Value of: Vasili Podkolzin

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
0.64 ppg in his rookie season in the AHL (28 games)
0.66 ppg in his second season in the AHL (39 games)

not much of improvement in production
Vancouver will have big cap problems next year, a ton of roster spots to fill due to pending UFAs and will need a cheaper bottom six in general as they need to give big raises to EP and Hronek.

They’ll need this guy in that mix since he's a cheap contract.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You weren’t the only one. He was ranked in the top 5 pre draft by many, and was considered a bit of a steal at #10. Scouts saw something that wasn’t there, I guess. Similarities between him and Kaako.

John Garretts KD

Aug 4, 2024
The Canucks have a logjam of wingers now and Podkolzin could be on the outside looking in.

The projected roster looks something like this:

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser
DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Heinen - Suter - Sherwood

Extras: Di Giuseppe, Aman, Podkolzin, and potentially any of Lekkerimaki, Raty, Sasson, Karlsson, and/or Bains.

I believe Podkolzin will be waiver eligible this season, so the Canucks may wish to deal him before the season begins. Podkolzin has a decent floor as he has a great motor and work ethic, so he likely can play in the bottom 6 with some room for improvement. The Canucks just don’t seem to have any room for him unless he shows really well during training camp/pre-season.

Are there any young defencemen in a similar position as Podkolzin? Young, some NHL experience but failing to become full-time NHLers, and ideally were relatively high draft picks? The only name that comes to mind is Soderstrom, but I believe he is much more likely to bust than Podkolzin, so he’s probably a bad target for the Canucks.

Reactions: David71

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
He doesn't explicitly say it, but its obvious he doesn't have a lot of patience left for the AHL.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He doesn't explicitly say it, but its obvious he doesn't have a lot of patience left for the AHL.

Has had opportunities in the NHL and done nothing with them. Don't like the AHL? Prove you deserve to be in the show. That said he requires waivers this season so I imagine he'll get a good long look before hitting waivers. All the bottom 6 signings Vancouver made in free agency doesnt really bode well for him though

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Fabbro for Podkolzin?

Preds have a 3rd line spot up for grabs (if Glass is moved) and Canucks get a RD that can swap in and out with Desharnais that’s better than Juulsen and Friedman. Personally I don’t want to trade Fabbro and I think it creates another hole but Brunette seems to not like him.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He's someone I would love Anaheim to target as a bottom six/top nine forechecker.

Maybe something around helleson or ian Moore?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's someone I would love Anaheim to target as a bottom six/top nine forechecker.

Maybe something around helleson or ian Moore?

The thing is, it just makes absolutely no sense for the Canucks to trade him. Because if he has any chance of being that sort of "bottom-6/Top-9" complementary player forechecker and grinder (which is basically what his upside looked like at the draft to me)...he's a player the Canucks desperately need on that relatively cheap contract.

So unless a team has a cheap, established version of that (with his size that is much needed too), i just don't see how he's even tradeable really.

Hoglander is the trade chip, if anyone.

Reactions: Else Ermine

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Fabbro for Podkolzin?

Preds have a 3rd line spot up for grabs (if Glass is moved) and Canucks get a RD that can swap in and out with Desharnais that’s better than Juulsen and Friedman. Personally I don’t want to trade Fabbro and I think it creates another hole but Brunette seems to not like him.

I'd do it but the cap doesn't really work for Vancouver

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The thing is, it just makes absolutely no sense for the Canucks to trade him. Because if he has any chance of being that sort of "bottom-6/Top-9" complementary player forechecker and grinder (which is basically what his upside looked like at the draft to me)...he's a player the Canucks desperately need on that relatively cheap contract.

So unless a team has a cheap, established version of that (with his size that is much needed too), i just don't see how he's even tradeable really.

Hoglander is the trade chip, if anyone.
It only makes sense if they think there is a real possibility he wont make the team in a month. Waiting until it's time to put him on waivers will only sap any leverage they have.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I don't think his value is too high. Seems like he lacks the intelligence to work a cash register. He could maybe land as a greeter.
Have you heard how much his English has improved since coming to Canada? He's a Russian meathead that looks like a goon, but he's a really good kid, and has always been considered "highly coachable".

Intelligence is not his issue. It's his skills. He just hasn't displayed any real offensive ability to this point.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Canucks in a tough spot. I dunno if he would clear waivers if they tried to sneak him thru, but I dunno if teams would pay a good asset for him either.

They might get something from a team taking a flyer on him, would a 5th-6th rd pick or meh prospect be worth it tho? Honestly I'd probably take my chances that he wins a spot on camp if I'm VAN

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Canucks in a tough spot. I dunno if he would clear waivers if they tried to sneak him thru, but I dunno if teams would pay a good asset for him either.

They might get something from a team taking a flyer on him, would a 5th-6th rd pick or meh prospect be worth it tho? Honestly I'd probably take my chances that he wins a spot on camp if I'm VAN
He’s a Russian Puljujarvi, he has the ability to be a good player but he can’t put it all together. He’s usually a step behind the play. If he can somehow put everything together he will be a great middle 6 player

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
He’s a Russian Puljujarvi, he has the ability to be a good player but he can’t put it all together. He’s usually a step behind the play. If he can somehow put everything together he will be a great middle 6 player
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you actually writing this. It isn't even difficult and the usual alternative isn't funny, even a little.

Reactions: Pip
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad