Lehner will get paid, but is not counting against the cap

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Because Lehner didn't report for his physical? Why should they have been forced to put a player who didn't report on LTIR?
Of course, they would not have been forced to put him on LTIR. What they would've been forced to do, is terminate his contract. Which Lehner and the NHLPA would then grieve, and it would end up in a settlement where Lehner would still be paid something AND most likely Vegas would get a cap hit (retroactively if needed). This is a clean way to get that contract out of their capsystem, while the owner is still paying him of course.

Do you really not see how enticing this would be for pretty much every team, where the owner is willing to pay more to make the team more competitive (which should mean all 32 teams)?

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Of course, they would not have been forced to put him on LTIR. What they would've been forced to do, is terminate his contract. Which Lehner and the NHLPA would then grieve, and it would end up in a settlement where Lehner would still be paid something AND most likely Vegas would get a cap hit (retroactively if needed). This is a clean way to get that contract out of their capsystem, while the owner is still paying him of course.

Do you really not see how enticing this would be for pretty much every team, where the owner is willing to pay more to make the team more competitive (which should mean all 32 teams)?
He isn’t showing up. I doubt there would be a cap hit or grievance. He didn’t uphold his portion of the contract. It’s pretty cut and dry.

According to what I’ve read it seems like he can’t report for his own legal issues? I don’t know.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Getting reports that VGK has been offered 20 year old Gretzky as compensation by the league, just ridiculous

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Which is why I'm questioning why Lehner is still getting paid. I disagree that Vegas would have had to pay a dime of his remaining contract if the NHLPA grieve when Lehner didn't show up for his physical.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I guess details probably to come but I don’t understand why such a clear breach would find VGK paying him at all or, referencing post right above (sorry on mobile and having issues or id quote), what grounds the pa would even have to grieve

Reactions: Peen and Romang67

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I guess details probably to come but I don’t understand why such a clear breach would find VGK paying him at all or, referencing post right above (sorry on mobile and having issues or id quote), what grounds the pa would even have to grieve
If it turns out Lehner is on a psychic ward and thus unable to report, or something similar, I will take a bit less issue with the league for "doing the good thing" and allowing Vegas to basically support him while he's unable to fulfil his contract.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It is a "gift" to Vegas and Lehner. Look at 26.15 of the CBA. They can't put him on LTIR to circumvent the cap (i.e. having a player without a bona fide hockey injury not on the active roster) because he won't take their fitness tests. But these are still payments to a non-roster player who would otherwise put them over the cap. Simply disclosing these payment, which are made in lieu of cap space, doesn't satisfy the CBA.

The NHL knows it has a delicate issue with a player suffering some kind of something and yet Vegas needs help. The way to satisfy it is simply to allow the circumvention.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Shock.
gift2.gif

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
This is basically the NHLPA bending the NHL over.
Kinda? I mean, there is no chance Lehner would have passed the physical even if he had shown up. Lehner hasn't played hockey since April 2022. He played a combined 66 games in 2020-2022. He was falling apart long before he had the season ending surgery in August 2022.

All he had to do was show up to prove that. But he didn't.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am fine with the Vegas side, a team shouldn't be punished because a player doesn't properly show up and put the effort into playing and fulfilling his contract. The contract should be null and void at this point in my opinion. Vegas should not have to pay this guy a dime.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I get it, but what exactly prevents a player from not reporting to its physical and still getting paid, while allowing the team to not use its LTIR?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
So now teams can gently suggest injured players not show up for physicals?

Player gets paid.. and team gets all the cap space?

Wtf is the NHL doing?

They just make it up as they go. Its f'n ridiculous.

Reactions: Saga of the Elk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad