Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Thank you. I found it and read it...and I stand corrected. My apologies for thinking this was your opinion, when it was Willes' opinion. I get why ex-employees would feel bitter over losing their job but I feel only insecure people would feel betrayed. I have lost my job before, I was bitter temporarily because it is a blow to the ego, but I moved on. This is business, not a divorce nor a girlfriend dumping.

The Canucks media also reported before Benning's extension that the Canucks might be interested in Ken Holland. I suppose Linden could have thought that since Benning was given an extension that he would be given more time to execute his vision (Linden's vision but Benning's blueprint?)

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Guy is a ****ing nobody
He’s a stat geek who doesn’t even have the internet seal of approval- the twitter verified check mark

JD is a smart hockey mind, but any time he talks about anything else it shows he's not well learned in politics, economics or sociology.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
It seems to me that those of us who like to see hard analysis (as opposed to optimism, cheering and team support in the face of adversity) have pretty much lost Canucks Army. Not only is the total number of articles way, way down but the are now leaning towards soft cheering that has little to do with analysis.

An example of that is a new series by Cole Marton entitled "Roster Down the Road." The premise of the series, repeated in each article so far, is:

"I wondered if the Canucks could build a contender from within. Going through the system, I came to the realization it’s entirely possible. I’ve come up with a roster of young players that the Canucks could see in their lineup by 2022-2023 (When the Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel contracts expire).
For this exercise, we will only be using players already in the Canucks system, and we won’t be contemplating any new young players the Canucks could potentially draft ..."

So essentially he's putting together a lineup of youngsters and assuming everybody is going to be really good, every one of them. Nobody will bust and going by the descriptions in his first four articles in the series everybody is amazing and going to be amazing.

Now, some of these guys might become as good as Marton writes them up. But most of them won't and several of them are likely to o bust. The articles will be pleasing to those who are optimists and those who think the Canucks' rebuild is going amazingly well.

So far he's got the following 2022-2023 lineup:
So far he's got the following lineup:

Goal-Demko, Di Pietro.

Now there's no surprise there and it wouldn't even be a shock if those are the Canucks' top 2 goalies in 2022-23. It is definitely optimistic to figure that both are going to work out (and Marton is definitely optimistic about it) but it isn't totally unlikely.

Defence: He hasn't named his first pair yet.
2nd pair: LD Juolevi-"Juolevi will become a top 4 defenseman for this team, anchoring the 2nd pair and making the selection look MILES better than how it looks right now. For this season, although I believe Juolevi is ready to play in the NHL on opening night, the best course of action should be to start him in Utica for the 1st part of the season. Then, when he shows he’s ready for the bigs, bring him up full time and have him play as a Vancouver Canuck. He’ll be with the team full time by 2019-2020 and rocking the 2nd pair and the penalty kill, while possibly getting some time on the PP2. "

To me that isn't totally unreasonable, but he's concluding and sounding certain about what Juolevi "will become."

RD-Tryamkin "The gentle giant also made a point of trying to shoot more as his season went along, which in turn helped develop his offensive game to a level that should make Canucks fans giddy for when he arrives. There is so much to like about what Tryamkin brings to a defense core ..." No pessimism contained here.

It gets worse.

3rd pair: LD-Jack Rathbone "Rathbone is a dynamic, smooth skating offensive defenseman, and when I say smooth skating… I mean silky smooth. The offensive potential on Rathbone is astounding, and he is going to be one of the dark-horse prospects to watch in the coming seasons as he moves into Harvard in the NCAA. Jack Rathbone is not one of the Canucks top 10 prospects according to Sporting News, however, I would have him in my personal top 10. An incredible character with high-end offensive instincts and wheels to burn."

"I expect both Chatfield and Rathbone to be employed with the power-play (Rathbone) and the penalty kill (Chatfield). With Chatfield’s strong defensive instincts, and Rathbone’s wheels and passing. This pair could be a hidden gem of a Canucks team looking to contend."

Reserve Defencemen: LD Toni Utanen RD Matt Brhisassard

Now, don't get me wrong. Any one of those players could become what Marton indicates they'll become. My problem with his series is that the likelihood of any one of them hitting the levels Marton indicates isn't very good and the likelihood of most of them getting to those levels is almost non-existent. This isn't analysis-it is an article that lets Canucks' fans feel good about their prospects. The problem is that the same series could be written for pretty much every team in the NHL, look about as reasonable and every team's fan could feel good. It isn't analysis-it's just feel-good cheering.

One of the more reliable aspects of CA this past season was the writing of Cory Hergott who concentrated on the Utica Comets. I've enjoyed reading his material but he's much more optimistic than the posters we see covering the Comets on this forum and he seldom points out weaknesses in the games of Comets' players. His last few articles have been pretty much rah-rah stuff. Their titles have been "The Jim Benning era Comets have finally arrived" (a fluff piece about the prospects that will be playing in Utica this season-there are those of us who looked at the title and wondered if it was the fall of 2015 when Lorne Henning had been let go and the Comets were a poorly constructed group,) "Will This Be the Utica Comets First Season With More Than One 20-Goal Scorer?" (he guesses at three with Kero, Boucher, Archibald, Gaunce, Motte, Carcone, MacEwen, Dahlen, Lind, Jasek, Gaudette and Palmu mentioned) and "Five Reasons the Utica Comets Will Be Better in 2018/19."

On rare occasions Ryan Biech will post something with analytics but when he does the commenters generally react negatively, accuse of CA of being overwhelmingly negative in its coverage and imo generally show themselves incapable of understanding the numbers and theory behind them. Given the reaction of the commenters in general CA can't be blamed for going soft as it appears to be what the overwhelming majority of its readers want but for some of us who prefer realistic discussion and analysis it is painful to watch the changes.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
Man, it would be terrible to see Botch leave. It'll feel weird without The Provies and his spots on the radio. Currently, things are in limbo, but he said he may have a better idea of what will happen later this week.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
I am amused. Do not know what I did--although it might be related to me tweeting that he is an idiot--but Dan Russell blocked me on twitter. I called him an idiot when he tweeting about he had the longest running sports talk show on in Canada--one problem--he is ignoring the fact he was off the air for 18 months doing other stuff. His show was never the longest running sports talk show in Canada and few others were on non stop and were around before and after he went off the air

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It seems to me that those of us who like to see hard analysis (as opposed to optimism, cheering and team support in the face of adversity) have pretty much lost Canucks Army. Not only is the total number of articles way, way down but the are now leaning towards soft cheering that has little to do with analysis.

An example of that is a new series by Cole Marton entitled "Roster Down the Road." The premise of the series, repeated in each article so far, is:

Yep. Like I said, some of their articles are worst than Daily Hive. You really got to pay attention to the author.

Losing Botch to Toronto would be depressing.

He did work in Toronto prior to writing for the Province? If he leaves the Province, let's hope he continues on with the Athletic or something so that he's still covering the Canucks.

Reactions: pgj98m3

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I am amused. Do not know what I did--although it might be related to me tweeting that he is an idiot--but Dan Russell blocked me on twitter. I called him an idiot when he tweeting about he had the longest running sports talk show on in Canada--one problem--he is ignoring the fact he was off the air for 18 months doing other stuff. His show was never the longest running sports talk show in Canada and few others were on non stop and were around before and after he went off the air
Nice one friend. I also like to point out from time to time that he wasn't the first sports talk show in Vancouver either, as he used to like to claim. That was Neil Macrae's Sportsline. In fact the first verson of Russell's show was basically a copy of the Macrae show.

Reactions: crobro

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
That would absolutely suck if Botch left. There were times last season where I didn't watch a Canucks game but I still read the Provies.

Last edited:
Reactions: rypper

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Ya I’ve seen the backlash he’s getting on twitter for his comments on McCain and I’d say it’s well deserved.

Being a stats Guy doesn’t make you an expert on life or politics.Hes entitled to his views but maybe should make a separate account for his stupid life takes.
Looks like the Athletic made him delete them :laugh: He's made a tweet about people who go to employers about something on twitter (which this deserved imo). The Athletic also liked a tweet saying people are tired of his BS. Hope it was worth it JD :thumbd:

If Botch leaves I'll be devastated. Him on the Patcast has been the only thing keeping me sane these past few seasons...

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
yeah Botch leaving would suck so hard. I skipped watching many games last year, but never the provies.

JD Burke's comments about the mass murdering american psycho that died were great, and mild in comparison to what he deserves.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure he passed away. Had health issues going back a long time. Used to live a couple of blocks away from me, actually. Saw him at the bar sometimes. Had some great stories about Brian Burke. Then he stopped being around, both IRL and online.

RIP wetcoaster.

terrible news. one of the greatest ever to post about the canucks

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
If you want an alternate take on the Canucks and life in general check out the Real Good Show podcast.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Good for Botch, if true. He's risen on the caustic contrarian role that is so often popular is sports media. If he's heading to Toronto it's definitely a promotion and positive career move. Vancouver is basically a Siberian outpost for sports journalists.

Reactions: cookiefest

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Nice one friend. I also like to point out from time to time that he wasn't the first sports talk show in Vancouver either, as he used to like to claim. That was Neil Macrae's Sportsline. In fact the first verson of Russell's show was basically a copy of the Macrae show.
I like these types of stats. Other things that come to mind are when Larschied was being talked about as being a colour man for so many years, but they didn't subtract the 5 seasons that Garry Monohan took his place.

here's a really odd one. In the yearbooks and programs they used to list the team leaders each year in Goals, Assists, Points, and Penalty Minutes. Stan Smyl led the Canucks in all 4 categories in 1978-79. However Tiger Williams technically had more penalty minutes that season if his stats with Toronto were counted as well. But the list didn't count combined stats from multiple teams in that season. Yet, when Dan Quinn moved to Vancouver from Pittsburgh mid season they counted his Penguins points and declared him the Canucks leading scorer for the season. How about that!

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
JD Burke's comments about the mass murdering american psycho that died were great, and mild in comparison to what he deserves.
I'm not saying the conversation shouldnt take place, I just think there's a better time/place to have that conversation & that maaaaaybe a few hours after someone passes isn't the appropriate time.

You're not an angel just because you've passed away. As a John Lennon fan I know this oh to well. :laugh:

Reactions: m9

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I'm not saying the conversation shouldnt take place, I just think there's a better time/place to have that conversation & that maaaaaybe a few hours after someone passes isn't the appropriate time.

You're not an angel just because you've passed away. As a John Lennon fan I know this oh to well. :laugh:

Word on the street is that the cancer cell is up for a Nobel peace prize ;)

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So Andrew Walker comes from Toronto to Vancouver and Botch may leave for Toronto. Kinda feels like a Jim Benning trade.

I am worried as to see what else was Benning would through in to "balance" the trade. I mean we couldn't get "character" without this type of deal, and the "mentorship" will surely help the youth of Vancouver's media succeed.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Soon negative comments won’t be allowed
I wouldn't be shocked if Aquilini "convinced" them to let go of the few people who were critical of the organization. They've already done a great job of getting the radio people to only give softball questions and let them deflect anything which might paint them in a bad light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad