Proposal: Vancouver - Carolina

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Didn’t you tell me I must be high and didn’t know anything about hockey when I suggested last year that Hronek could be seeking $8M on his next contract? How did that age for you?
He can seek for 8M but he’s not getting it. There’s not a single team in the league that would give him 8M. Dhaliwal literally said this yesterday and he’s deep in connections.

Trying to take a victory lap when nothing’s even happened yet is wild.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
It's not just a top 4 RD, it's one demanding an $8m aav. You can't separate the value from the contract demands, otherwise he'd be staying in Vancouver.

I actually think the base of the trade is decently fair (Hronek/Mik for Necas/KK), but casually tossing in Morrow as the balancing piece nukes it. He's a top prospect and likely cracking the NHL lineup next year. Canes won't easily give up that kind of cost-controlled asset.

I mean...we're giving up a 24 goal scorer (entirely at ES and limited minutes overall) signed for one more year at 1M whom Carolina has reportedly been interested in for years. So it's not so much "casually tossing in Morrow" it's offsetting what I reasonably think is the disparity between Hronek and Necas, and KK and Mikheyev (as cap dumps, not players) and adding Hoglander. But as I said before, I get it - we aren't moving Willander. So am open for other ways to offset what I think is the difference between the first two trades.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
He can seek for 8M but he’s not getting it. There’s not a single team in the league that would give him 8M. Dhaliwal literally said this yesterday and he’s deep in connections.

Trying to take a victory lap when nothing’s even happened yet is wild.
Curious, how much do you think he’ll end up getting? Because last year you said he won’t make “anything close to $8M” and “If he does, it means he's a legitimate top 20 defensemen in the NHL.”

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I mean...we're giving up a 24 goal scorer (largely at ES with no PP time) whom Carolina has reportedly been interested in for years. So it's not so much "casually tossing in Morrow" it's offsetting what I reasonably think is the disparity between Hronek and Necas, and KK and Mikheyev (as cap dumps, not players). But as I said before, I get it - we aren't moving Willander. So am open for other ways to offset what I think is the difference between the first two trades.
Hey more power to the guy, but we know he ain't shooting 20% going forward. I think the Canes would just bypass adding Hoglander into the deal despite any rumored previous interest. The forward group needs to be a bit bigger if anything, especially if Guentzel re-signs.

The main question is just Hronek's contract. You'd know better than me, but I don't get the sense that he's trying to force his way out of Vancouver or that there's any real issue there with the overblown presser stuff. There's proof of concept with Hughes, they'd just be searching for a replacement anyway so it makes sense to me as they negotiate down on his ask he'd just re-sign there before it ever got to a point the Canes would be comfortable with the aav.

But like I said, I think the base pieces are pretty fair value-wise. A small enough gap that could be bridged by picks/other prospects.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Curious, how much do you think he’ll end up getting? Because last year you said he won’t make “anything close to $8M” and “If he does, it means he's a legitimate top 20 defensemen in the NHL.”
You’re literally making my point for me.

Hronek was a top 20 dman for the first 40 games - would happily pay 8M for a top pairing dman scoring 60 points a year on the best pairing in the league.

His last half of the season was extremely pedestrian and he was very average in the playoffs.

Canucks offered 8 years 6.5M per. Looks like Management and I are aligned. You’re on the island here 😅

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
You’re literally making my point for me.

Hronek was a top 20 dman for the first 40 games - would happily pay 8M for a top pairing dman scoring 60 points a year on the best pairing in the league.

His last half of the season was extremely pedestrian and he was very average in the playoffs.

Canucks offered 8 years 6.5M per. Looks like Management and I are aligned. You’re on the island here 😅
I don’t think Hronek is worth $8M, I suggested that’s what him and his agent would be seeking and low and behold, that’s what all the reports are suggesting. Just like Hronek can ask for $8M all he wants, Vancouver can offer $6.5M all they want, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. Will they meet somewhere in the middle? Will he get $7M+ somewhere else? Is $7.25M so far away from $8M to be classified as “nowhere close”?

Again, a year ago I suggested Hronek’s “cost certainty” didn’t mean a thing if Hronek and his agent were going to look to cash-in a year later. And here we are.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
You sort our your second pairing RD for the next 7 / 8 years, and he will most likely be moved to your first pairing once Burns is done. Although the amount is small, you think having KK on the books for the next decade is preferable to 2 years?
2nd pairing guy asking for 1st pairing money. That gives him a lower value.

He gets pushed around in the playoffs. That doesn’t solve a canes issue. We could just keep Chatfield if we wanted a guy like that

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Vancouver:

Necas
KK
Morrow

Carolina:

Hronek
Mikheyev
Hoglander

Reasoning: Necas is reportedly wanting to move on and Hronek's contract demands are a tad high for Vancouver. Also rumoured is that Carolina was contemplating buying out KK however Vancouver reportedly has interest in trading for the player (I assume this means a cap dump going the other way). Additionally Carolina has reportedly had interest in Hoglander for some time. Reasoning for the Morrow inclusion is that the difference between Necas and Hronek (winger vs #3 RD, latter has more value) and the difference between what most view as cap dumps (2 years left vs 6 years, and easier to buy out Mikheyev should Carolina want to) would offset the difference between Hoglander and Morrow.
I hope the Canes pass. How much for just Hoglander? Absolutely zero interest in Mikheyev or Hronek.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Burns is 39...how many years do you think he has left? There is DeMelo, Tanev (also getting long in the tooth and will sign with either Dallas or Vancouver) and Pesce who you don't want to re-sign and that's about it. I missed Roy...so one guy who you realistically have a shot at?

I don't think you will get a top pairing RD better than Hronek for a 2nd line winger, and that would be a shocking trade without precent in the NHL. I don't think they have to trade Necas to Vancouver at all, but Vancouver is reportedly interested. I do think you are being wildly unrealistic if you think you are getting Makar fo Necas however.
We don't need a top-pair RHD for Necas and Hronek isn't what we should be looking for. Honestly, we need a defensive 2nd-pair RHD more. The Canes do things looking at more than next season. RBA is keen on balanced pairs and having one minutes-eating defensive pairing. Hronek isn't the guy to line up next to Orlov and expect them to replace Skjei/Pesce as a shutdown pair.

It's not about replacing Burns...Morrow replaces Burns most likely, in 2025-26. This is about a partner for Orlov on our defensive pair...but also a guy to partner with Nikishin longer term.

I don't see Vancouver as a viable trade partner for Necas, no matter how much they want him. You're better off trading Hronek for assets to flip to Carolina for Necas.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Perhaps if you actually had some sort of reasoning or argument you'd be a bit more credible. I think it's fair, but hey if you get Makar for an unsigned Necas I will buy you a bottle of booze, your choice.
Short attention span I see.

See post #8

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Hronek making above 6M is exactly the opposite of a surplus value contract the Carolinians seek.

Trading flashy 24 goal scorer Necas, probably making 6M+, for feisty 24 goal scorer Hoglander making 1M is exactly the value exchange they seek.

KK and Mikheylev would just be salary fillers and Mikheylev would have greater value because his bad contract is shorter than KK's bad contract.

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Slapshottothehead

May 5, 2024
I don't think I've seen an American fanbase overrate their players as much as Canes fans. I'm largely going off of rumours from this site:

To add to that, Carolina isn't resigning DeAngelo and Burns is 39 years old. So explain why Carolina doesn't consider this?
Because the Canes have morrow and a stud defencman Nikishin ready soon...

tmac51

May 15, 2015
I don’t see there being much on Vancouver that Carolina would be interested in. Hoglander would interest them as a cheap contract, but not as the centre piece for a Necas trade. Trading for Hronek does nothing for them as they’d be in the same boat with Hronek as they are with Necas. I’d love Necas on the Canucks but it just isn’t realistic

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Boeser for Necas.
They are a win now team.
Canucks maybe need to add a small sweetener or not.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
A trade like that makes no sense for the Canucks, it's a lateral move where they are losing a player they know works with them
Younger, massively faster and they could sign him for under a million more than they have committed for Boeser already.
Another bridge deal like the Pettersson type bridge deal.

For the Canucks it addresses what the head coach, Tocchet and Allvin both stated they want, the team needs to get faster.

Carolina gets cap certainty for one additional year and a goal scorer. That might be the best offer, a veteran 40 goal scorer under 29 years old.

If worried about "they know him" then none of the players ever get moved.

Canucks moved their captain, a 30+ goal scoring center and long term fan favourite. That trade tree hasn't finished yet.

Ledge And Dairy

Younger, massively faster and they could sign him for under a million more than they have committed for Boeser already.
Another bridge deal like the Pettersson type bridge deal.

For the Canucks it addresses what the head coach, Tocchet and Allvin both stated they want, the team needs to get faster.

Carolina gets cap certainty for one additional year and a goal scorer. That might be the best offer, a veteran 40 goal scorer under 29 years old.

If worried about "they know him" then none of the players ever get moved.

Canucks moved their captain, a 30+ goal scoring center and long term fan favourite. That trade tree hasn't finished yet.
I really don't know if you are serious with this post or not. Boeser is coming off a 40 goal season and a ppg playoffs. They are not trading him. End of conversation.

They absolutely have interest in Necas but they aren't trading Boeser to get him. The idea of trading for Necas is to add to their forward core

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I really don't know if you are serious with this post or not. Boeser is coming off a 40 goal season and a ppg playoffs. They are not trading him. End of conversation.

They absolutely have interest in Necas but they aren't trading Boeser to get him. The idea of trading for Necas is to add to their forward core
And they won't trade their Captain.
A center that wins over a lifetime 56% of FO's
A 30+ goal scorer.
A 8 year fan favourite.

Allvin stated the lost their last game and it was only the second round.
He/they quickly followed up the need to get faster players.
The team has generous cap space but they could get more.

7 of the 13 playoff games were the best Boeser has ever played since drafted in 2015 with the exception of his first 9 games, maybe.

So the entire media community was wrong, there was no interest in Necas ever. East coast, Carolina media, national. They all had nothing better to do than talk about a team most of the NHL never watch due to the time difference.

C'mon, Rutherford stated from the start moves would be made that fans might not like. He and Allvin were hired to do a job not marry players. If trading Boeser makes them faster and creates usable cap space for other players such as Lindholm ( not thrilled with the idea so signing a 30 yr old to a long term but...it's a "win now" team now).
No player is bigger than the team, Benning wanted fans to believe that because it made his job easy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad