Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] D Filip Hronek signs extension with the Canucks (8 years, $7.25M AAV)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
devon toews >> filip hronek
the other one is worth the contract, the other one is currently half season wonder

You do know Hronek played extremely well for Detroit as well before coming to Vancouver right?

A 45/50 point RHD D-man who can skate, shoot, and has chemistry with Quinn Hughes for 7.25m is fair.

Is he overpaid? Sure, About 250k at most, but at the same time, the Cap is going to skyrocket in the next 4 years, this is gonna be the rate for a #3/4 guy soon, not a #1/2.

Last edited:

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
After the upcoming free agency period leading up to training camp, this contract will be thought of as good value for the Canucks and fair for Hronek.

He is only 26 and this was the first year where he got to play in a good team structure and with real top-to-bottom NHL talent. Alvin mentioned that he has a higher upside and I think the teams executives and coaches believe that.

Last year at the end of the season, Tocchet let everyone know, in no uncertain terms, that this was going to be a big off-season for everyone.

He wasn't lying...Kuzmenko got traded, Joshua got called out and benched after Garland went after him in preseason and the team understands "proof of concept " in what Tocch was preaching.

Bottom line is Hronek earned his contract but has also shown the Canucks brass he has the potential to get off Hughes line and contribute on his own.

Canucks have D-Petey and Willander a year away from pushing for spots on the roster.

This was a very sensical trade that will %100 have ++ value.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Probably a couple of years too long, as all 8 year deals are, but the AVV is deserved. Vancouver should have more than enough good years out of him.

Reactions: Szechwan and Bgav

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1718785052325.png

Looks pretty good.

Worse than Myers?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Coffey and luiginb

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Filip Hronek's last 3 seasons:
19 goals, 125 points in 223 games, +11

Brady Skjei's last 3 seasons:
40 goals, 124 points in 243 games, +44

And one of them didn't spend his best season attached at the hip to a top 3 offensive defenseman in the NHL.

So what's Skjei worth now? 8x7?

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
View attachment 884302

Looks pretty good.

Worse than Myers?
Maybe don't base your opinion on a chart that would have Nils Hoglander as the third best player on a team that won its division?

Hronek looked very good until he looked injured this year. I've got my knocks against some of play, in particular I think habitually defends the crease by interference and stick infractions that could get called more than they have but he's a very capable D-man who played 1 second less per game than Adam Fox this past season and looked good for it.
Down the stretch and in the playoffs wasn't good for him, no arguing with that but having watched him all year I think this is a solid deal from the off for Vancouver. As a fan I'm happy with the signing.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

And one of them didn't spend his best season attached at the hip to a top 3 offensive defenseman in the NHL.

If you think playing with Hughes helped Hronek, don't you think it hurt him to play 2 of those seasons surrounded by mostly garbage in Detroit?

That said Skjei is definitely getting paid.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I feel like this is a great deal, especially looking at d-men with cap hits in that range, (6.75 to 7.5):

McDonough
Provorov
Vlasic
Dunn
Ekblad
Rielly
Spurgeon

I think I take Hronek over any of them. Plus the fact he's only 26, so locking him in for 8 years for what should be his prime is solid.

Edit: I forgot Toews and Hanifin which are more recent contracts. Though I wouldn't take Hronek over either of those guys, there are parts of Hronek's game which I appreciate, I still think 7.25 is a good cap hit for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

I know you're a legendary nucks hater but I'm struggling on how this paints Hronek in a bad light? Especially since Hronek didn't really break out until his last season with Detroit. Both are excellent players

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Skjei is 3.5 years older than Hronek so be sure to factor that in when comparing contract value.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
devon toews >> filip hronek
the other one is worth the contract, the other one is currently half season wonder
Toews is better than Hronek. Both start new deal next season but Toews is 30 while Hronek is 26 going on 27 later this year.

If they were the same age the gap in their AAV would be larger but age absolutely plays a factor.

most would bet on a player performing better at age 27/28 year than at 35/36.

Reactions: Szechwan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad