Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WIN] Canucks acquire 2022 3rd Round Pick for D Nate Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm legitimately concerned for your mental health.

Nobody cares about hfboards, you understand that, right?

Like, I have been here for 16 years as a registered poster, so I'm not denigrating it as a place to talk hockey. But there is no grand conspiracy. Nobody gives a shit if less than 500 jaded fans have negative opinions on everything.
Hey Markus, I appreciate your concerns.

Are you aware of the FC Barcelona, Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia 76ers among noteworthy examples?

Did you see Jakub Voracek tweet at HFboards users who criticized him this past year?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
So the Canucks just traded one of their top-4 defencemen for a 3rd round pick? The position they are weakest at? Am I missing something here or is this completely moronic.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So the Canucks just traded one of their top-4 defencemen for a 3rd round pick? The position they are weakest at? Am I missing something here or is this completely moronic.

Nate Schmidt doesn't want to be here and that's been clear since the end of the season, despite many people demanding that it's not true unless it's on a notarized statement directly from the player himself.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I would have preferred to keep Schmidt and not make the OEL trade. Benning is, in fact, making the team worse

I was specifically talking to the things done today and yesterday. I am not enamored with the OEL trade one bit, but I don't think there's a lot to criticize here, outside of moving Schmidt (which was necessitated by bringing in OEL), particularly if the rumors that Schmidt was requesting a trade/was unhappy are accurate.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The timing of the trade implies Jim is making a "splash" tomorrow. Very terrifying thought.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
When Benning acquires Schmidt for a 3rd, wow, what an amazing trade!

When -- less than a calendar year later-- Benning trades Schmidt away for a 3rd, holy cow! Another great trade for Benning!
Here's the thing: It was never actually a good trade for the Canucks. I truly believe that. It was a player already showing some signs of decline on a pretty big and lengthy contract which didn't make sense with our timeline, which at the time included being stuck in no-man's land until all the bad contracts left us (presumed to be end of 2021-22 season, so by the time of 2022-23, Schmidt would have been 31 and most likely not worth his contract). Due to the external circumstances (OEL rumours and a flood of UFAs leaving) landing Schmidt for a song was well received, but it never really made sense, beyond the optics of "doing something".... and then he had the worst season in maybe his whole career.

It's good the trade has been undone before he was unmoveable. It's bad that it's been undone probably only because Benning got the player he wanted in the first place (OEL,) and not because he's realised why Schmidt is a bad fit.

Reactions: Hollywood Burrows

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I was specifically talking to the things done today and yesterday. I am not enamored with the OEL trade one bit, but I don't think there's a lot to criticize here, outside of moving Schmidt (which was necessitated by bringing in OEL), particularly if the rumors that Schmidt was requesting a trade/was unhappy are accurate.

ok. You specifically said end of last season so I guess I was confused

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
They painted themselves into the same corner as VGK last year and got the same crappy get out of jail free card. Only with us, it's to sign our 2 young players to big contracts rather than free up capspace to acquire a #1 dman.

After the EP and Hughes deals are wrapped up, what are we looking at as salary for a replacement #4RD? 3M maybe?

The way things are looking, would not be surprised if we ice the following blue line:

OEL Myers
Hughes Hamonic
Rathbone Schenn
Juolevi

Woof.

Reactions: m9

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
They painted themselves into the same corner as VGK last year and got the same crappy get out of jail free card. Only with us, it's to sign our 2 young players to big contracts rather than free up capspace to acquire a #1 dman.

After the EP and Hughes deals are wrapped up, what are we looking at as salary for a replacement #4RD? 3M maybe?

The way things are looking, would not be surprised if we ice the following blue line:

OEL Myers
Hughes Hamonic
Rathbone Schenn
Juolevi

Woof.

8 years of Jim Benning rebuilding the D has culminated in this.

it is kinda beautiful, in a way.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The timing of the trade implies Jim is making a "splash" tomorrow. Very terrifying thought.
Could be, but I don't think it will be of the same magnitude we have seen in the past. I think this was all about clearing space for the EP and Hughes extensions, and re-working the structure to include a couple more defensive-minded defenders.

Reactions: vanarchy

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Says a lot when a guy elects to choose f***ing Winnipeg over Vancouver.

This franchise is a flaming dumpster fire.

I though last years D was bad. Losing Schmidt and Edler and replacing them with OEL and Schenn. Oof. Not just that but Myers is a sure bet to see over 20 min. Tragic.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
talking about what I “claim to believe” implying that I don’t really believe what I’m posting is an attack of my motives instead of my argument, which is the definition of an ad hominem.

I think Schmidt was clearly viewed as a poor asset, as evidenced by the trade. I don’t care about some bullshit rumor that you’re babbling about.

Can you give me a Coles notes on what you're actually saying? I'm not following the conversation.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Fully expect to see the guy have a better season this year under an actual NHL coach.

Maurice sucks but he's way better than Green structure-wise.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Pls do the smart thing tomorrow, hope the twins hide away jimbo’s phone
Sign Halak and Schenn
Resign Hamonic
Get another depth RHD
Leave yourself plenty of room for EP/Quinn and the upcoming season

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.