Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] D Filip Hronek signs extension with the Canucks (8 years, $7.25M AAV)

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
All I see here is if you ignore the part where he played bad he was good
I'm not ignoring anything. I was pointing out that for two straight seasons he played at an elite level until injury ultimately derailed him.

I fully acknowledge that he's not gonna be a ppg player, especially with very little pp time
I also don't think at any point during the regular season he was "bad" he just wasn't as good.

Ever since the trade we had some wings fans who early in the 2022-23 season that were singing his praises all of a sudden start shitting on him, which tbf to those wings fans is often what happens when a player gets traded.
Now this season after his points declined once again the narrative switched to get was shit again.
I'm simply pointing out the main reason why there was such a huge dropoff and I was responding to posts that were bashing this contract based on just his down part of his season.
Not like I'm coming here touting this as the steal of the year.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Sorry to hear about your lack of critical thinking.

He was injured and his play dipped. That's not us trying to use a horoscope to justify his play. It's literally cause and effect.

Oh look, the guy who shows his whole ass with bitter takes every time the Canucks come up. What did the whale do to you my man?

I'm thrilled with this deal and I say that as someone who, you know, actually watched the player play almost 100 times this season.

The one thing I will grant is that, with Seider, it didn't make sense for Detroit to pay a premium for two RDs, so it made sense for them to trade him in that sense. But acting like this is a terrible deal will just make you look like a fool down the road.

Us pointing out that your smugness around 'I approve of this deal as an oiler fan' is ignorant, wrong, and hilariously hypocritical with the boat anchor contracts you have isn't us being fragile, it's us laughing at your expense.
The dudes arm was so heavily taped he could diffuse a bomb with it ffs 😂

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
It's a reasonable deal. Top 4 RHD is one of the most valued positions in the league right now and you know he meshes with Hughes.

That being said, if Hronek is to make it to the end of this deal he needs to learn how to avoid getting plastered by big hits a lot better. Those are contributing to his injuries which contributes to his dip in play.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If he can continue his play this year, then that's a fair/more on the side of good contract.

Assuming he does close.to want he did this year he easily gets over 8 next offseason.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Hronek:
Corsi%: 53.7%
CorsiRel: 4.5
Fenwick%: 51.3%
FenRel: 1.0

Reilly:
Corsi%: 51.5%
CorsiRel: 0.7
Fenwick%: 51.3%
FenRel: 0.1

Points aside, looks like Hronek had a year that was equivalent to Reilly, at minimum.

Not that they can't have an opinion on contracts, but maybe their opinion isn't great because many spent a few years defending the Nurse contract.
Hronek with Hughes
Corsi % 56.44%
CorsiRel 7.37
Fenwick % 53.95%
FenRel 4.01

Hronek without Hughes
Corsi % 43.87%
CorsiRel -8.24
Fenwick % 41.96%
FenRel -10.14

pretty easy to see that he was carried by his Norris Trophy level defence partner.

Might just be the going rate for #3 or #4 defenseman now though.

Reactions: TS Quint

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
It's a reasonable deal. Top 4 RHD is one of the most valued positions in the league right now and you know he meshes with Hughes.

That being said, if Hronek is to make it to the end of this deal he needs to learn how to avoid getting plastered by big hits a lot better. Those are contributing to his injuries which contributes to his dip in play.
He's out there as a decoy to protect Quinn, all part of the plan my man. :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcarder

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Good for Filip for getting paid, but the pressure is now gonna be insane, and it’s something he’s never been good with taking on.

He can’t just be Quinn’s sidekick now.

They handed him the money to play the role he struggled to play (when asked) this past season. It’s the role they envisioned when they traded for him, but also a role he has never been able to find any consistency playing, except for a stretch in Detroit a couple years ago..

He now has to carry his own weight. They’ve got a $7.25 million Dman who needs some pretty major protection. Maybe it’s time to get on the phone with Detroit, and get Maatta (as Zadorov is going to market now), who’s been the only partner who’s ever been able to help Hronek play at the level Vancouver just signed him to play, during a 30-35 game stretch in 22’-23’ with Detroit. Well worth the $3 million price tag it’ll cost, and a draft pick.

It’s gonna be the most dissected contract in Vancouver by Christmas. There’s not gonna be any honeymoon with this one. There will be a faction of fans who will make the whipping boy Myers years sound schoolyard like, and the Vancouver media will have him in every retention trade speculation possible.

That’s what happens when you get a bag of money though. Hopefully he’s able to take his game to the level they’re now paying him. No more piling up points playing with Quinn.

The day they traded for him, they knew this day was coming. You don’t give up what they did for him, without knowing he was gonna get paid.

Hopefully he’s worth it. 8 years is a lifetime though, for a guy who’s never put together even one season of producing the way you’re expected to, making $7.25 million times 8 years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Huh? If anything that cap hit is going to be great after 4 years of cap rising. Since when do Dmen with + skating die at 30?
When they’re not as big, get banged around, lose the Norris-level defenseman dragging him around. Perhaps the goalie keeps up his level, but he’s second pair guy at best who is now getting paid more than Devon Toews who has been a much better player on both ends in a similar situation, without the all-star goalie behind him.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
People will say 'wow' but that's a decent contract for VAN in my view.
Depends which Hronek they get. His second half of the season wasn’t nearly as good.

Glad the Wings didn’t keep him and end up with this contract, he’s too unpredictable.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Depends which Hronek they get. His second half of the season wasn’t nearly as good.

Glad the Wings didn’t keep him and end up with this contract, he’s too unpredictable.
Hronek and Seider as the top two right side D through their primes would be pretty darned nice. IMO the Wings make the playoffs this year with Hronek and are a playoff team for the next 6-8 years.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Young
nearly 50 points
Right D
Keep cappy happy
Tradeable
lower $ than expected
more term than expected

W. Great job Patty O'Lantern.

Next.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Hronek and Seider as the top two right side D through their primes would be pretty darned nice. IMO the Wings make the playoffs this year with Hronek and are a playoff team for the next 6-8 years.
They make the playoffs but get slaughtered in the 1st round and have no money left to improve the team. He’s not the type of D we need to be giving that kind of money to

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Damn……

Was hoping we would have traded him and brought in some UFA guys

He was sooo bad in the 2nd half of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad