Palworld

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I have to say the way this game's success has people melting down on Twitter is more entertaining than the game itself lol. Idk if its Nintendo fanboys or what but people are so angry over a game that obviously isn't meant to be taken seriously, its hilarious.

Reactions: Andrei79

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Played it for a few hours yesterday. Fun enough premise but feels like a game that you need to play with friends after a certain amount of hours of solo play to keep things from getting stale.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Even though this game does look like soulless survival crafting slop, I will give it a fair shake since it’s on gamepass

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Having a blast with it. Super addictive gameplay loop and the base-building is fun. Kind of hilarious that it took a $30 indie Pokemon clone to show everyone just how horrendously GameFreak has treated the franchise.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Nintendo zealots provide top tier entertainment.

This game is fantastic.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA

Nintendo is "investigating."
This is just them trying to tell people to stop telling them.

One guy released a Pokemon mod for Palworld and within hours received a DMCA.

If Nintendo had a problem with the game they would have axed it in development.

Reactions: Seedtype

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
What is the end game/point of it? It's definitely addicting but I'm having trouble finding something that will keep me going.

I had a great time with Grounded, but I also waited until Grounded was complete to play it so that there was an actual point to it.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Surprised more people aren't talking about this. Really fun gameplay and a great idea for a game. It's actually hilarious how Pokémon couldn't make a game with this one's success

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Surprised more people aren't talking about this. Really fun gameplay and a great idea for a game. It's actually hilarious how Pokémon couldn't make a game with this one's success
It's not surprising considering Game Freak have a poor record at reinventing themselves. They have been relying on nostalgia with remakes and pumping out as many games as possible. It makes for uninspired games that have been getting more and more bugs but people still buy them.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
News Release : Sep. 19, 2024 "Filing Lawsuit for Infringement of Patent Rights against Pocketpair, Inc." (nintendo.co.jp)

Nintendo is suing the devs. This is not about the design more about game mechanics (specificailly it seems about catching creatures:
I think I found the patent :
STORAGE MEDIUM STORING GAME PROGRAM, GAME SYSTEM, GAME APPARATUS, AND GAME PROCESSING METHOD Publication number: 20230191255 Abstract: In a first mode, an aiming direction in a virtual space is determined based on a second operation input, and a player character is caused to launch, in the aiming direction, an item that affects a field character disposed on a field in the virtual space, based on a third operation input. In a second mode, the aiming direction is determined, based on the second operation input, and the player character is caused to launch, in the aiming direction, a fighting character that fights, based on the third operation input. Type: Application Filed: September 21, 2022
US Patent Application for STORAGE MEDIUM STORING GAME PROGRAM, GAME SYSTEM, GAME APPARATUS, AND GAME PROCESSING METHOD Patent Application (Application #20230191255 issued June 22, 2023) - Justia Patents Search
This was filed at an appropriate time, no doubt to coincide with Legends: Arceus, and unfortunately looks like it would cover Palworld. Specifically the accuracy and catch rate calculation stuff (not in the abstract, but it's in the main body of the patent).
Note this is the US patent, but they probably have similar claims in Japan. Also, unfortunately, the claims are probably narrow enough to stand up in court, while being broad enough to cover Palworld.
Source: NeoGAF).

Don't know what to think of it.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm torn about how to feel about this. On one hand, I hate massive companies being litigious toward smaller companies. But on the other hand, it's pretty obvious that this game is a Pokémon ripoff... Haven't played the game, but it seems like a lot of people enjoy.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm torn about how to feel about this. On one hand, I hate massive companies being litigious toward smaller companies. But on the other hand, it's pretty obvious that this game is a Pokémon ripoff... Haven't played the game, but it seems like a lot of people enjoy.
Yeah same. I see the internet is up in arms over this but Palworld looked (I haven't played it) super similar to Pokemon's specific game loop.

From what I understand with Nintendo's IPs, it's their world and we're all just living in it. They only do things how they want to do them and the consumers just deal with it. Apparently there's been a lot of frustration with the Pokemon series lately, I wouldn't know myself, but I can empathize with people being angry at Nintendo here.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm curious where this goes. Pocketpair's game engine which they reused in Palworld predates all these patents. Nintendo's aggressive patenting seems to date to late 2021 and early 2022 from what I've seen people write.

Palworld is essentially Pokemon Breath of the Wild. I get they're not the most upstanding group you would want to win a court case. It's clear what they were doing (ripping off Nintendo and not just with Palworld) and they were massively successful at it to where they rival the biggest Switch game sales numbers with an early access game that had no marketing behind it.

But I don't like the idea of Nintendo having an enforceable patent of a creature coming out of a high tech device (spherical or not) and the mechanical controls of how that's done with joysticks or button pads. I don't like the idea of patenting holding a glider over your head to glide off a cliff to the ground safely in a video game. These kinds of patents are bad for the game industry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad