Lehner will get paid, but is not counting against the cap

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's a Lehner win more than anything. I don't think there was any way he would count towards the cap given he did not satisfy his end of the bargain. Same as any other contract violation.

A recent example was Nichuskin who was suspended and in the assistance program. He did not count against the Avs cap.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Pretty sure every other team would’ve had to put him on LTIR. But apparently Vegas is allowed to somehow pay him but not have any salary cap consequences whatsoever for…reasons????
Would they have? He didn't show up to take his physical. Could they even have put him on LITR without that?

IMO, weirdest thing about all of this (except Lehner, of course), is that Lehner is getting paid. He's in breach of contract. Not sure what's going on there.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm guessing what's happened is that Lehner isn't able to pass the physical to be considered to be on LTIR. Vegas probably terminated his contract after that, but because everyone is aware of Lehner's mental and financial situation, they're still willing to pay the remainder of his contract, as long as it doesn't count against their cap to do so.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
serious answer: I think Vegas obviously get perks but I don't really see it here? Players are required under the CBA to take physicals. By missing his, Lehner violated the CBA. If anything this is just a win for Lehner who still gets paid despite Vegas having a strong argument to terminate his contract? Or rather a win for his numerous creditors.

joke answer: League also announces Vegas gets Ottawa's 2027 1st round pick

Did he not report to camp? Not reporting to camp sounds like a breach of contract to me. It's reasonable to me then to conclude that his salary shouldn't count towards the cap, because a breach of contract like that probably means that he's not getting a paycheque from the knights regardless.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
This doesn't feel like a gift to Vegas but a gift to Lehner.

Vegas wanted to cancel his contract (valid reason to do so) Means no cap hit and no money.
They got no cap hit, but still have to pay the money.
Seems like this is the first time they've actually gotten a negative from the league.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
362177.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It's a Lehner win more than anything. I don't think there was any way he would count towards the cap given he did not satisfy his end of the bargain. Same as any other contract violation.

A recent example was Nichuskin who was suspended and in the assistance program. He did not count against the Avs cap.
If the Avalanche were applied to the same standards, I'm pretty sure they would be happy to tell Nuke to stay the f*** away in Russia snorting coke and collecting pay cheques, if that opened up the Avs over 6M in capspace. They are currently talking about welcoming Nuke back because they don't have any other option.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Would they have? He didn't show up to take his physical. Could they even have put him on LITR without that?

IMO, weirdest thing about all of this (except Lehner, of course), is that Lehner is getting paid. He's in breach of contract. Not sure what's going on there.
Clearly he’s not in breach and Vegas tried to terminate him unfairly.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This doesn't feel like a gift to Vegas but a gift to Lehner.

Vegas wanted to cancel his contract (valid reason to do so) Means no cap hit and no money.
They got no cap hit, but still have to pay the money.
Seems like this is the first time they've actually gotten a negative from the league.
No but you see, having one extra LTIR slot is a massive unfair advantage.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If the Avalanche were applied to the same standards, I'm pretty sure they would be happy to tell Nuke to stay the f*** away in Russia snorting coke and collecting pay cheques, if that opened up the Avs over 6M in capspace.
And that would have happened if he was refused re-instatement. But while in the program that was exactly the standard. He was under a contract suspension and he did not count against the cap. The difference is he wasn't paid and wouldn't get paid but the Avs did and would have the cap space.

This is a win for Lehner more than anything as he violates his contact conditions and somehow still gets paid. But it's a violation and as such is under a contract suspension for playing purposes so he shouldn't count against the cap. Just like every other player on contract suspension.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
Pretty sure every other team would’ve had to put him on LTIR. But apparently Vegas is allowed to somehow pay him but not have any salary cap consequences whatsoever for…reasons????
Probably because he didn't show up for his medical so he could be put on LTIR. The only one who seems to actually have benefit is Lehner who still gets paid instead of having is contract terminated.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So if he was actually in breach of his contract, he’d be getting zero money.

Rich people aren’t just giving away millions for fun
Hence why this isn't a "big win" for Vegas. The fact that Lehner failed to appear for his physical is material fact. It's not a question. That's a breach of the contract. You don't think the Vegas org could think of a better use for 5 million real dollars than helping Lehner pay off his creditors? They tried to terminate the contract, the NHL didn't let them.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
And that would have happened if he was refused re-instatement. But while in the program that was exactly the standard. He was under a contract suspension and he did not count against the cap. The difference is he wasn't paid and wouldn't get paid but the Avs did and would have the cap space.

This is a win for Lehner more than anything as he violates his contact conditions and somehow still gets paid. But it's a violation and as such is under a contract suspension for playing purposes so he shouldn't count against the cap. Just like every other player on contract suspension.
The point here is this: this allows teams get out of players cap hit by paying them to stay away. Of course the teams would prefer to terminate the contract, but that would be grieved 99% of the time by the NHLPA and would be a mess. This is a clean way to get out of a cap burden.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Probably because he didn't show up for his medical so he could be put on LTIR. The only one who seems to actually have benefit is Lehner who still gets paid instead of having is contract terminated.
NO. Vegas is benefiting that they don't have to fight Lehner in an appeal to get out of his cap hit, and that might not even be guaranteed to happen. Retroactive caphits can occur for terminations gone bad.

The owner is losing money, but from the team sporting perspective Vegas is absolutely doing a highway robbery here. And a lot of the teams in this league would probably be more than happy to spend extra to gain more capspace. Not all owners, but plenty of them.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
NO. Vegas is benefiting that they don't have to fight Lehner in an appeal to get out of his cap hit, and that might not even be guaranteed to happen. Retroactive caphits can occur for terminations gone bad.

The owner is losing money, but from the team sporting perspective Vegas is absolutely doing a highway robbery here. And a lot of the teams in this league would probably be more than happy to spend extra to gain more capspace. Not all owners, but plenty of them.
This only makes sense if Lehner was actively trying to make the team and there was a possibility he could've been cleared. Odds are Lehner would've failed the physical, would've been put right back on LTIR and wouldn't have counted against the cap anyway. The only material difference is it's one less LTIR slot filled up. I don't see that as some grievous injustice to the rest of the league.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I see both sides of it.

Vegas is paying Lehner but not on LTIR.

Vegas will be in LTIR at some point this year soon don't worry guys.

A small small advantage but in reality he didn't meet his contract obligations.

Players union wins by keeping Lehner paid.

NHL / Vegas win by having him off the boons.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The only material difference is it's one less LTIR slot filled up. I don't see that as some grievous injustice to the rest of the league.
Which, if you are at all familiar with how the NHL salary cap works, is VERY SIGNIFFICANT! Teams want to avoid using LTIR if they can, because that accrues cap space. LTIR is not a "get out of jail free" card, it has consequences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad