Post-Game Talk: Van Ryn's system and Jones hand another loss

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Strange one to evaluate. Leafs were brutal in the first, but more or less dominated from there. I think 3 things made the difference:

1. Demko > Jones
2. Van PP > Leafs PP
3. Van PK > Leafs PK

The first period bs was negated imo. So no issue with the effort in the final 40.

Assume another loss tomorrow. And I don't see us beating WPG in either game. So some decisions await.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Safe to say, it's been a disaster changing D coaches. Jones is now unplayable. Unless the new coach is relieving Van Ryan of duties, nothing is changing.

This has nothing to do with Van Ryan but everything to do with Keefe
All this years Keefe had teams with depth that hid his difficiencies

His luck is finally running out

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
For Jones, tonight was called "returning to the mean".
For a 3rd stringer his SV% was way too high, now it's coming back to earth.
It was always a just a matter of time. Jones have proven over a large sample size that he is not a good goaltender. He and Samsonov should alter starts until one of them takes the net or Woll comes back

Mar 26, 2010
Strange one to evaluate. Leafs were brutal in the first, but more or less dominated from there. I think 3 things made the difference:

1. Demko > Jones
2. Van PP > Leafs PP
3. Van PK > Leafs PK

The first period bs was negated imo. So no issue with the effort in the final 40.

Assume another loss tomorrow. And I don't see us beating WPG in either game. So some decisions await.
Keefe is not getting fired this season. They will make a coaching change after this season when the leafs officially missed the playoffs.

Leafs will finish 12 in the east.

Reactions: Leterman

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
fiesty?

Leafs should thank Vancouver for reminding them of what will eventually be required to be successful. In the only phase Leafs fans really care about, the playoffs.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I don't think coaching is your guys issue, the defense and depth is definitely holding your team back, our bottom 6 outplayed yours by a mile, although your top 3 players played great. Once Woll comes back and if you can get a top 4 RHD and some bottom six depth this team will be extremely tough to beat IMO.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
soft soft team. cant believe how much the leafs get goon'd and zero calls then two suspect cross checking penalties sink them. changes are needed cause our elite forward group need help in the back end.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I legitimately can't think of a single loss that hasn't been due to goaltending.

This team would be the best in the league if they could get even average goaltending.

Jones is pathetic

Reactions: Sypher04

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Very frustrating game, the Leafs played well after an awful start

Three straight powerplays to open the third period tho.....

This is going to be a thing against fast team. We are not a great skating team and our D are terribly slow
Brodie and Gio can be expected to take penalties, they have lost their legs

Reactions: Leterman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There's nothing about that loss to Vancouver that was unexpected.

From the shitty Leaf effort to start the game, the little miracle comeback burst courtesy of score effects. Terrible and aimless special teams, increasingly unreliable goaltending from Jones, weak defensive coverage, blowing it late in the third, over-use and weak defense by Giordano, inconsistent star impact... it was basically just your standard 2023-24 roller coaster Leaf ride and you want to vomit after.

I think they manage at least 1 point in Seattle and go 0-2 vs Winnipeg. Does a coaching change happen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad