Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Tanner Pearson signs extension with the Canucks (3 years, $3.25M AAV)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Not necessarily. If podz plays better than pearson he can easily join the second line.

He's a complete unknown.. is having a good playoff in the K but wasn't a top 6er in the regular season. Plus Hoglander is in his sophomore season which is often not something you can rely on even though people always do.

So let's just say, chances are, Pearson will be there.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
Roussel
Beagle
Eriksson
Sutter
Holtby
Myers
Ferland
Baertschi
Pearson

How does one team physically support that much cap deadweight and not be bottom 5 in the league? Pretty sure that's enough dough for McDavid Drasaitl and Doughty with change left over

Also at one point Gagner, Schaller, Sbisa and Gudbranson lel
So are we supposed to just ignore the good hes done, trade for JT Miller? Drafting petterson, Hughes, Demko, hoglander, boeser. Signing horvat and other main core players to fair deals?

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Bold move by the Canucks Upper Management to keep giving out money
to the point its going to be difficult to negotiate with their two best players.

that is the epitome of playing with fire.
do you I guess

Reactions: Son of Petter

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Don’t see the big deal here honestly.... Beagle is likely LTIRetired... (3M) Sutter and Edler likely come off the books at seasons end (10M) Eriksson, Holtby and Roussel are UFA’s after 21/22 also. (12.5M)

You’re basically replacing Beagle’s cap hit with Pearson’s. And who says he can’t live up to the deal?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So are we supposed to just ignore the good hes done, trade for JT Miller? Drafting petterson, Hughes, Demko, hoglander, boeser. Signing horvat and other main core players to fair deals?
Lets compare -
Good
Pettersson draft
Hughes draft
Boeser draft
Hoglander draft
Miller trade
Pearson trade - but doesn't make up for the terrible EG trade

Bad
Virtanen draft
Juolevi draft
McCann draft
Every other draft pick made outside of the 1st round with the exception on Demko, Hoglander and Gaudette
Gudbranson trade
Sutter trade
Not weaponizing cap when the canucks had it
Sven Baertschi trade
Beagle signing $ and term
Rousell signing $ and term
Sven signing $ and term
Sutter signing $ and term
Ferland signing $ and term
Eriksson signing $ and term
Gagner signing
Gagner for Spooner trade
Buy out of Spooner
Nilsson signing
I'm sure there's more but i'm having a hard time typing with the tears in my eyes.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Pearson deserved something like 2.5-2.75 on the open market. The problem is, why don’t the Canucks just let him go and free up the space? Why didn’t you just sign Toffoli if you were going to tie up 3.25m anyways in a lesser player? This is why it’s a terrible deal in the grand scheme of things even if he’s only overpaid by about 750k

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Yet the nucks were terrible before we got the good players (draft pics) in the lineup. All the best parts of the canucks now are all because of benning.
He has been the GM for 7 years - in professional sports the entire team turns over in 5 years so its simple time frame not because he has done anything. In those 7 years the Canucks have been one of the worst teams in the league and they are trending downwards again. So guess what the worst parts of the team are all because of Benning as well.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
He has been the GM for 7 years - in professional sports the entire team turns over in 5 years so its simple time frame not because he has done anything. In those 7 years the Canucks have been one of the worst teams in the league and they are trending downwards again. So guess what the worst parts of the team are all because of Benning as well.
Well we were doing a rebuild during pretty much his entire time as GM. Not like teams give the canucks their best players so we dont have to go thru hard times. Sorry if im excited with what we have going on right now and the future with the core we finally have. This is a thread talking about pearson and the next three years and i don’t believe its some horrible contract that puts us back into the dark ages for a guy in his late 20’s that has score 20 goals a few times. Keep whining about the past 7 years if u want tho

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Benning is GM in name only, the owner is the managing director.

The Owner makes all the decisions and all the tweets.

The Canucks are simply a vanity piece to him and a play toy.

The owner is unlikely to fire Benning because he is a ventriloquist's puppet.

The ventriloquist is unlikely to fire himself because running the hockey operations is intoxicating.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Pearson didn’t look that good this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts to regress. Not a big fan of this signing given our cap issues already.
To be fair..the players who are having a decent season for the canucks..you could count on 3 fingers.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Aquilini has it just like he wants it. A hapless yes man that will sit like a lap dog in front of the media while the Aqua family calls a lot of the shots. These 2 boneheads are made for each other, sucks for all us Canucks fans tho. #FireBenning #SellTheTeam

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Well we were doing a rebuild during pretty much his entire time as GM. Not like teams give the canucks their best players so we dont have to go thru hard times. Sorry if im excited with what we have going on right now and the future with the core we finally have. This is a thread talking about pearson and the next three years and i don’t believe its some horrible contract that puts us back into the dark ages for a guy in his late 20’s that has score 20 goals a few times. Keep whining about the past 7 years if u want tho
You were the one that was giving credit to Benning, I'm simply stating he has a far longer list of bad than good - You can be as excited as you want to be but Benning has put this teams development back with poor choices and he has wasted the inexpensive years of our young high end talent so now he has to figure out how to improve the team with no cap and contracts that are impossible to move and an increasing % of the cap needed for core players. I'm not sure how you can watch this team and not whine about the past 7 years. I play and follow sports for the rush of victory not the joys of watching a rock eater turn the Canucks into a perpetual joke.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
A lot of overreactions in here. Pearson is a decent middle 6 player and a fair contract for that.

It's just paying $3M for mediocrity (after Canucks fans watch Toffoli lighting it up in Montreal), especially when you've got a few big contracts coming up over the next few years. Ideally, you want to save as much cap space for the big ones then build around them.

You could argue it's (close to) fair value today and at only 3 years the risk is minimal but let's see how they do with their RFAs and where the cap situation is then, but for now it kind of just adds to the potential headache.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Benning handing out another contract to a bottom 6 player is outrageous... their best two players are unsigned and it’s a flat cap... what the f***.....

11 points in 30+ games? And that gets you Seattle trade protection?

I’m done, down with garbage contracts from the worst GM plug in the league....he barely talks to the media and now there is only one radio station who has coverage and they are rights holders. I doubt he gets asked any tough questions...
Dubas beat him in a poll for worst GM if you can believe it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $950.00