Value of: Varlamov to Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

97and294ever

Jan 8, 2019
Since I do not watch many Islander games I am not even sure he is better than who the Oilers have in goal right now? Legit question is he worth a trade. If so what would it take to acquire?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The Islanders need is a forward to play with Barzal and I don’t think Edmonton has someone moveable to make the deal happen. Otherwise forward prospects and/or quality draft picks. No interest in trading him for cap dumps/bottom 6 forwards/defensemen who can’t defend. This was a dead horse from the start the last thread that was made.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Is Varlamov the only Russian on the team apart from Sorokin? You would think they would want to keep their young star goalie's friend and mentor on the roster.
They had multi-lingual Finn via Estonia Uncle Leo Komarov but that’s it outside of Ilya.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Is Varlamov the only Russian on the team apart from Sorokin? You would think they would want to keep their young star goalie's friend and mentor on the roster.

Yeah, I really don't think he's up for trade for that reason. If we're going to get a 2nd or 3rd rounder from a team where the pick is going to be in the 50's-70's what's the point?

RIDE CORY SCHNEIDER FOR THE BLIGHT FOR WRIGHT, THE PAIN FOR SHANE!

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I always thought Varlamov made a lot of sense for the Oilers . He’s a proven veteran who can steal games and after a slow start he’s been very good again this year. He’s older and not cheap but worth his contract and the extra year gives you security this is a move for not just this season…but his contract still comes off the books before he truly ages out.

Are guys like Georgiev, Korpisalo, Forsberg, Husso etc truly the upgrades you are going to invest this next couple years of McDrai with? Are you actually going to pay thru the nose with your best young prospects and picks for a star in his prime like Gibson, Merzlikins, etc?

Varly offers star upside, experience and a manageable contract while not being a rental for the Oilers and if your the Islanders and this season is a bust, you have your star in net in Sorokin and can leverage Varly into a deal that nets you a good asset or two…seems like there is a deal to be made.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yeah, I really don't think he's up for trade for that reason. If we're going to get a 2nd or 3rd rounder from a team where the pick is going to be in the 50's-70's what's the point?

RIDE CORY SCHNEIDER FOR THE BLIGHT FOR WRIGHT, THE PAIN FOR SHANE!

I’d think a team like the Oilers would be willing to go higher than a 2nd or 3rd for a legit upgrade/answer to their goaltending woes for the next two seasons? I’m not saying Varlamov is gonna net you Broberg or Bourgault but I could see shooting for something like the Kuemper deal. Sounds like Edmonton was right there with Darcy but the Coyotes like the prospect the Avs added better. Kuemper may be a slightly better investment but the Avs could also lose him for nothing in the spring. I think Varlamov’s added year may be the thing that gives him so increased value now as opposed to waiting till next year.

I get that he may simply not be available from a Lou Lam standpoint but I think a good offer would be worth considering. You don’t want to upset your foundational goalie but at some point don’t we think Sorokin will be ok without his mentor?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would move him to get his contract off the books and sign a high end veteran backup for cheaper than Varly this offseason.

I would take a 2nd round pick. Varly and Sorokin are in a wired position. Both play better the more they play but Sorokin is clearly the future. Varly would fair better if he was the clear cut #1. Varly is a legit good goalie though. I felt we had a strong chance to win the cup the last 2-3 years with Varly as our starter.

that being said from an oilers perspective they’re more than a goalie away so they should be looming to get a guy in his mid 20’s that they can possibly see if he can be a franchise goalie for years. If they were a goalie away from a cup I’d say go all in on varly but as it stands the oilers are not.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
First round pick. NYI isn't in cap hell anymore, and he has another year left on his deal, so no rush to trade him at this year's deadline.

Reactions: periferal

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Sorokin can speak and understand English, the team has Russian-speaking non-players in the organization, and it's not like a 26 year old professional athlete needs a friend.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
First round pick. NYI isn't in cap hell anymore, and he has another year left on his deal, so no rush to trade him at this year's deadline.

because he only has 1 year left on his deal and the goalie market I can promise you we won’t be getting a 1st round pick for him. Unless it was a team like Colorado who feels they’re desperate for a goalie and that would bring them a cup. The chances of that though are slim right now.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
because he only has 1 year left on his deal and the goalie market I can promise you we won’t be getting a 1st round pick for him. Unless it was a team like Colorado who feels they’re desperate for a goalie and that would bring them a cup. The chances of that though are slim right now.

One would think the Oilers would have high interest in Varly for a 2nd if that’s the ask for two shots at the playoffs with him. Getting a franchise goalie in their 20’s is easier said than done. Varly doesn’t make the Oilers perfect but he’s a huge upgrade and I’d be a lot more scared facing McDrai with him in net than Koskinen/Smith or any of these marginal and or inexperienced targets we’ve seen them associated with. Varly used to thrive with the Avs when he saw a lot of rubber as well - he’s used to playing behind Tyson Barrie. :laugh:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
One would think the Oilers would have high interest in Varly for a 2nd if that’s the ask for two shots at the playoffs with him. Getting a franchise goalie in their 20’s is easier said than done. Varly doesn’t make the Oilers perfect but he’s a huge upgrade and I’d be a lot more scared facing McDrai with him in net than Koskinen/Smith or any of these marginal and or inexperienced targets we’ve seen them associated with. Varly used to thrive with the Avs when he saw a lot of rubber as well - he’s used to playing behind Tyson Barrie. :laugh:
I'd be perfectly fine with a duo of Varlamov - Smith this year, and Varlamov - Skinner next as well. It's not a long term solution, but at least we wouldn't be tempted to sacrifice small animals to the gods in order to keep our aging goalie healthy.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The Oilers SHOULD feel desperate. They keep wasting year after year with literally the two best forwards in the league.

And the goalie market isn't as buyer-friendly as you imply it is. Getting a good goalie you can win with in the playoffs is pretty damn difficult, especially one who offers two shots at the playoffs before hitting UFA.

A second is underselling Varlamov.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers SHOULD feel desperate. They keep wasting year after year with literally the two best forwards in the league.

And the goalie market isn't as buyer-friendly as you imply it is. Getting a good goalie you can win with in the playoffs is pretty damn difficult, especially one who offers two shots at the playoffs before hitting UFA.

A second is underselling Varlamov.
A second probably isn't enough to convince the Islanders to let him go, but it isn't often a goalie gets a 1st either.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
A second probably isn't enough to convince the Islanders to let him go, but it isn't often a goalie gets a 1st either.
I dunno. The last big goalie trade involved a first round pick (plus) coming from a team desperate to win with its young dynamic forwards in their prime years. Reminds me a bit of the Oil.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I dunno. The last big goalie trade involved a first round pick (plus) coming from a team desperate to win with its young dynamic forwards in their prime years. Reminds me a bit of the Oil.

Sorry... can you enlighten me? Which goalie trade are you referring to?

Fleury went to Chicago for Hakkarainen
Vanecek (not a big name, but very young and upside) went for a 2nd
There weren't any big names last year (unless you include Mrazek)
Lehner went to Vegas the year before for Malcolm Subban, Demin(?) and a 2nd.

I'm sure the Oilers would go as high as a 2nd and a B-prospect for Varlamov, how isn't as good as Fleury or Lehner, but has an extra year.

Reactions: Czechboy

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Sorry... can you enlighten me? Which goalie trade are you referring to?

Fleury went to Chicago for Hakkarainen
Vanecek (not a big name, but very young and upside) went for a 2nd
There weren't any big names last year (unless you include Mrazek)
Lehner went to Vegas the year before for Malcolm Subban, Demin(?) and a 2nd.

I'm sure the Oilers would go as high as a 2nd and a B-prospect for Varlamov, how isn't as good as Fleury or Lehner, but has an extra year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220217-153242_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220217-153242_Chrome.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 9

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Thanks... I knew that! More sleep required.

You gotta think Keumper's reasonable cap hit drove that price up a bit (and Edmonton for that matter).

I suppose if you retained a bit on Varly, you have a strong case for a 1st+

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The solution to this issue is expanding the deal to include Mayfield.

Barrie, Koskinen, 1st rounder-2022, one of Savoi, Lavoie, Benson, Tullio or A 3rd-2023.

for

Mayfiels

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The solution to this issue is expanding the deal to include Mayfield.

Barrie, Koskinen, 1st rounder-2022, one of Savoi, Lavoie, Benson, Tullio or A 3rd-2023.

for

Mayfiels
Ouch, nope. Neither of those NHL players benefit the Islanders going forward enough to move out Mayfield AND Varlamov. Replace Barrie with something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad