Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Vegas likes to pull strings.

I see Lehner going to the KHL or retiring. Unless he signs a PTO elsewhere.

It's Lehner refusing to report, Vegas is just dealing with a shitty situation.

Current options seems like:
1. Lehner is dealing with some setbacks and doesn't want anything to do with the NHL right now.
2. Lehner is healthy but doesn't to play and want to get his money anyway.
3. Lehner hates Vegas so much he wants to throw away millions to get out.

Unless you believe option 3, Lehner is not looking at playing pro hockey. Also, he would most likely go back to Sweden, not the KHL in an Euro return.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not using PuckPedia.

Dude... Please look at it again. That cap is counting Lehner.........
1726713966389.png

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Yeah, I mean, Vegas is an easy target for the 'ruthless' narrative, but c'mon, all the guy has to do is show up and at least pretend to have chronic back pain or whatever and he gets 4.5 million bucks. If he can't even manage that, he deserves to have the contract terminated.
I bet you he's killing it with the snakes and doesn't need Vegas chump change

• Haha
Reactions: cptjeff

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I'd rather have teams in the league going all out to win a Cup and doing whatever is allowed to do so....

as opposed to teams going all out to finish last which is against the whole idea of sports.

But hey everyone has their opinion.

yet only one team seems to be skirting the rules at will without any sort of penalties or repercussions. Curious.

Dude... Please look at it again. That cap is counting Lehner.........
View attachment 907871

usually it doesn't. at least when the season is under way.

Last edited:

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
He’s not healthy enough to fly out to Vegas for a medical exam?
I'm not his shrink nor his trainer, nor his agent (if he still has one), so I'm not aware of the full extent of his physical and cognitive capabilities.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was bad enough that he was currently unable to fly to Vegas, though. Hence why I said I wouldn't be surprised if his health prevented him from defending his rights.

Reactions: DaveG and HaNotsri

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Vegas is already 4 million over the cap even without him on the roster, but cap space isn't the concern for them because it doesn't apply to them anyways.

The cap applies to all teams and the league will punish teams for being over the cap. If Lehner was healthy to play then the team has until the beginning of the season to get under the cap or be penalized for being over it. But Lehner is probably still recovering form his hip surgery thus would have to be placed on LTIR like any other team do for injuried players and they need the space to have a replacement for said plater. The NHL does monitor how teams use LTIR and medical check on the players every so often to make sure LTIR is being used properly.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Could backfire for them if he shows up healthy enough to not be on LTIR lol. Should just let it rest and enjoy not being stuck with his contract on the cap.

If Chicago could make Hossa's allergy to hockey equipment stick, I think Vegas can can handle Lehner. If his back is good enough to suit up, his mental health clearly isn't...

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
If Chicago could make Hossa's allergy to hockey equipment stick, I think Vegas can can handle Lehner. If his back is good enough to suit up, his mental health clearly isn't...

It's not his back. He had double hip surgery. Couple that with him always carrying a lot of weight and there is pretty much no shot he is playing pro hockey again.

Reactions: DaveG

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Please. He's obviously not healthy enough to fulfill them.

The problem is that he may not be healthy enough to fight for what he is due.

He should be able to work things out with the team to where perhaps the physical that he needs to do can be done elsewhere where more possible for him to attend?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dunno, all the talk about Lehner rubs me the wrong way. The guy has battled, or maybe still is battling, a lot of demons. Easy to sit and judge. Hope the dude is OK.

You can hope Lehner is okay while also acknowledging that Vegas is well within their rights for terminating his deal for not upholding his end of the deal.

Having mental health issues doesn't excuse you from the responsibilities you have in this case.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Maybe the snakes got him.

In all serious I do hope Lehner can get himself straightened out. Skipping out on a physical and now potentially millions of dollars is not something a person with their shit together would do. Hopefully somebody is helping him or else I'm afraid the Robin Lehner story will not have a happy ending.

Reactions: Figgy44 and DaveG

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Maybe the snakes got him.

In all serious I do hope Lehner can get himself straightened out. Skipping out on a physical and now potentially millions of dollars is not something a person with their shit together would do. Hopefully somebody is helping him or else I'm afraid the Robin Lehner story will not have a happy ending.

It'll depend on how the process of terminating the contract for failure to show up and his agent and the NHLPA would responded to it.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I dunno, all the talk about Lehner rubs me the wrong way. The guy has battled, or maybe still is battling, a lot of demons. Easy to sit and judge. Hope the dude is OK.
This. It was a feel good story many years ago, but mental illness is exactly that....an illness. There's no cure either, it's just treating symptoms. If Lehner has done anything he's got a reason, he's sick. It may cost him the salary, but it's more important we hope he can get back on track with the meds and support he needs (if that his what's happening here).

Don't blame Vegas, and I don't blame Lehner. Shouldn't really be badmouthing either one here.

How many dudes going through that or worse would show up for a physical to make 5 million?
Serious mental health issues? Not many....

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Lehner has seemingly gone off the grid and is doing his own weird shit at this point. I don't blame Vegas for not wanting to pay him $5 million even though it wouldn't count against the cap.

If he's not reporting to the team, why should they pay him?
It sounds like double talk by the Vegas boyz doesn't it?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Lehner has seemingly gone off the grid and is doing his own weird shit at this point. I don't blame Vegas for not wanting to pay him $5 million even though it wouldn't count against the cap.

If he's not reporting to the team, why should they pay him?
To even have it not count against the cap via LTIR he still has to show up for a psychical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad