Vancouver:

Necas
KK
Morrow

Carolina:

Hronek
Mikheyev
Hoglander

Reasoning: Necas is reportedly wanting to move on and Hronek's contract demands are a tad high for Vancouver. Also rumoured is that Carolina was contemplating buying out KK however Vancouver reportedly has interest in trading for the player (I assume this means a cap dump going the other way). Additionally Carolina has reportedly had interest in Hoglander for some time. Reasoning for the Morrow inclusion is that the difference between Necas and Hronek (winger vs #3 RD, latter has more value) and the difference between what most view as cap dumps (2 years left vs 6 years, and easier to buy out Mikheyev should Carolina want to) would offset the difference between Hoglander and Morrow.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Canes instantly dismiss that

Hronek isn’t worth it
Just buyout kk instead if taking on mikheyev’s bad deal
No interest in moving morrow now

You sort our your second pairing RD for the next 7 / 8 years, and he will most likely be moved to your first pairing once Burns is done. Although the amount is small, you think having KK on the books for the next decade is preferable to 2 years?

• Haha
Reactions: crowi

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Canes don’t consider this

I don't think I've seen an American fanbase overrate their players as much as Canes fans. I'm largely going off of rumours from this site:

To add to that, Carolina isn't resigning DeAngelo and Burns is 39 years old. So explain why Carolina doesn't consider this?

• Haha

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Mik
I don't think I've seen an American fanbase overrate their players as much as Canes fans. I'm largely going off of rumours from this site:

To add to that, Carolina isn't resigning DeAngelo and Burns is 39 years old. So explain why Carolina doesn't consider this?
Mikeyev is rumored to be a buyout candidate himself. Why on earth do you think the Canes would take on his contract for Kotkaniemi when they can themselves buy out Kotkaniemi very cheaply?

The buyout option means the Canes don’t need to pay or take on a bad asset to be rid of Kotkaniemi. How is this so hard to understand?

Hronek 1-1 for Necas might be of interest. Personally, I don’t see it as the Canes don’t need another offensively minded RD with Burns and Morrow under contract.

You mention the Canes need D, so why are they trading their most promising RD?

Makes no sense for CAR.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Have you never seen a Canadian fanbase overrate their guys?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Mik

Mikey is rumored to be a buyout candidate himself. Why on earth do you think the Canes would take on his contract for Kotkaniemi when they can themselves buy out Kotkaniemi very cheaply?

The buyout option means the Canes don’t need to pay or take on a bad asset to be rid of Kotkaniemi. How is this so hard to understand?

Hronek 1-1 for Necas might be of interest. Personally, I don’t see it as the Canes don’t need another offensively minded RD with Burns and Morrow under contract.

You mention the Canes need D, so why are they trading their most promising RD?

Makes no sense for CAR.

Second question - because Carolina is in win now mode and they'll have one top 4 RD approaching 40 next year? I am open to other options regarding making up the difference...

The KK buyout, which admittedly is neglibble, would be on the books for a decade, vs either two years of a high AAV or 4 years of a similar buyout cost (or 2 years if they wait a year to do it).

I get not wanting to give up Morrow as we are in the same boat with Willander, but I really don't see how you don't think the rest makes sense for the Canes.

Have you never seen a Canadian fanbase overrate their guys?

Of course, and much more so than the American fanbases. Which is why I specified that.

• Haha

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Second question - because Carolina is in win now mode and they'll have one top 4 RD approaching 40 next year? I am open to other options regarding making up the difference...

The KK buyout, which admittedly is neglibble, would be on the books for a decade, vs either two years of a high AAV or 4 years of a similar buyout cost (or 2 years if they wait a year to do it).

I get not wanting to give up Morrow as we are in the same boat with Willander, but I really don't see how you don't think the rest makes sense for the Canes.

Of course, and much more so than the American fanbases. Which is why I specified that.
Who cares if the KK buyout is on the books for a decade? It is meaningless amount as a percentage of the cap now and its % of the cap is only going to decrease in the future.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Who cares if the KK buyout is on the books for a decade? It is meaningless amount as a percentage of the cap now and its % of the cap is only going to decrease in the future.

Because the Mikheyev buyout is only a tad more and is much shorter? And owners care about things like that? I highly doubt anyone thinks KK is a better cap dump than Mikheyev given their respective contract lengths.

• Haha

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Burns still plays effectively in the top 4.

There are a number of RD UFAs available this summer.

The Canes can, in fact, look to trade Necas for another RD or better yet, another forward.

You act like they have to trade him to Vancouver.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Burns still plays effectively in the top 4.

There are a number of RD UFAs available this summer.

The Canes can, in fact, look to trade Necas for another RD or better yet, another forward.

You act like they have to trade him to Vancouver.

Burns is 39...how many years do you think he has left? There is DeMelo, Tanev (also getting long in the tooth and will sign with either Dallas or Vancouver) and Pesce who you don't want to re-sign and that's about it. I missed Roy...so one guy who you realistically have a shot at?

I don't think you will get a top pairing RD better than Hronek for a 2nd line winger, and that would be a shocking trade without precent in the NHL. I don't think they have to trade Necas to Vancouver at all, but Vancouver is reportedly interested. I do think you are being wildly unrealistic if you think you are getting Makar fo Necas however.

• Haha

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Burns is 39...how many years do you think he has left? There is DeMelo, Tanev (also getting long in the tooth and will sign with either Dallas or Vancouver) and Pesce who you don't want to re-sign and that's about it. I don't think you will get a top pairing RD better than Hronek for a 2nd line winger, and that would be a shocking trade without precent in the NHL.
They.don’t.have.to.trade.Necas.for.a.defenseman.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

Don’t bother with Canes fans tbh - most on this board are so biased it hurts.

Last year I said on their forum that Miller would make a great fit on their team. Most said they wouldn’t take him unless it’s for free and that the contract was an anchor.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Vancouver:

Necas
KK
Morrow

Carolina:

Hronek
Mikheyev
Hoglander

Reasoning: Necas is reportedly wanting to move on and Hronek's contract demands are a tad high for Vancouver. Also rumoured is that Carolina was contemplating buying out KK however Vancouver reportedly has interest in trading for the player (I assume this means a cap dump going the other way). Additionally Carolina has reportedly had interest in Hoglander for some time. Reasoning for the Morrow inclusion is that the difference between Necas and Hronek (winger vs #3 RD, latter has more value) and the difference between what most view as cap dumps (2 years left vs 6 years, and easier to buy out Mikheyev should Carolina want to) would offset the difference between Hoglander and Morrow.
That's horrendous for Canes...KK >>>>>> Mikheyev, Morrow >>>>>>> Hoglander. And I'm just not sure Hronek is the piece we need on D with Burns/Morrow already on the right. KKs buyout is actually easier the Miks, and Necas/Hronek are probably similar value so no way in hell Morrow is in there

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
That's horrendous for Canes...KK >>>>>> Mikheyev, Morrow >>>>>>> Hoglander. And I'm just not sure Hronek is the piece we need on D with Burns/Morrow already on the right. KKs buyout is actually easier the Miks, and Necas/Hronek are probably similar value so no way in hell Morrow is in there
The guy with 2 professional games and a stagnating college career is way better than someone who scored 24 goals last year? Canes fans just aint got it .

Reactions: Canucks LB

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Sure lol. And I'm sure everyone agrees with you that Necas and Hronek hold similar value, 2nd line wingers are always equal in value to top 4 RD.

• Haha

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Don’t bother with Canes fans tbh - most on this board are so biased it hurts.

Last year I said on their forum that Miller would make a great fit on their team. Most said they wouldn’t take him unless it’s for free and that the contract was an anchor.
Didn’t you tell me I must be high and didn’t know anything about hockey when I suggested last year that Hronek could be seeking $8M on his next contract? How did that age for you?

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Brent Burns Beard