Confirmed with Link: [VAN/PIT] Canucks Acquire Mark Friedman (RD) & Ty Glover (FW) for Jack Rathbone (LD) & Karel Plasek (FW)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
There was a lot of enthusiasm about Rathbone coming out of Harvard but after putting up big numbers for Abottsford in 2021-22 he was never able to stick with the Canucks.

He played a career-high 71 games this past year (including two playoff games) - all in the AHL.

As a 25-year-old, is there any value in him as a free agent or is he a career minor league player at this point?

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
There was a lot of enthusiasm about Math one coming out of Harvard but after putting up it numbers for Abottsford in 2021-22 he was never able to stick with the Canucks.

He played a career-high 71 games this past year (including two playoff games) - all in the AHL.

As a 25-year-old, is there any value in him as a free agent or is he a career minor league player at this point?
At best he will be a depth guy who fills in when injuries hit, particularly to replace offensive D-men. He has some skill. He just doesn't have enough of the all around game to be a regular at the NHL level. I was a big fan and disappointed when he didn't stick.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There was a lot of enthusiasm about Rathbone coming out of Harvard but after putting up big numbers for Abottsford in 2021-22 he was never able to stick with the Canucks.

He's small and terrible defensively and after a couple concussions he also seemed to lose his offensive verve at the AHL level. Pure AHL/Euro filler.

Reactions: bh53

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose Ty Glover isn't completely dead as a prospect. Still only 23, and signed for this upcoming season before he becomes an RFA.

He's big--6'3" and 210--and skates very well for a big man. In fact his skating is probably his strongest trait. His college stats at Western Michigan were also pretty pedestrian.

But offensively, he seems to have hands of stone. Although of interest, in a 15-game stint with Kalamazoo in the ECHL, he wracked up 12 goals and 23 points. But only had three goals and four assists in 37 games with Abbotsford.

Originally signed as a college UFA by the Penguins, obviously Rutherford and Allvin knew a lot a about him. The other thing he has going for him is that Hockey DB lists him as a center--an area where the Canucks are still lacking in organizational depth.

So he probably earns permanent playing time in Abbotsford this season. But needs a real breakthrough season.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
turtle derby of a trade so far but rathbone is still plugging away at being a 2way dman who skates like the wind and i would lay odds he eventually does better than glover.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The thing we gave up wasn't Rathbone, it was taking the dead contract slot for Ty Glover for the 14-15 season. But I'd still say the trade was a minor win.
I suppose Ty Glover isn't completely dead as a prospect. Still only 23, and signed for this upcoming season before he becomes an RFA.

He's big--6'3" and 210--and skates very well for a big man. In fact his skating is probably his strongest trait. His college stats at Western Michigan were also pretty pedestrian.

But offensively, he seems to have hands of stone. Although of interest, in a 15-game stint with Kalamazoo in the ECHL, he wracked up 12 goals and 23 points. But only had three goals and four assists in 37 games with Abbotsford.

Originally signed as a college UFA by the Penguins, obviously Rutherford and Allvin knew a lot a about him. The other thing he has going for him is that Hockey DB lists him as a center--an area where the Canucks are still lacking in organizational depth.

So he probably earns permanent playing time in Abbotsford this season. But needs a real breakthrough season.

What are your views on Glover? I thought there was some potential there with his size and speed but he hasn't managed to put things together at the AHL level. Scored like a generational player in the ECHL. :sarcasm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Glover is dead as a prospect. He's 24 and had 7 points in 37 games in the AHL last year.

Skates fast in straight lines and is pretty physical at times but limited talent and his turning radius and agility is actually really poor. One of those guys who's fast but not really a great skater.

He might but useful 4th line Abbotsford depth next year but I'd be stunned if he ever played an NHL game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Glover is dead as a prospect. He's 24 and had 7 points in 37 games in the AHL last year.

Skates fast in straight lines and is pretty physical at times but limited talent and his turning radius and agility is actually really poor. One of those guys who's fast but not really a great skater.

He might but useful 4th line Abbotsford depth next year but I'd be stunned if he ever played an NHL game.

You might be right.....but just for argument's sake, when Dakota Joshua was 23, he split his rookie season between the San Antonio Rampage (3 goals and 4 assists in 30 games; and the ECHL Tulsa Oilers (3 goals and 11 assists in 20 games.

I'm sure when the St. Louis Blues were doing a deep dive on their prospect pool that year, Joshua would be nowhere to be found. So it does happen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You might be right.....but just for argument's sake, when Dakota Joshua was 23, he split his rookie season between the San Antonio Rampage (3 goals and 4 assists in 30 games; and the ECHL Tulsa Oilers (3 goals and 11 assists in 20 games.

I'm sure when the St. Louis Blues were doing a deep dive on their prospect pool that year, Joshua would be nowhere to be found. So it does happen.

I mean, you can find a unicorn anywhere.

The fact that Alex Burrows was in the ECHL at age 23 doesn't mean that any single guy that age in the ECHL now is anything more than a massive longshot.

Nothing is impossible, but it's one of those <1% things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad