Proposal: Vej + Schmaltz to PIT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
That’s a lot for the Pens to give up just to finish in 9th again.

Also, has discussed yesterday, goaltending is not your biggest need.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Why would you say that? The current starter is a UFA and has shown he can't be trusted, thus is probably going to move on because he will want too much money for what he has produced and they don't have any prospects even close to NHL ready.

Goaltending is definitely the biggest need.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That’s a lot for the Pens to give up just to finish in 9th again.

Must not know anything about the Penguins.

Why are Schmaltz and Vejmelka worth that kind of haul?

Vej’s contract. Schmaltz is a PPG player on a solid deal. Honestly think it’s potentially not enough value.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
3rd team fan here, wouldn't the Coyotes be better served keeping Karel? Since he'll likely be better with a better team around him, trading him will just yield pennies to the dollar of his actual value, so might as well let him keep the team afloat while integrating the kids, and then could trade him as his value goes up. He's also only 26 which is pretty young for a starting goalie so he can definitely be part of the future. (I mean you can definitely ship him out and bring in someone else to fit the timeline, but y'all will need a goalie sometime and can only keep so many picks such that it'd be redundant to keep flipping players away instead of keeping them for your team's ascension).

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
DeSmith and Jarry had save percentages .9 and .15 higher than league average.

Unless you’re trading for a knock out starter, which this proposal ain’t, they aren’t getting back to the postseason.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Lol. Downplay a nearly PPG winger making $5.85 million for 3 more years and then mention Ty Smith as if he’s some sort of prize. (Not directed at OP to clarify - this isn’t an insulting offer by any means - I just don’t think it’s quite meaty enough for both players in one package).

Also Vejmelka was certainly one of the better goalies in the NHL this year and is signed for a ridiculous $2.75 million for two more years.

IMG-1874.jpg

I’d wager Armstrong is done just collecting picks who won’t be ready for 4 years. They are at critical mass with their amount of young prospects and picks. Going to have to pony up something much more readily NHL appealing if you want Schmaltz and Vejmelka combined in one deal. These are prime assets, in their prime ages, signed to below market deals (WAY below in Vejmelka’s case).

DeSmith and Jarry had save percentages .9 and .15 higher than league average.

Unless you’re trading for a knock out starter, which this proposal ain’t, they aren’t getting back to the postseason.
There are better metrics in 2023 to measure goalie performance than save%.

Jarry is fine, if the Pens are gonna re-sign him so be it but you’ll be hard pressed to find better performance to cap hit ratio for a nailed on starter than Vejmelka who carried the Coyotes on his back with a blueline featuring Juuso Valimaki as the #1 defenseman by season’s end and a rotating cast of characters all year long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
If we're coughing up futures like that I'd be asking for Crouse over Schmaltz. The Pens are way too easy to play against and are in desperate need of some sandpaper.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Why are Schmaltz and Vejmelka worth that kind of haul?
2C
1G
Both locked up on good contracts. Not really saying they are but if I’m Arizona, I don’t move them without a big offer. It would be very poor asset management to basically give Marino away for nothing though.

Pittsburgh should hold onto future first until at least the deadline because it’s a real possibility they’re high picks. If they’re going to do that, they need to send Granland the other way as a cap dump.

Hextall did so bad as GM of this team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Schmaltz would be a big step in the right direction in terms of injecting some speed and dynamic ability to the Penguins stagnant Top-6.

This is a lot to give up, but he's a really good player on a really solid contract.

The biggest factor in this value proposition is...what do you think of Vejmelka? Is he the real deal, or are you buying a mirage? Personally i don't like the value on this overall because i'm not a big fan of him. I don't have a lot of confidence there. But if you do have that confidence he'll be the solution in net...the value is right. That's the tipping point though, for me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Schmaltz would be a big step in the right direction in terms of injecting some speed and dynamic ability to the Penguins stagnant Top-6.

This is a lot to give up, but he's a really good player on a really solid contract.

The biggest factor in this value proposition is...what do you think of Vejmelka? Is he the real deal, or are you buying a mirage? Personally i don't like the value on this overall because i'm not a big fan of him. I don't have a lot of confidence there. But if you do have that confidence he'll be the solution in net...the value is right. That's the tipping point though, for me.

I would likely target another goaltender too which is why Desmith is in it.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Lol. Downplay a nearly PPG winger making $5.85 million for 3 more years and then mention Ty Smith as if he’s some sort of prize. (Not directed at OP to clarify - this isn’t an insulting offer by any means - I just don’t think it’s quite meaty enough for both players in one package).

Also Vejmelka was certainly one of the better goalies in the NHL this year and is signed for a ridiculous $2.75 million for two more years.

IMG-1874.jpg

I’d wager Armstrong is done just collecting picks who won’t be ready for 4 years. They are at critical mass with their amount of young prospects and picks. Going to have to pony up something much more readily NHL appealing if you want Schmaltz and Vejmelka combined in one deal. These are prime assets, in their prime ages, signed to below market deals (WAY below in Vejmelka’s case).

There are better metrics in 2023 to measure goalie performance than save%.

Jarry is fine, if the Pens are gonna re-sign him so be it but you’ll be hard pressed to find better performance to cap hit ratio for a nailed on starter than Vejmelka who carried the Coyotes on his back with a blueline featuring Juuso Valimaki as the #1 defenseman by season’s end and a rotating cast of characters all year long.

So the Pens would be better off trading for Sam Montembeault then? Because he has a better GSAx over the past two years and they were both on comparably crap teams. Montembault was -17.3 last season and Vejmelka was -23.2. And he makes 1 mil next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad