Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Tanner Pearson signs extension with the Canucks (3 years, $3.25M AAV)

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
You were the one that was giving credit to Benning, I'm simply stating he has a far longer list of bad than good - You can be as excited as you want to be but Benning has put this teams development back with poor choices and he has wasted the inexpensive years of our young high end talent so now he has to figure out how to improve the team with no cap and contracts that are impossible to move and an increasing % of the cap needed for core players. I'm not sure how you can watch this team and not whine about the past 7 years. I play and follow sports for the rush of victory not the joys of watching a rock eater turn the Canucks into a perpetual joke.
So who on the canucks will be overpayed after next season when erikkson, luongo and rousell contracts are off the books?

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Lets compare -
Good
Pettersson draft
Hughes draft
Boeser draft
Hoglander draft
Miller trade
Pearson trade - but doesn't make up for the terrible EG trade

Bad
Virtanen draft
Juolevi draft
McCann draft
Every other draft pick made outside of the 1st round with the exception on Demko, Hoglander and Gaudette
Gudbranson trade
Sutter trade
Not weaponizing cap when the canucks had it
Sven Baertschi trade
Beagle signing $ and term
Rousell signing $ and term
Sven signing $ and term
Sutter signing $ and term
Ferland signing $ and term
Eriksson signing $ and term
Gagner signing
Gagner for Spooner trade
Buy out of Spooner
Nilsson signing
I'm sure there's more but i'm having a hard time typing with the tears in my eyes.
I'd also add:
Trading of Madden and a 2nd for 17 games of Tyler Toffoli and then not re-signing Toffoli.
2nd for Vey
Sbisa signing $ and term

Reactions: Boondock

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
This was a bad signing. Pearson is a fine player but not the direction they need to go and could of
used this money towards the high end RFA they need to sign.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If Pearson had committed to this extension last offseason people would have called it a solid deal.
It's a messed up season for the Canucks, but don't take it out on Pearson. He's paid less next year than this year and the deal ends around the time you would expect him to completely fall off.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think another poster said it best -- if he signed this deal a year ago, people would be saying it's a great deal.

Reality is, the guy is 28 years old, his production over the last 5 years has been as follows:
2016-17: 24 Goals, 44 points in 80 games
2017-18: 15 goals, 40 points in 82 games
2018-19: 18 goals, 26 points in 80 games
2019-20: 21 goals, 45 points in 69 games
2020-21: 6 goals, 11 points in 33 games... pacing at 15 goals and 27 points.

The real "problem" with this deal is more around the likes of Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Brandon Sutter, and Antoine Roussel.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
I think another poster said it best -- if he signed this deal a year ago, people would be saying it's a great deal.

Reality is, the guy is 28 years old, his production over the last 5 years has been as follows:
2016-17: 24 Goals, 44 points in 80 games
2017-18: 15 goals, 40 points in 82 games
2018-19: 18 goals, 26 points in 80 games
2019-20: 21 goals, 45 points in 69 games
2020-21: 6 goals, 11 points in 33 games... pacing at 15 goals and 27 points.

The real "problem" with this deal is more around the likes of Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Brandon Sutter, and Antoine Roussel.
And really its only a problem for 1 more season. Except for sutter and switching from trymakin for edler is a improvement imo

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So who on the canucks will be overpayed after next season when erikkson, luongo and rousell contracts are off the books?
If Benning is still in charge it could be anyone. But my guess would be some foundational piece performing like a sub par fourth liner. Myers is overpaid for a 2nd pairing guy, in a couple years I can’t imagine that deal looks any better, but he’s the least of the wasted cap on the Canucks right now.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Okay, here we go:

bright side:
If Pearson regains his form to last year, this will be a great deal. Let’s face it, if we signed him to this deal last summer after scoring at a 25g and 53pt pace it would look like a good deal. The guy is only 28 years old, hence it’s likely he’ll be relatively effective for the duration of this contract, and there’s a high probably he could bounce back. This year has been a tire fire for the Canucks, another reason a rebound is possible.

downside:
Even with the above in consideration, Pearson is on pace for 27 points this season, what on earth has he done to earn this contract? It’s also a flat cap, where better players are available for nearly free as cap dumps. Pearson seems like a candidate who would take a 1 year deal at around 2mil, so we should have offered him that or let him go.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Apologies for mentioning Dubas. I will stay on topic.

It’s a bad signing, too much money for bottom six talent. Shows a continued lack of vision by this franchise.

Okay, before we call Pearson a “bottom 6” talent, he scored at a 25 goal and 53 point pace with the Canucks last season, and a similar pace the year before.

I’m not happy about this contract for a lot of reasons, but I’m not really to call him a bottom 6 player. Let’s see how he does next year after a good camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad