Vancouver 2010 Roster Projections (Top 7 Nations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffYear92*

crosby-lecavalier-iginla
heatley-spezza-nash
morrow-m.richards-doan
gagne-fisher-toews

phaneuf-letang
weber-boyle
m.staal-bowmeester

luongo
price
emery

Nash - Crosby - Heatley
Getzlaf - Thornton - Iginla
E.Staal - Lecavalier - St.Louis
Perry - M. Richards – B.Richards ( Checking)

Extra’s Spezza – Gagne
Toews

Boyle - Bouwmeester
Phaneuf - Weber
Regehr - M.Staal
Letang

Luongo - Bernier - Price

amnesiac*

Nash - Crosby - Heatley
Getzlaf - Thornton - Iginla
E.Staal - Lecavalier - St.Louis
Perry - M. Richards – B.Richards ( Checking)

Extra’s Spezza – Gagne
Toews

Boyle - Bouwmeester
Phaneuf - Weber
Regehr - M.Staal
Letang

Luongo - Bernier - Price

I really doubt we'll see a 22 and 21 year old goalie on Team Canada.

I dont understand why so many people are omitting Pronger too. Hes only going to be 35 in 2 years.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
Never been a fan of Thornton, all show no go in my opinion. He's been surrounded by question marks for years, unless he steps up and shows he can be a go to guy he's not worth putting on the team. My team already has the #1 puck distributor in the world and plenty of centers, so he's not needed in the circles. I'll change my tune if he ever shows he's worth something, but hasn't shown anything to me yet.

Madness. Thornton has shown in past tournaments that he can excel in a defensive/checking role. Pat Quinn was extremely impressed with him in SLC (I think it was SLC).

The guy is a world-class hockey player. His only faults have been that he's played for one-trick pony teams with one-dimensional linemates in the NHL.

Thornton is a lock for 2010.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Canada:

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Lecavalier - Thornton - St. Louis
Heatley - Spezza - Briere
Smyth - E. Staal - Cammalleri

Pronger - Boyle
Bouwmeester - Phaneuf
Phillips - Redden

Luongo
Brodeur
Giguere

emb24*

i hope andy murray is coach. he'll pick a true team, a young hungry team with cohesive parts and then Canada will blow everybody away again.
:teach:

it won't be this team of gretzky country club members

GernerPSU

Jun 4, 2006
State College
In my opinion you can pick either Crosby, or Briere, because they are similar players, neither guy has the ability to grind it out in a game with limited ice time, so I picked Crosby over Briere, who would you pick?

Have you ever seen Sid play? He's been in the league long enough, you might wanna check out at least one game.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
If you think that, barring injury, Joe Thornton is anything short of a mortal lock for the 2010 Olympics, you must be A) Mytor4, or B) Mytor4. The reason he wasn't on the 2002 team was simple; he hadn't proven himself to be a top forward in the NHL, let alone a top five forward that he currently is.

There are four to five centers that are locks for 2010, barring injury. Obviously one, probably Lecavalier or Crosby, will play the wing.

Crosby
Thornton
Lecavalier
Richards
Sakic (based on whether he is still playing or not)

As for wingers (just wagering on what they will play for Canada) currently drafted/in the NHL, expect these primary candidates:
Iginla
St. Louis
E. Staal
Gagne
Heatley
Smyth
Spezza
Nash
Mike Richards
Getzlaf
Perry
Morrow
Cammalleri
Toews

And obviously some youngsters currently rookies or not drafted yet.

Defense candidates will be something like this:

Pronger
Weber
Phaneuf
Bouwmeester
Burns
Regehr/Chris Phillips
Seabrook
M. Staal
Letang
Vlasic
L. Richardson

Goalies are pretty much Luongo, Brodeur, and whoever the hell else Hockey Canada wants to ride the bench.

Last edited:

mayoradamwest*

I really doubt we'll see a 22 and 21 year old goalie on Team Canada.

I dont understand why so many people are omitting Pronger too. Hes only going to be 35 in 2 years.

Pronger was brutal in the last olympics, but would be hard to leave off. To me, he lacks the footspeed for the international game but; how that plays out on NHL rinks will be interesting. He's too talented to omit IMO, just might want to limit his ice time.
And a request for everyone as a Sens fan: never mention the words Redden and team Canada without including the phrase "there's no way in hell." There's really no reason for him to be included amongst Canada's top D men anymore it would seem.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Pronger was brutal in the last olympics, but would be hard to leave off. To me, he lacks the footspeed for the international game but; how that plays out on NHL rinks will be interesting. He's too talented to omit IMO, just might want to limit his ice time.
And a request for everyone as a Sens fan: never mention the words Redden and team Canada without including the phrase "there's no way in hell." There's really no reason for him to be included amongst Canada's top D men anymore it would seem.

Not only would he be too talented to omit, he would also be the only Canadian defenseman with any experience of winning Gold and frankly, probably a Stanley Cup.

mayoradamwest*

Pronger
Weber
Phaneuf
Bouwmeester
Burns
Regehr/Chris Phillips
Seabrook
M. Staal
Letang
Vlasic
L. Richardson
Goalies are pretty much Luongo, Brodeur, and whoever the hell else Hockey Canada wants to ride the bench.

The L can't stand for Luke.... can it?

mayoradamwest*

Not only would he be too talented to omit, he would also be the only Canadian defenseman with any experience of winning Gold and frankly, probably a Stanley Cup.

Beauchemin has the potential to win a spot. I could just see Pronger getting burned really badly by some real speed teams. He wasn't exactly stellar last time around, but he's experienced. Kinda hard to say who's going to win the cup in the next few years though.

GernerPSU

Jun 4, 2006
State College
I don't see much of Thornton and Crosby together on a line. Am I the only person that thinks those two together would be anything short of insane? They both can finish even though they are playmakers, but more importantly, they will own the puck. The cycling and domination of the opposing defense would be crazy. Put a guy like Iginla on that line and it would be something very special.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How many people are going to leave the player with the best ppg in the nhl off that list? So far we have 4 how many more? Oh yeah he also leads the nhl in playoff scoring post lockout and he is 24. I think Brier should be on the team ahead of him. Makes sense.

I mean who wants chemistry for a 15 day tournament. He doesnt bank 30 + of Heatleys stick a season.

Heatley Spezza Crosby

pure domination just try it.

SChan*

Sweden can win again as we will have a very good blueline in 2010.

Lidstrom-Enstrom
Edler-Kronwall
Stralman-Ohlund
Tallinder

Brownie

Aug 16, 2006
Richmond
If you think that, barring injury, Joe Thornton is anything short of a mortal lock for the 2010 Olympics, you must be A) Mytor4, or B) Mytor4. The reason he wasn't on the 2002 team was simple; he hadn't proven himself to be a top forward in the NHL, let alone a top five forward that he currently is.

There are four to five centers that are locks for 2010, barring injury. Obviously one, probably Lecavalier or Crosby, will play the wing.

Crosby
Thornton
Lecavalier
Richards
Sakic (based on whether he is still playing or not)

As for wingers (just wagering on what they will play for Canada) currently drafted/in the NHL, expect these primary candidates:
Iginla
St. Louis
E. Staal
Gagne
Heatley
Smyth
Spezza
Nash
Mike Richards
Getzlaf
Perry
Morrow
Cammalleri
Toews

And obviously some youngsters currently rookies or not drafted yet.

Pronger
Weber
Phaneuf
Bouwmeester
Burns
Regehr/Chris Phillips
Seabrook
M. Staal
Letang
Vlasic
L. Richardson

Luke Richardson? Huh...

Homer vote, but I think you forgot Willie Mitchell on the D. No chance in hell I see Staal, Letang and Vlasic being ahead of him in 2 years.

The_Hockey_Guy18

Dec 27, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
E.Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Lecavalier - Thornton (A) - St. Louis
Getzlaf - Spezza - Heatley
Morrow - M.Richards - Smyth (A)

Extra: Nash, B.Richards

Pronger (C) - Bouwmeester
Phaneuf - Weber
Regehr - Phillips

Extra: Boyle

Luongo
Brodeur
Price

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I´d say that both Edler and Kronwall will be blueliners in Sweden 2010.

Hell, even that Victor Hedman might be in the mix - He´ll be 18-19 by then, and with the lack of qualityplayers we´ll have in a couple of years, he might grab a spot.

Sweden is really going to hell in a handbasket, we will never ever again have the superstars we have had the last 15 years.

Canadas lineup looks sick btw.

It´s them against the world.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah I dont like the idea of Morrow or Doan on Canada. Never have. BrindAmour has never played for Canada at the top level since 1998 so he wont be there. I'm seeing a lack of love for Miek Richards though. Think about it, in over 2 years he should be an even bigger threat, his all around game would be accepted. And believe me, he would NOT have a bad game in the tourny. Richards never plays a bad game.

Let's not forget we dont know how good Tavares will be by then. He'll be a rookie, and lets give him the benefit of the doubt that he could possibly light up the NHL scene in his first year.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Russia:

Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Semin
Kovalchuk - Malkin - Afinogenov
Frolov - Kovalev(37) - Radulov
Morozov - Yashin(36) - Zherdev

A.Markov - Gonchar
Volchenkov - Zubov(39)
Kalinen - Tyutin

Nabokov - Bryzgalov - Khabibulin / S.Varlamov

Others: S.Kozlov(37), Cherepanov(21), V.Kozlov, Saprykin, Brylin, Perezhogin, Samsonov, D.Markov, Semenov, Zyuzin, Grebeshkov

As some other have said, you won't be seeing Zubov, Yashin or Kovalev.

Also, can some Russian posters tell me if N. Kulemin has the chance to make Team Russia's roster, because I defiantely can see him making it.

If so, then replace Yashin and Kovalev with Cherepanov and Kulemin.

Maybe Danis Markov too.

Czech Republic:

Havlat - Elias - Hemsky
Michalek - Plekanec - Jagr(38)
Vyborny - Hudler - Hejduk
Prospal - Olesz - Erat

Kaberle - Roszival
Kubina - Hamrlik
Kuba - Spacek

Vokoun - M.Schwarz

Others: Lang(39), Straka(37), Sykora, Vrbata, Prucha, Hanzal(23), Voracek(20), Klesla, Z.Michalek, Zidlicky, Smid

I don't think you will be seeing Jagr or Vyborny for Team Czech.

Also, for "Others", I would add Michael Frolik and Jiri Tlusty, and if Tlusty or Voracek or Frolik perform well enough, then I can see two of them, hopefully Tlusty and Voracek, make Team Czech.

Sweden:

Zetterberg - H.Sedin - Alfredsson
D.Sedin - Backstrom(22) - Naslund
Huselius - Sundin(39) - Holmstrom(37)
Pahlsson – Nylander(37) - Samuelsson

Ohlund - Lidstrom(39)
Enstrom - Tallinder
Johnsson - Backman

Lundqvist - Holmqvist - Tellqvist (The 3 Qvists)

Others: Modin, Axelsson, Franzen, J.Lundqvist, Stralman, Bergfors(22), Berglund(21), Norstrom(38), Murray, Edler, Havelid, Kronvall

I don't agree with this, either, as I don't believe Sundin, Nylander, Lidstrom or even Forsberg will be in for Team Sweden, as I see most of them retiring.

I would add N. Kronvall, A. Stralman, Edler, Axelsson, etc in for Team Sweden as well.

Pattysaurus

Oct 28, 2007
New York
My Team USA Picks:

Goaltenders:

DiPietro
Miller
Thomas

Defensemen:

Whitney - Komisarek
Martin - E. Johnson
Suter - Rafalski (A)

Forwards:

Parise - Stastny - Kane
Cole - Gomez - Gionta
Higgins - Drury (C) - Legwand
Rolston (A) - Kessel - Brown

The_Hockey_Guy18

Dec 27, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Let's not forget we dont know how good Tavares will be by then. He'll be a rookie, and lets give him the benefit of the doubt that he could possibly light up the NHL scene in his first year.

I thought about Tavares, but you have to remember, Crosby had 102 points in his first year in the league, and he was even left off the taxi-squad. I don't see Tavares lighting it up as much as Crosby did in his rookie year, so I can't see him gaining much consideration. It is extremely difficult for a rookie to make an ultra-deep team Canada.

I think, by the look of Stamkos over the past month, that he could get some serious looks, if he continues his strong play off late. I think he could end up better than Tavares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad