Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Jake DeBrusk signs with the Canucks (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
was hoping Edmonton would land him, probably wishful thinking, because I think it's a fair contract for both sides, and there was no way Edmonton could of afforded this deal. Stinks that he landed in the Pacific, because he always preforms well against the Oil.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
He asked for a trade a few years ago right? Why was he so disgruntled with Boston?
because he's sensitive to criticism. Cassidy expected consistency and accountability. Jake felt singled out.
Gee, coach takes team to Cup(should have won, but choked), then leaves and wins Cup in 1st year(w/AHL goaltending), must be the coach.....Jake's grown a little bit, but still maddeningly inconsistent.

Good contract, good player, great signing, just understand what you're getting and have reasonable expectations of the results.

If he goes off and scores 40G's great for him. I'm be happy for him, and surprised.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

lawrence

May 19, 2012
was hoping Edmonton would land him, probably wishful thinking, because I think it's a fair contract for both sides, and there was no way Edmonton could of afforded this deal. Stinks that he landed in the Pacific, because he always preforms well against the Oil.
they tried, but they rather have Arvidson and Henrique.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
You didn't really offer plausible facts or a good explanation?

Again If Marchand had the intensity and consistency from day 1 and played on the top line with Bergeron why did it take till 27/the same age as Debrusk to turn from 18*-24-25 goals to 37-39-34-36. You think it just finally came together due to his operating setting?

"1% and nothing special about Debrusk"? .....again not a plausible answer. Zero chance that a guy who has 25-27-19 goals his last 3 yrs has 1% of the drive.

JT Miller did the same thing for us when he came over from TB at roughly the same age as Marchand? He had a reputation as lazy inconsistent and unhappy in his role. Sound familiar

Marchand didn't really have a centralized role on the Bruins PP1 until his first spike year in 2015/16. Torrey Krug that year took over from a aging Zdeno Chara now 37/38 who had a bomb but was never that great at moving the puck around. They went from 17.84% on the PP (below league average of 18.66%) to 20.51% and by the next year David Pastrnak was also playing a big role.

Marchand collected 12 assists off Pastrnak goals and Pastrnak helped set up Marchand 13 times. The Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak trio was quickly established as one of the best in hockey and Marchand was now in the apex of his career and taking on a bigger role and leadership not just on a much improved PP but at 5v5

Now to turn this to Debrusk. PP usage similar to Marchand before his spike at the same age. 12:17 5v5 and 1.89pts Pts p/60 last 2 yrs.

Opportunity upside available. Can Debrusk be up for the challenge? Agree Marchand was/is more talented intense and has/had a bigger role on the PP than i expect JD to have. Some players have the endurance and focus to keep the pedal down and from what i know of Jake that will be the biggest questionmark

Even if he's reasonably focussed and comes in ready to take on the opportunity I expect 6-10pts more on the PP. Ours is better and he will get a better run of opportunity as he fits stylistically to what we need and the same at 5v5. 38.5 million reasons for that and he will be excited and ramped up to get it

I predict he will become a 55-60pts player and may spike this year if he has chemistry with Pettersson 2.79 pts p/60 (vs Coyle 1.99 and Bergeron 37 @ 2.11 ) and works on the PP. Would not surprise me to see 60-70 pts this year. Even if he goes to port side with Boeser-Miller he will be with 2 front line scoring forwards and should score more at 5v5..
TLDR.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Great signing Van, let's see if the change in scenery does him well. He was given every chance to be a top guy. The prolonged slumps moved him down, the moves down made him pout.
He most definitely needed a fresh start, hopefully for him, he takes advantage of it. Great kid, funny, total higher gear in the playoffs, became a really good 200ft player and PK threat for breakaways.

I'd leave him with the same line mates for a good amount of games, or it's going to be the same situation all over again.

Keep this in mind, for this contract, 5.5M x 7, he doesn't HAVE to be anything more than what he's been to be a good deal. A lot of B's fans would have taken him back for that #.

Last edited:

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Understood. I still think retaining those two in the long-term would have been a much better route than what the Canucks actually ended up doing.

I bet a fair number of Canuck fans would agree which is why I don’t understand the spazzing above.
I could see your argument if you said retaining Z and Lindholm made the team better in the Short-Term but for a team just starting their competitive window having two older players with such large and long contracts would actually be prohibitive to their long term ceiling.

Last year was a revelation and the Canucks are certainly aware that a step back is most likely, they are accepting a minor step back for a greater potential ceiling 2+ years down the road where an expected cup window may or may not open.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I could see your argument if you said retaining Z and Lindholm made the team better in the Short-Term but for a team just starting their competitive window having two older players with such large and long contracts would actually be prohibitive to their long term ceiling.

Last year was a revelation and the Canucks are certainly aware that a step back is most likely, they are accepting a minor step back for a greater potential ceiling 2+ years down the road where an expected cup window may or may not open.
I would argue that the Canucks window is now.

They have been burning through their draft capital, with only 2 first rounders retained in the last 5 years. Petey and Hughes might have some room left to grow, but the rest of the key players on the team are at the age where they have likely already peaked.

Boeser, Demko, and Hughes will all be either leaving or taking big raises in each of the next 3 years.

The team has probably an even chance at being worse 3+ years down the road vs being better.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
You didn't really offer plausible facts or a good explanation?

Again If Marchand had the intensity and consistency from day 1 and played on the top line with Bergeron why did it take till 27/the same age as Debrusk to turn from 18*-24-25 goals to 37-39-34-36. You think it just finally came together due to his operating setting?

"1% and nothing special about Debrusk"? .....again not a plausible answer. Zero chance that a guy who has 25-27-19 goals his last 3 yrs has 1% of the drive.

JT Miller did the same thing for us when he came over from TB at roughly the same age as Marchand? He had a reputation as lazy inconsistent and unhappy in his role. Sound familiar

Marchand didn't really have a centralized role on the Bruins PP1 until his first spike year in 2015/16. Torrey Krug that year took over from a aging Zdeno Chara now 37/38 who had a bomb but was never that great at moving the puck around. They went from 17.84% on the PP (below league average of 18.66%) to 20.51% and by the next year David Pastrnak was also playing a big role.

Marchand collected 12 assists off Pastrnak goals and Pastrnak helped set up Marchand 13 times. The Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak trio was quickly established as one of the best in hockey and Marchand was now in the apex of his career and taking on a bigger role and leadership not just on a much improved PP but at 5v5

Now to turn this to Debrusk. PP usage similar to Marchand before his spike at the same age. 12:17 5v5 and 1.89pts Pts p/60 last 2 yrs.

Opportunity upside available. Can Debrusk be up for the challenge? Agree Marchand was/is more talented intense and has/had a bigger role on the PP than i expect JD to have. Some players have the endurance and focus to keep the pedal down and from what i know of Jake that will be the biggest questionmark

Even if he's reasonably focussed and comes in ready to take on the opportunity I expect 6-10pts more on the PP. Ours is better and he will get a better run of opportunity as he fits stylistically to what we need and the same at 5v5. 38.5 million reasons for that and he will be excited and ramped up to get it

I predict he will become a 55-60pts player and may spike this year if he has chemistry with Pettersson 2.79 pts p/60 (vs Coyle 1.99 and Bergeron 37 @ 2.11 ) and works on the PP. Would not surprise me to see 60-70 pts this year. Even if he goes to port side with Boeser-Miller he will be with 2 front line scoring forwards and should score more at 5v5..

Regarding Marchand, he worked his way up from a 4th line role.

When hockeysfuture still maintained prospect ratings I believe Marchand was 7.5C. Decent prospect but hard work from day one earned his success.

Claude Julien is the main reason Marchand's career trajectory is what it is. In both a good way and not so good. It worked, and won. Marchand exploded when his line was given offensive focuses and PP time.

Debrusk is different, and a different player. He isn't a shooter. Or a playmaker. A goal scorer who scores his goals mainly on breakaway and driving to the net from the corner.

Two way forward. The criticism is so greatly overstated by many Bruins fans. Mainly due to his trade request I believe.

Were the Bruins able to sign Debrusk to this contract while also adding Lindholm and Zadorov I would confidently place the Bruins as the favorite for the Cup.

Now lacking a top 6 winger, Bruins are hoping Lysell is ready... we will miss Debrusk. He will be a 30 goal scorer, with health and PP time. A very good complementary passenger forward but still top 6. But it will not be similar to Marchand.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I can see how people might say this contract is a year too long, or half a million to much.

But the Canucks have to try someone with Pettersson that will compliment him or allow for someone to take a spot on the Miller line to move up to help Pettersson.

DeBrusk is $550k more expensive than Garland and as much as people crap on Garland he is/was the catalyst behind arguably one of the best 3rd lines in the entire league least year.

If Debrusk is a 50+ point player in his first season or two but gives Pettersson that 20 point bump he needs by being a qualified and productive winger than it's worth that extra half million.

Don't forget, one of the greatest wingers to ever play the game in Iginla never had a management team that gave him the centre he needed to take that other step. Mixing him up with players like Dave Gagner, Stillman, Cassels. Letting Savard go after thinking his injuries had buried him and then hoping for the best between him and Conroy. Never gave him that qualified star centre he deserved

The Canucks owe Pettersson after that contract to give him every tool on his wings he needs to succeed or else they've wasted a decade at $11 million for a quality, but not star centre

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Love this deal.

Great to bring in another player with some playoff experience and winning pedigree (no cups, but has played in, won, and contributed in, a lot of playoff games).

Really versatile and good all around. Fast and tenacious on the puck.

And the contract is probably the best big ticket contract of the day. Like in today's cap at what he provides it's a good deal. With the cap going up and the chance that he evolves a bit on a team that sought him out and puts him in a position to succeed, there's a good shot this deal looks fantastic in a couple of years.

Note: I know he blew up playing with Marchand and Bergeron a couple of years ago, but he has also been moved around the Bruins' lineup a lot.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Love this deal.

Great to bring in another player with some playoff experience and winning pedigree (no cups, but has played in, won, and contributed in, a lot of playoff games).

Really versatile and good all around. Fast and tenacious on the puck.

And the contract is probably the best big ticket contract of the day. Like in today's cap at what he provides it's a good deal. With the cap going up and the chance that he evolves a bit on a team that sought him out and puts him in a position to succeed, there's a good shot this deal looks fantastic in a couple of years.

Note: I know he blew up playing with Marchand and Bergeron a couple of years ago, but he has also been moved around the Bruins' lineup a lot.
5.5M x 7 isn't a big ticket IMHO, and that's what makes it a good deal. There shouldn't be any pressure to be the man. He's not wired that way. Also he moved around because of slumps, then it became a point of versatility as he'd PK a lot and then jump onto whatever line was rested until the periods changed.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad