Vatrano cross-checks Kostin and gets knocked down with a left hook

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Any time you punch someone without a challenge to a fight, in hockey that is considered a sucker punch. If every cross check in a hockey game was an invitation to turn around and punch someone, we would see it dozens of times per game and this thread wouldn't exist.

It's already been pointed out by numerous posters but many of you seem to be duped by the thread title and SJ broadcast in the clip into thinking Kostin was just innocently on his way to the bench before being cross checked. If you actually watch the full clip, he chicken wing elbows Vatrano in the side of the head on the way by, which more than earned a cross check in return. He threw a cheap shot, took a cross check in retaliation and then threw a sucker punch with no invitation to fight. Punk move on Kostin's part

View attachment 916168
So what's worse a "sucker punch" where the guy sees it coming or a "sucker crosscheck" to your upper arm? because I've been punched a lot of times in hockey and most of the time I'd rather take a gloved punch than a crosscheck.

Either way not even sure why there is a thread this is a pretty nothing play.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
So what's worse a "sucker punch" where the guy sees it coming or a "sucker crosscheck" to your upper arm? because I've been punched a lot of times in hockey and most of the time I'd rather take a gloved punch than a crosscheck.

Either way not even sure why there is a thread this is a pretty nothing play.

The elbow to the side of the head and gloved punch by Kostin were both more dangerous than the crosscheck by Vatrano IMO. Those crosschecks don't tickle either, don't get me wrong

Reactions: Daz28

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Only penalty should go against Vatrano. No penalty for defending yourself

But Vatrano was elbowed first. So are you suggesting he could have sucker punched Kostin instead of a crosscheck and it would just be an example of defending himself? And the penalty would have thus been on Kostin?

Or are we just going to pretend the elbow that started it all did not happen?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
kostin caught vatrano with an elbow prior to the crosscheck. vatrano's crosscheck was in retaliation. but of course, no one actually cares about reality and just wants to shit on vatrano because he got sucker punched by some useless pylon who will be out of the league soon

the fact that kostin wasn't tossed is pathetic

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
I don't think a lot people in this thread know what a sucker punch is. It's impossible to sucker punch someone who is looking directly at you. Also, it was embellishment by Vatrano, your feet don't jump back/up when you get buckled.

Reactions: Fatass

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
Duplicate

I don't think a lot people in this thread know what a sucker punch is. It's impossible to sucker punch someone who is looking directly at you. Also, it was embellishment by Vatrano, your feet don't jump back/up when you get buckled.
It’s definitely possible lol what

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
So, you think that players should just assume they're about to be punched in the face at all times? It's hockey, not boxing. Also thanks for demonstrating you in-fact did not know what a sucker punch was.
You think after physically engaging with another player and squaring up, that being punched while directly looking at the guy is sucker punching. Sorry he didn't scream out "I'm about to punch you!". To you, any first punch is a sucker punch. :laugh:

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
You think after physically engaging with another player and squaring up, that being punched while directly looking at the guy is sucker punching. Sorry he didn't scream out "I'm about to punch you!". To you, any first punch is a sucker punch. :laugh:

If by "squaring up" you mean "facing someone", then sure. Facing someone doesn't mean you are fair game to be punched. And again: just because you don't know what a sucker punch is, doesn't mean nobody else does.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikki Potnick

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Don't think it was embellished at all. He caught a player much smaller than him and who wasn't expecting a gloved punch to the jaw in that situation.
The player started flying before the punch even hit him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad