Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Tampa did it once to a player who ended up being legitimately injured (Kucherov).

Vegas did it THREE. (3). TIMES.

THREE YEARS IN A ROW.

TO THE SAME PLAYER.

WHO WAS VERY CLEARLY NEVER INJURED AND VERY CLEARLY LIED ABOUT IT.

STONE EVEN HAD THE BALLS TO GLOAT ABOUT IT.

that's blatant cheating and they were ALLOWED to get away with it because Bettman is too chickenshit to actually investigate it.
Chicago did it also but that's okay because that's my team.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
So what's special about this case that they approved termination rather than let him sit on LTIR full year?
He plays for Vegas.

Ever since vegas was screwed in the playoffs with that major penalty call the NHL seems to let them get away with anything.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Vegas spoke to Bettman what's the next cap circumvention they can pull and this is what Bettman presented to them. And then Vegas presented this option to Lehner.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Looks to me like what the NHL agreed to is that if a player report to your team they don’t have to count towards your team’s cap. Can anyone actually tell me why this is unfair or do people just hate Vegas so much that they don’t even care if what they’re saying makes sense?

The unfair part if the precedent that this sets moving forward. I don't know the specifics of this particular situation, but what's to stop a team/player in the future from working out an agreement that the otherwise LTIR player not show up for his physical and the team just pays him out the rest of his contract, as is the case here?

From a player's perspective - you're getting your money either way and it saves you a trip. From the team's perspective, it may cost you real money (depending on how the situation impacts insurance vs. the team paying out the rest of the contract), but if it allows your team to avoid having to be stuck on LTIR all season, any additional cost may be worth it.

Regardless on how this all came together, it is clearly a competitive advantage for Vegas to have Lehner off the books completely versus LTIR and the league seems to have no problem with it. Meanwhile, the league docked the Devils draft picks and fined them for the Kovalchuk contact (yes, I'm still bitter) that was never even approved in the first place and thus had absolutely zero benefit for the team out of some "spirit of the CBA" bullshit.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Or you can just take 5 minutes to read into what’s actually going on and realize there’s nothing special about it

If there's nothing special about it, can anyone tell Carey Price not to show up to camp next year? We'll gladly keep paying him without having to play around with LTIR.

Either the player did something that warrants his contract voided, or the team gets to keep him on LTIR. Anything else can be abused.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The unfair part if the precedent that this sets moving forward. I don't know the specifics of this particular situation, but what's to stop a team/player in the future from working out an agreement that the otherwise LTIR player not show up for his physical and the team just pays him out the rest of his contract, as is the case here?

From a player's perspective - you're getting your money either way and it saves you a trip. From the team's perspective, it may cost you real money (depending on how the situation impacts insurance vs. the team paying out the rest of the contract), but if it allows your team to avoid having to be stuck on LTIR all season, any additional cost may be worth it.

Regardless on how this all came together, it is clearly a competitive advantage for Vegas to have Lehner off the books completely versus LTIR and the league seems to have no problem with it. Meanwhile, the league docked the Devils draft picks and fined them for the Kovalchuk contact (yes, I'm still bitter) that was never even approved in the first place and thus had absolutely zero benefit for the team out of some "spirit of the CBA" bullshit.

Kovalchuk contact, actually was in the violation of the CBA and the team was punished for it. That HAS NOTHING to do with this situation...

Lehner has a lot of issues he's dealing with his own health and i don't think the union was gonna allow the team to outright terminate the contract, league and union both know why he didn't report. So they settled the issue.

Reactions: carouselofgoalies

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Kovalchuk contact, actually was in the violation of the CBA and the team was punished for it. That HAS NOTHING to do with this situation...

Please cite the violation

Lehner has a lot of issues he's dealing with his own health and i don't think the union was gonna allow the team to outright terminate the contract, league and union both know why he didn't report. So they settled the issue.

Oh, I forgot the part of the CBA that says if a player is dealing with issues he shouldn’t count against the cap. Makes total sense now.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Again, the oddity isn't that a player who didn't report to his physical doesn't count toward the cap. It's that Lehner will get paid despite a material breach in contract.

You should be mad at the NHL/NHLPA/Knights for doing Lehner a solid which sets a really weird precedence, not for alleviating the cap hit from the team when the player didn't report to camp.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Again, the oddity isn't that a player who didn't report to his physical doesn't count toward the cap. It's that Lehner will get paid despite a material breach in contract.

You should be mad at the NHL/NHLPA/Knights for doing Lehner a solid which sets a really weird precedence, not for alleviating the cap hit from the team when the player didn't report to camp.

Isn’t the other side of the story that there was an understanding that he would not be reporting. Makes you wonder why the NHL caved here and didn’t pursue the issue further if they had such a strong case. I’m sure it was just out of the kidness of their hearts. Where does this leave Ryan Johansen and the Flyers. Is the NHL going to come in and find a solution?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

What’s more reasonable to assume, that Vegas is paying Lehner millions of dollars out of the goodness of their hearts or that their case for termination isn’t as open and shut as people are implying here?

Money that a club pays a player should count against the cap seems like a really straightforward framework that should be easy for everyone to agree on. I guess not.

Reactions: Korpse

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Absolute bullshit. Other GM's should be raising hell

I guess Minnesota should've just had their two paperweights not report for camp and then come to a settlement so they didn't have huge buyout cap hits.

Reactions: Blackjack

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Isn’t the other side of the story that there was an understanding that he would not be reporting. Makes you wonder why the NHL caved here and didn’t pursue the issue further if they had such a strong case. I’m sure it was just out of the kidness of their hearts. Where does this leave Ryan Johansen and the Flyers. Is the NHL going to come in and find a solution?
The understanding that he wouldn't report means there was an understanding he wouldn't be put on LTIR.

The NHLPA and Johansen are grieving their case against the Flyers and the NHL, so isn't that already happening?
What’s more reasonable to assume, that Vegas is paying Lehner millions of dollars out of the goodness of their hearts or that their case for termination isn’t as open and shut as people are implying here?

Money that a club pays a player should count against the cap seems like a really straightforward framework that should be easy for everyone to agree on. I guess not.
Their case for termination is that Lehner didn't show up for his physical, so no, I wouldn't say the case for termination isn't open and shut.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
And people get push back on when small market fans bitch/complain about the league enforcing rules on them that don't apply to small market teams. If a team like the Devils, Sens or Sabres do this, they're getting told to f*** off and deal with it.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s going to come out that this has something to do with his ongoing bankruptcy case, and settlements with his so-called creditors, being able to be expedited on future earnings, etc.

The NHLPA got involved to help him negotiate a settlement, after Lehner had threatened to get his deal terminated, so some of his so-called creditors, who he feels got him into the mess with scamsters, wouldn’t get paid the insane interest and fees they were trying to charge, plus to repay money he never personally received.

Some of the crazy aspects of his bankruptcy, isn’t your normal bankruptcy as most people would think. For example, he didn’t borrow $25 million cash and not pay it back. He was taken advantage of, so scamsters basically, could steal his money. For example, things like asking him to invest $200k, which he did, then those scam artists attaching him to secure loans for the company, they ultimately took out, and left him responsible for money he never even seen. They borrowed against his signature basically.

He’s a great example to every athlete, or person for that matter, NOT to just blindly sign things when you start earning lots of money. The guy has lost everything for not protecting himself.

So the NHLPA and the NHL, from what I’ve heard, are actually helping him out in many ways with this settlement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad