Proposal: VAN-SJ

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I agree with the guy who brought up the Kostin suggestion. Not sure he's a player but it's atleast a lotto ticket.

When the Canucks moved Dickinson with a 2nd they did get back Riley Stillman who they felt was a legit player/asset, he wasn't great but ended up getting moved for a legit prospect that was a recent 3rd rounder.

I imagine that's kind of the blueprint with Mikheyev+2nd for Kostin idea. But I also see Sharks fan here view Kostin as an asset so... Idk.

Not sure what Kostins value would be alone & I doubt the Canucks would tag on much more when their already dumping another one of their top picks.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Enjoy your wasteland of a blueline.
I must have missed where the Sharks winning the celly sweeps meant they were cup contenders this year..... with the cap space they have going into next year's dman UFA class and the prospects they are stock piling...... the Sharks D will be fine when they are contending for the cup again in a few years.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
How about something like SJ's 2024 2nd round pick (33rd overall), Kostin and Rutta for Hronek and Mikheyev?

Hronek has more value than that, even if he's an unsigned RFA.

SJ

Hronek
Mikheyev
Poolman LITR contract (insured)

Vancouver

Kostin
Sturm
2024 2nd round pick

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008

SJ

Hronek
Mikheyev

Vancouver

Kostin
Sturm
2024 2nd round pick
0 chance of that. Just because you feel Hronek has value doesn't mean the sharks are interested in buying him. Sharks are not trading futures for Hronek. Sturm will be worth a 2nd at the deadline. Kostin has more value to the sharks than his trade value so no need to move him.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
0 chance of that. Just because you feel Hronek has value doesn't mean the sharks are interested in buying him. Sharks are not trading futures for Hronek. Sturm will be worth a 2nd at the deadline. Kostin has more value to the sharks than his trade value so no need to move him.Yoir

One of your fans suggested Hronek…

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

SJ

Hronek
Mikheyev

Vancouver

Kostin
Sturm
2024 2nd round pick
I'd do that.

Key word there is one.
Not a fan of Hronek's game but he could easily put up 60+ points a year quarterbacking the top PP unit with Celebrini, Smith and Eklund. Acquire him at a discount, sign him for 3 years, pump his value then flip him for a bigger return.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
I'd do that.

Not a fan of Hronek's game but he could easily put up 60+ points a year quarterbacking the top PP unit with Celebrini, Smith and Eklund. Acquire him at a discount, sign him for 3 years, pump his value then flip him for a bigger return.
Let's break this down. Not a fan of his game - don't trade for him.

No the sharks won't pump up a dman that played 23 min a night on a high scoring team. While Smith and Celly will be fun to watch they are still young rookies and will take a few years before they are 80+ pt all stars. He's coming from a team that has 100pt players currently.

Players going on 27 having the best year of their career at 48 pts are more than likely not taking a 3 yr deal to hit the market going on 30. He's probably getting 7-8 years 50-65 mil. Then add in the Labanc 2.0 cap dump in Ilya and the wasted contract slot from poolman. The discounted rate for that is the #33 pick in the draft, a really good 3rd line center that would be a hot commodity at the deadline and a 25 yr old bottom 6 forward that showed promise.

There's no reason for a team in the sharks position of a rebuild to make a trade like this.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
f***ing ew. Don't trade Hronek just to get rid of Mikheyev that is incredibly short sighted and foolish. Good Top 4/pair RHDs are incredibly hard to find in the league right now. Just buyout Mikheyev instead at that rate.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd do that.

He could but why would we invest 8 years and a high draft pick into that when we don't even know if Celebrini is turning pro or whether Smith actually has it at the NHL level. We also carry significant risk of Hronek not being able to carry his own blue line because he's consistently shown that he can't and what that kind of player looks like in decline as the contract ages. If we're not using the draft pick to get a good prospect, we should make sure it goes into a real top pairing guy or #1 and not a pretty good #3 when lineup spots and cap space are still finite even with us in the position we're in currently.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Um sure? If I respond to that one fan it’s silly to then suggest I’m trying to push Hronek on SJ or whatever. Try to keep up before commenting.
Try to keep up? I seen his message and also the next sharks fans message not wanting his offer immediately after with good reasoning. Then you went and made it worse when it was already bad as is. Who needs to keep up?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
0 chance of that. Just because you feel Hronek has value doesn't mean the sharks are interested in buying him. Sharks are not trading futures for Hronek. Sturm will be worth a 2nd at the deadline. Kostin has more value to the sharks than his trade value so no need to move him.
I doubt Storm gets a 2nd at the deadline. I like him but he's a very good 13th forward on a contender

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
I doubt Storm gets a 2nd at the deadline. I like him but he's a very good 13th forward on a contender
He's a good bottom 6 center that can win faceoffs and penalty kill. Gms overpay for those. 2nd isn't out of the question looking at what those types of players have gotten over the years.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He's a good bottom 6 center that can win faceoffs and penalty kill. Gms overpay for those. 2nd isn't out of the question looking at what those types of players have gotten over the years.
He's a good 4th liner and while there's always demand for those, they're also a dime a dozen and practically every team would much rather give up a later round pick for that than a 2nd simply because of the supply.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You know what, I didn't realize Kostin's cap hit was 2M, defeats the purpose of moving Mikheyev

San Jose can keep him.

Yeah. Whether it's Kostin, Sturm, whatever...taking back $2M on a forward basically neuters the whole point of paying a significant asset to unload Mikheyev's cap. If you're only getting ~$2.75M relief instead of the full boat $4.75M it's not nearly worth that pick. Better off just going the buyout route at that point.

I'd almost entertain the idea for Luke Kunin potentially...but i'm probably still a bigger believer in him than most. His QO is also a bit of a sticking point in that...and i'm not sure he's got any reason to accept anything less than that, even if it's in exchange for term.

Ultimately, if the Canucks are going to give up one of their few remaining liquid "trade chips" like a 2nd round pick to unload Mikheyev's salary...i think it probably has to be just purely clearing his entire cap from the books, without taking back any questionable to poor salary to eat into the savings. Have to basically look at it as money that is almost purely going to go to other priority signings, and have Mik's roster spot filled by someone like Podkolzin at a minimal $1M.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah. Whether it's Kostin, Sturm, whatever...taking back $2M on a forward basically neuters the whole point of paying a significant asset to unload Mikheyev's cap. If you're only getting ~$2.75M relief instead of the full boat $4.75M it's not nearly worth that pick. Better off just going the buyout route at that point.

I'd almost entertain the idea for Luke Kunin potentially...but i'm probably still a bigger believer in him than most. His QO is also a bit of a sticking point in that...and i'm not sure he's got any reason to accept anything less than that, even if it's in exchange for term.

Ultimately, if the Canucks are going to give up one of their few remaining liquid "trade chips" like a 2nd round pick to unload Mikheyev's salary...i think it probably has to be just purely clearing his entire cap from the books, without taking back any questionable to poor salary to eat into the savings. Have to basically look at it as money that is almost purely going to go to other priority signings, and have Mik's roster spot filled by someone like Podkolzin at a minimal $1M.
That's why the Knyzhov idea makes more sense to me from Vancouver's perspective. Why would they take a chance on Kostin or put value in Sturm as a 4C at that cost when they probably have better players they can get for the money elsewhere. Take Knyzhov back and bury him in the minors and use it how you prefer. Hell, Burroughs makes more sense as the dump going back the other way because he can also be buried and has experience with the organization.

Reactions: biturbo19

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

That's fair, but Sturm is a player who provides value in the lineup. I agree that trading for him hurts the point Vancouver is trying to make, which is to clear cap. So probably not the best target.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dumping Mikheyev’s $4.5M is crucial for being able to improve or even maintain the roster over the next two seasons and a 2nd seems reasonable to me. Done.
It does seem reasonable but are the Canucks that close to being a contender to go all in here?

Also we don't exactly have a great pipeline or a lot of picks coming up but sure this trade seems fair.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It does seem reasonable but are the Canucks that close to being a contender to go all in here?

Also we don't exactly have a great pipeline or a lot of picks coming up but sure this trade seems fair.
The way it looks from my perspective as a fan of a divisional opponent, their probable window is during Hughes' contract. It looks like Vancouver has the flexibility to address their needs without this sort of deal if things fall well enough. But I'm sure this deal will be available to them from the Sharks for a while since I don't expect the Sharks to spend to cap this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad