Value of: Varlamov to Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
The solution to this issue is expanding the deal to include Mayfield.

Barrie, Koskinen, 1st rounder-2022, one of Savoi, Lavoie, Benson, Tullio or A 3rd-2023.

for

Mayfiels
1st = Moving Barrie
3rd = moving Kosk

What arr you ACTUALLY sendibg for Mayfield and Varlamov?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The solution to this issue is expanding the deal to include Mayfield.

Barrie, Koskinen, 1st rounder-2022, one of Savoi, Lavoie, Benson, Tullio or A 3rd-2023.

for

Mayfiels
Mayfield complicates the deal and that just isn't good return for Varlamov and Mayfield, assuming that's what you meant.

Varlamov for Koskinen and a 1st round pick is fair for both sides, assuming Varlamov waives, which isn't a guarantee.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Mayfield complicates the deal and that just isn't good return for Varlamov and Mayfield, assuming that's what you meant.

Varlamov for Koskinen and a 1st round pick is fair for both sides, assuming Varlamov waives, which isn't a guarantee.
I can’t see Varlamov waiving to play in Canada infront of a team with a worse shot of winning then he had the previous 3 seasons. Plus he’s very close with Sorokin. Now if Semyon went to Calgary (who doesn’t need goaltending)/Colorado, that would give him a true shot at a cup this year.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I can’t see Varlamov waiving to play in Canada infront of a team with a worse shot of winning then he had the previous 3 seasons. Plus he’s very close with Sorokin. Now if Semyon went to Calgary (who doesn’t need goaltending)/Colorado, that would give him a true shot at a cup this year.
The past three seasons is a sunk cost and highly irrelevant to his decision now.

I'm not saying he would waive, who knows? But I am saying that between this year's Isles and this year's Oilers, the Oilers have a better shot at winning the Cup, especially considering he'd be filling their biggest weakness.

Reactions: slim2001

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The past three seasons is a sunk cost and highly irrelevant to his decision now.

I'm not saying he would waive, who knows? But I am saying that between this year's Isles and this year's Oilers, the Oilers have a better shot at winning the Cup, especially considering he'd be filling their biggest weakness.
This is true but with the Covid restrictions up north, Varly would probably decline the trade anyways.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Skarek is coming so if Isles can unload Varlamov they'd have cap space which is very valuable. Go Sorokin 60 and Skarek 20 games next year.

Edmonton could LTIR Keith/Kassian (like Tampa did with Kuch and Vegas is doing with Stone) and take his cap hit and extra year on to free the isles up 5 mill to pursue a forward at TDL (if they are in playoff hunt) or in offseason. Cap has value.

Just a reminder that Smith is signed for next year too! I'm seeing a lot of Skinner/Varlamov next year posts (which I'd love) but where did Smith go?

Also, he has protection and no one moves that to go to Edmonton. Maybe someone has in the last decade but I doubt many have and going to Canada for a Russian might not seem like fun right now given American players seem to want out (Petry).

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Skarek is coming so if Isles can unload Varlamov they'd have cap space which is very valuable. Go Sorokin 60 and Skarek 20 games next year.

Edmonton could LTIR Keith/Kassian (like Tampa did with Kuch and Vegas is doing with Stone) and take his cap hit and extra year on to free the isles up 5 mill to pursue a forward at TDL (if they are in playoff hunt) or in offseason. Cap has value.

Just a reminder that Smith is signed for next year too! I'm seeing a lot of Skinner/Varlamov next year posts (which I'd love) but where did Smith go?

Also, he has protection and no one moves that to go to Edmonton. Maybe someone has in the last decade but I doubt many have and going to Canada for a Russian might not seem like fun right now given American players seem to want out (Petry).
Skarek just finally started to show his true potential recently which is nice but is Sorokin ready for 60 games? That’s quite a lot for a goaltender. Personally I’d like to see Skarek come up after the deadline for a small stint and get a couple of starts to see if he can handle the NHL game as even a backup. Starting next year in the AHL wouldn’t be the worst thing since this is his first season over seas and it’s always an adjustment for European goalies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
A second probably isn't enough to convince the Islanders to let him go, but it isn't often a goalie gets a 1st either.

Agree and easy solution...

:edmonton
Semyon Varlamov
2023 NYI 4th rounder

:isles
2022 EDM 1st
Mikko Koskinen

If the Isles don't get a 1st somehow then 100% they should just keep Varly.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Semyon Varlamov
2023 NYI 4th rounder

2022 EDM 1st
Mikko Koskinen

The only way I can see EDM giving up a first is if it’s TOP 10/lottery protected. The oilers could easily tailspin and miss the playoffs. Even still, I have a hard time envisioning a goalie with a year left getting a 1st at the deadline. However, stranger things have happened.

Reactions: TFHockey

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'd be perfectly fine with a duo of Varlamov - Smith this year, and Varlamov - Skinner next as well. It's not a long term solution, but at least we wouldn't be tempted to sacrifice small animals to the gods in order to keep our aging goalie healthy.

Looking back at our time with Rick DiPietro… this did not work.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Skarek just finally started to show his true potential recently which is nice but is Sorokin ready for 60 games? That’s quite a lot for a goaltender. Personally I’d like to see Skarek come up after the deadline for a small stint and get a couple of starts to see if he can handle the NHL game as even a backup. Starting next year in the AHL wouldn’t be the worst thing since this is his first season over seas and it’s always an adjustment for European goalies.
Agree. but it's his 3rd season in AHL. I'm not saying he's beyond it or has arrived. Just that he seems ready. If Isles aren't a playoff team then yes, some playing team in garbage time would be great to get him adjusted and give him a summer to do list.

As for Sorokin.. I think he's awesome! I'd kill for him on my team.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Agree. but it's his 3rd season in AHL. I'm not saying he's beyond it or has arrived. Just that he seems ready. If Isles aren't a playoff team then yes, some playing team in garbage time would be great to get him adjusted and give him a summer to do list.

As for Sorokin.. I think he's awesome! I'd kill for him on my team.
I’d move Varlamov for the right return of a forward who can help the Islanders moving forward. The returns I’ve seen however don’t benefit the Islanders except some minor cap space (or neutral by way of dumps from what I’ve seen). Now if Edmonton was to move a quality forward (prospect or veteran) in return for Varlamov, that would make more sense for the Islanders. A RHD (who’s not good in his own zone) or extremely bad goaltender aren’t needs, they’re just clogged space for players who deserve a shot in the system.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’d move Varlamov for the right return of a forward who can help the Islanders moving forward. The returns I’ve seen however don’t benefit the Islanders except some minor cap space (or neutral by way of dumps from what I’ve seen). Now if Edmonton was to move a quality forward (prospect or veteran) in return for Varlamov, that would make more sense for the Islanders. A RHD (who’s not good in his own zone) or extremely bad goaltender aren’t needs, they’re just clogged space for players who deserve a shot in the system.
I bet the Edmonton 1st rounder would be available for Varlamov. Maybe even a conditional pick based on playoff performance. Or, maybe an interesting prospect or two. There are assets where even if they dont address needs directly, they are great trade chips to make some serious noise at the draft and load up next season, for whatever need you have.

Some Oiler fans have the idea of justifying the 1st by adding another player such as Mayfield, or Koskinen

My overwhelming preference here is to make it a one-player trade, and for the Isles to retain some salary on Varlamov. It's just for the one extra year, and not 50%. Maybe 20-30%.

Varlamov is a great back up but still the back up. You could sign a replacement for cheap.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
1st = Moving Barrie
3rd = moving Kosk

What arr you ACTUALLY sendibg for Mayfield and Varlamov?
There is no chance it takes a first to move a scoring RD on a reasonable contract. You my friend are out of touch. Koskinen is a cap dump for 6 weeks. The other part of this is a first is to much for Varlamov, so that is why I added mayfield and Barrie. If you want we can switch it so it’s Koskinen and a second for Varlamov and his 5+ million for next season. If we have to pay to get rid of Barrie according to your logic, then Varlamov costs something to move as well.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I bet the Edmonton 1st rounder would be available for Varlamov. Maybe even a conditional pick based on playoff performance. Or, maybe an interesting prospect or two. There are assets where even if they dont address needs directly, they are great trade chips to make some serious noise at the draft and load up next season, for whatever need you have.

Some Oiler fans have the idea of justifying the 1st by adding another player such as Mayfield, or Koskinen

My overwhelming preference here is to make it a one-player trade, and for the Isles to retain some salary on Varlamov. It's just for the one extra year, and not 50%. Maybe 20-30%.

Varlamov is a great back up but still the back up. You could sign a replacement for cheap.
If Lou moves Varlamov, hopefully it doesn’t involve either Koskinen or Barrie for obvious reasons. If either were included, I’d hope he asks for Holloway+ and drives the price up simply because it hinders the Islanders chances of using the cap space for a true need (scoring forward/LH middle pairing offensive minded defenseman). I’ve stated it numerous times that the Islanders needs prospect-wise are forwards with scoring ability. They have quite a few defensemen in the system that are just about NHL ready so adding more would just just be throwing more into the depth chart. The issue is that Edmonton seems to look slim when it comes to forward prospects (based on cap friendly).

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Right now... Varlamov is 5 mill in cap space this year and next. So if you are looking for a hockey trade... Look at all the 5 million dollar forwards available and locked in for next season. Cap and term are assets. Money in and money out. Taking on a guy for same money that is Ufa frees up 5 million next season and it doesn't look like you are going to playoffs this season as you're 25th in points percentage.

Guess it depends what you want for next season... A 5 million. Dollar backup or a 5 million dollar forward.

Reactions: TFHockey

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
There is no chance it takes a first to move a scoring RD on a reasonable contract. You my friend are out of touch. Koskinen is a cap dump for 6 weeks. The other part of this is a first is to much for Varlamov, so that is why I added mayfield and Barrie. If you want we can switch it so it’s Koskinen and a second for Varlamov and his 5+ million for next season. If we have to pay to get rid of Barrie according to your logic, then Varlamov costs something to move as well.
But Barrie sucks. No matter what his salary is

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Right now... Varlamov is 5 mill in cap space this year and next. So if you are looking for a hockey trade... Look at all the 5 million dollar forwards available and locked in for next season. Cap and term are assets. Money in and money out. Taking on a guy for same money that is Ufa frees up 5 million next season and it doesn't look like you are going to playoffs this season as you're 25th in points percentage.

Guess it depends what you want for next season... A 5 million. Dollar backup or a 5 million dollar forward.
Varlamov’s stats this year aren’t actually bad. They’re comparable (almost identical) to what he had in 19-20 except his team is extremely underperforming this year so it looks worse then it is. He’s still an above average starter atleast on a team who can win. Personally, I’d take the forward if he can produce offense consistently (Kane can stay in Edmonton for obvious reasons) but the goalie in question can still play 40-45 games and win you a few.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Semyon Varlamov
2023 NYI 4th rounder

2022 EDM 1st
Mikko Koskinen

I don't see Varlamov getting a 1st from the Oilers. I still would like him to play for Edmonton but I think this is too steep a price to pay.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If Lou moves Varlamov, hopefully it doesn’t involve either Koskinen or Barrie for obvious reasons. If either were included, I’d hope he asks for Holloway+ and drives the price up simply because it hinders the Islanders chances of using the cap space for a true need (scoring forward/LH middle pairing offensive minded defenseman). I’ve stated it numerous times that the Islanders needs prospect-wise are forwards with scoring ability. They have quite a few defensemen in the system that are just about NHL ready so adding more would just just be throwing more into the depth chart. The issue is that Edmonton seems to look slim when it comes to forward prospects (based on cap friendly).

What? What is he even doing in this proposal?

Actually the Oilers have Holloway, Bourgault, Savoie, Petrov and Tullio as their crop of up and coming forwards. I don't think anyone who is a fan of the team sees that as an organizational weakness.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Varlamov’s stats this year aren’t actually bad. They’re comparable (almost identical) to what he had in 19-20 except his team is extremely underperforming this year so it looks worse then it is. He’s still an above average starter atleast on a team who can win. Personally, I’d take the forward if he can produce offense consistently (Kane can stay in Edmonton for obvious reasons) but the goalie in question can still play 40-45 games and win you a few.
Absolutely... He's excellent. It's a cap world and your starter makes 4 million and his backup makes 5. That's all.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
What? What is he even doing in this proposal?

Actually the Oilers have Holloway, Bourgault, Savoie, Petrov and Tullio as their crop of up and coming forwards. I don't think anyone who is a fan of the team sees that as an organizational weakness.
The same thing Barrie and Koskenen keeps doing in Islanders deals for Mayfield and/or Varlamov, not belonging but hey who’s counting anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad