That will change, I hope

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's been so long since the Bruins had ONE mean guy on defense that was actually a regular. I can't f***ing wait to see guys get trucked.
Bruins are set up to annihilate the Leafs

I’m kind of hoping Monty takes his foot of the gas - from a selfish standpoint I’ve got a couple of Leafs defenders and I don’t want them getting hurt and screwing their ratings

For me the biggest difference in the Florida series was they broke out of their zone with ease, we struggled with the pressure they put on our D. That will change, I hope
Bingo

Florida would be smart to just play to make playoffs and come TDL go out and get whatever they need - likely defense with OEL & Montour gone

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

He targeted him

Take a read

The funny thing about this is that Sweeney rather denies it. To quote from his presser, when asked about the fact of the Bruins adding size to their roster, he said:

“You know, that wasn't our intention. We've always wanted our pace, ability to arrive on time on the forecheck, we certainly had an eye towards that, possessing the puck, and the byproduct was that we found guys that do that and they happen to be a little bit bigger. But there was never staying away from small skill if that’s what you're referring to, because these guys all have the skill, they just come in a bigger package and they all skate.”

I get what Don's saying here, but there's no way it's the whole truth. They still want skill and they want to be stronger on pucks and on the forecheck, however that comes. Sure. But you can't look at the players they added and tell me that there wasn't also a deliberate policy to add size and snarl. I think there's absolutely been a change in direction in that regard, whether it's admitted or not. Especially when the GM still talks about pace as a supposedly priority but it's one of the things, probably Jones aside, that they actually haven't added.

I find with Sweeney, like a lot of people, you've really got to look at what he does rather than what he says. Fortunately in this case a lot of it looks to be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I like the signing and am looking forward to seeing him in a spoked B. The Zadorov I've watched in the past can be a little suspect in his own zone, and that is a concern, especially if he is getting top 4 minutes and tough matchups (I suspect to start he will be paired with Carlo as that seems to make the most sense). At the same time, I noted Sunday that if Sweeney signs him, it will be because the team thinks he has the ability to play a more responsible defensive game and will benefit from the structure and coaching. I am really looking forward to see how he does because he has a great shot which has been lacking, and the nasty which has also been pretty thin on the ground.

Would Zadorov and Carlo be able to break out and move the puck effectively enough? Or would they be prone to opposing forwards getting in behind them? From the way Sweeney was talking in his recent press conference, which as I've just acknowledged you take with a big pinch of salt, he seems to be thinking more in along the lines of Zadorov-McAvoy and Lindholm-Carlo, at least as a starting point. That feels like a more natural fit to me. One bigger body who's going to have a slightly more defense-centric and physical role, and one who's going to take on more of the playmaking. I also got the impression they're sick of Chucky getting beat up, and Zadorov again presents as the natural answer to that.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Would Zadorov and Carlo be able to break out and move the puck effectively enough? Or would they be prone to opposing forwards getting in behind them? From the way Sweeney was talking in his recent press conference, which as I've just acknowledged you take with a big pinch of salt, he seems to be thinking more in along the lines of Zadorov-McAvoy and Lindholm-Carlo, at least as a starting point. That feels like a more natural fit to me. One bigger body who's going to have a slightly more defense-centric and physical role, and one who's going to take on more of the playmaking. I also got the impression they're sick of Chucky getting beat up, and Zadorov again presents as the natural answer to that.

You could be right. I don't think Zadorov is a first pairing guy, but Gryz never was either and they made a good pair, so it could work. I am pumped for the season to come to see what we've got and what the team looks like on opening night.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Okay I’m well aware this is a cheat. But I’m gonna say it anyway.

What do…
Adam Boqvist
Sam Girard
Mackenzie Weegar
and
Tyson Barrie
…all have in common?

It’s a reach. I know. Easily dismissed. But each of these guys have had their best offensive seasons with Zadorov on their blueline.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
You could be right. I don't think Zadorov is a first pairing guy, but Gryz never was either and they made a good pair, so it could work. I am pumped for the season to come to see what we've got and what the team looks like on opening night.

I agree, don't think Zadorov is really a top pair guy either. But Charlie is capable of partially carrying a guy if the pairing is right, we've seen that with Gryz as you said plus a very raw Lohrei. And Lindholm and Carlo can both take on a lot of minutes themselves, plus I fully expect Lohrei to get pushed up at times as well. So I think you can hopefully get away with having Nikita as McAvoy's default partner while still managing his minutes and not exposing him too much to situations that perhaps don't play to his strengths. The nice thing is they have options, and I'm sure Monty will try most of them.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I think they'll mix and match a lot throughout the season, like they did this year. Can imagine some games it might be nice to have Zadorov and McAvoy together to make a star player hear footsteps all night. Others, might be nice to spread the toughness out. Some games you might need Lindholm-McAvoy to suffocate a line and you're depending on Zadorov to step up with Carlo, etc.

Defense is going to look really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad