Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Jake DeBrusk signs with the Canucks (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It ain’t Oilers fans derailing your thread. Just because an Oilers fan has something to say about Debrusk, doesn’t mean you can’t have the discipline to not turn it into an Oilers thread.:popcorn:

This all stemmed because an Oiler fan (like 90% of other hockey fans) said the Canucks are worse than they were last year.

The forward group is much better right now.

In: Debrusk, Heinen, Sherwood
Out: Lindholm, Mikheyev

We needed more speed on the wings and got that. Adding Heinen means Suter can play 4C. Debrusk will have a chance to play with Pettersson - instead of the black hole that was Mikheyev. And Sherwood is a pretty underrated player that has potential to move up the line up. There is more speed and more quality throughout.

I would agree with you about our defense as it currently is. Probably a downgrade but we've heard Alvin already state he knows there's a hole in our top 4 D but that we have the CAP flexibility moving forward - they are being patient there.

You've been quite obnoxious in this thread and already labelled yourself as quite ignorant about the Canucks. Canucks fans are quite happy with our additions at forward on July 1st because of added speed, versatility and PK ability. It's a clear cut upgrade to.our forward group - perhaps you are underrating the additions we've made.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
that would be a big win if he can play those kind of minutes effectively. he seems to have been on a pretty tight leash in boston.
He was never LW1 in Boston, and never would be, being behind Marchand. And when he struggled bad (circa 2020-22) and when Hall was in Boston he wasn't even LW2 either. It wasn't until he moved to play RW with Marchand-Bergeron did he find the success he had earlier in his first couple years.

Looking at Canucks depth chart, he seems like he's going to be LW1, no? I think he'll be a good fit there.

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
It isn't about sitting back, its about the right players being available.
I think
You don’t think that Debrusk is at risk of disappearing next season?

You’ve made the argument that other newly signed top 6 wingers are at risk for disappearing. What’s different with DeBrusk?
There's always a chance. However head 27 coming into a great situation playing exclusively in the top six.

A lot of the deals we saw signed are older wingers with some going to worse teams or linemates. He also was coming off his best year until he played with a broken hand but by all accounts was great once healed and was the best bruin in the playoffs.

Reactions: PuckG

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Don’t be so soft. Just because I disagree with you and other Canucks fan, doesn’t mean I’m obnoxious or ignorant.

Like I’ve said numerous times, I think your forward group has moved laterally and your defensive group has gotten worse.

Like I’ve also said numerous times, even if your forward group has improved slightly, the defensive downgrade has overall made your team worse (IMO).

And lastly, like I’ve also said numerous times, there is still lots of time for the roster to be upgraded but I think it’s much harder to do now that the big targets in FA are gone.

You proclaiming I’m obnoxious because you disagree, is obnoxious. It’s also highly misinformed if you’re refusing to read the thread and the poster I was interacting with.

It's pretty clear you have a bone to pick with Canucks fans and are basing your opinions on this. I really dont care about differing opinions but if someone tells me the Canucks forward group has moved 'laterally' i'm calling b.s.

Your agenda and act is transparent dude. Stop hijacking this thread with your crap.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It ain’t Oilers fans derailing your thread.

to summarize what actually happened.

multiple oilers fans were in a canucks signing thread shit posting the signing. one of the themes they were floating is the canucks got softer

i responded to one of these comments by suggesting oilers got softer.

multiple oiler posters promptly lose their minds and spam this thread for four pages about how it's inconceivable the oilers got softer by signing jeff f***ing skinner because no reason and also about how i know nothing about hockey, and generally attempting to dunk on me with a bunch of strawman nonsense, absurd conclusionary statements and spurious claims of victory.

i reply to about 1/3 of these obvious shit posts by clarifying the things i did not say and actually debating the substance of the feeble arguments that were made.

oilers fan suggests i derailed the thread.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
1) Claude Julien. He didn’t play Marchand on the PP and he always buried the Bergeron line with defensive matchups.
2) Marchand got married, started seeing a shrink, and grew the f*** up.

DeBrusk also had a slow maturity as a person. And it’s possible there is more consistency yet to be untapped. But he is best served as the third best person on the line. He has a good two way game, although I think it’s easy to overstate the impact a winger can have there and is a streaky goal scorer that relies on others to get him in position to score. He has always been a below average playmaker and user of his linemates.

I think it’s a good signing by Vancouver. But I think the idea that he suddenly blossoms into a 40 goal guy or something now is silly.
Reasonable response

And its also reasonable to think that Debrusk moves closer to home grows the F up and does well with a new coach who was a similar sized winger who might help him grow his consistency plus provide a new opportunity that could see him excel.

I mean playing with Pettersson (no matter what you might think after being injured in last playoffs largely sucking for his standards) is a tremendous 5v5 opportunity and if he gels on the PP with Hughes Miller Pettersson and Boeser his numbers could really take a leap. He has a lot of similarities to Horvat and Bo was excellent with those 4 and we've missed him since he left so it's really there for the taking.

I agree about the playmaking/vision skill and consistency of his past and dont expect a 40goal guy (lets be realistic) but he's a very nice compliment to what we have and was ultimately the player profile outside of him being a Tkachuk that we really needed the most.

I'm very happy with the acquisition and happy that he gets a fresh start out west where he's from to re profile himself something Miller took and ran with to the extreme.

Has some good mentors compliments in skill and opportunity upside in Vancouver

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

multiple oilers fans were in a canucks signing thread shit posting the signing. one of the themes they were floating is the canucks got softer

multiple oiler posters promptly lose their minds and spam this thread for four pages about how it's inconceivable the oilers got softer by signing jeff f***ing skinner because no reason and also about how i know nothing about hockey, and generally attempting to dunk on me with a bunch of strawman nonsense, absurd conclusionary statements and spurious claims of victory.

i reply to about 1/3 of these obvious shit posts by clarifying the things i did not say and actually debating the substance of the feeble arguments that were made.

It's obnoxious. Thank mercy they lost to Florida.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
It's pretty clear you have a bone to pick with Canucks fans and are basing your opinions on this. I really dont care about differing opinions but if someone tells me the Canucks forward group has moved 'laterally' i'm calling b.s.

Your agenda and act is transparent dude. Stop hijacking this thread with your crap.
My post history is public. Do the bare minimum and read the thread.

Once again, just because someone disagrees with you, doesn’t mean they have an agenda or are hijacking the thread. I’m talking DeBrusk and hockey the same way everyone else is.

And like I said, I don’t think DeBrusk moves the needle and your forward group has not progressed. Lindholm, in the long run, would still have been the better option (IMO).

Sorry mate, just because a poster criticized the Canucks based off the FA signings, doesn’t mean you have to derail the thread on an Oilers tangent. I quoted your posts just a few minutes ago and my post history is public so read away.

The criticism (or “shit-posting” as you so emotionally call it) that started your spiral and remains is that your team did not progress as planned this free agency. You don’t have to agree, but that’s what these boards are for (differing opinions).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He was never LW1 in Boston, and never would be, being behind Marchand. And when he struggled bad (circa 2020-22) and when Hall was in Boston he wasn't even LW2 either. It wasn't until he moved to play RW with Marchand-Bergeron did he find the success he had earlier in his first couple years.

Looking at Canucks depth chart, he seems like he's going to be LW1, no? I think he'll be a good fit there.

interesting that you guys were that regimented for so many years but i guess the top line was carved in stone like the sedins for us long ago.

canucks probably have debrusk lightly pencilled in for pettersson but i imagine they will test out line combos to see what works and assess chemistry (as good hockey teams do when they make significant additions).

we don't really have left wing /right wing assignments carved in stone or a well defined first line other than the lotto line of pettersson/miller/boeser which reunites periodically to break up a slump. miller's line tends to get the matchups.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Settle down bud. You're going off on softness because of one person, when most of us didn't even mention that. You're in multiple discussions at once, and you are now bellyaching and going on about how you don't think we are arguing fairly? Yeah, I don't think we are the problem here.

And for what its worth, adding Skinner at the expense of Ryan McLeod in our top six isn't getting softer. Not to any noticeable degree anyway. If you honestly look at the changes to the Oilers lineup, the only thing that really could make the Oilers a lot softer next year is if Kane is done from his injuries. Losing Foegele doesn't make us softer. Losing Desharnais doesn't make us softer - he's big but not physical. Bumping down McLeod doesn't make us softer.

Reactions: PuckG

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Don’t be so soft. Just because I disagree with you and other Canucks fan, doesn’t mean I’m obnoxious or ignorant.

Like I’ve said numerous times, I think your forward group has moved laterally and your defensive group has gotten worse.

Like I’ve also said numerous times, even if your forward group has improved slightly, the defensive downgrade has overall made your team worse (IMO).

And lastly, like I’ve also said numerous times, there is still lots of time for the roster to be upgraded but I think it’s much harder to do now that the big targets in FA are gone.

You proclaiming I’m obnoxious because you disagree, is obnoxious. It’s also highly misinformed if you’re refusing to read the thread and the poster I was interacting with.
The Canucks had a better record with no Zadorov or Lindholm on the team. They were rentals

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
The Canucks had a better record with no Zadorov or Lindholm on the team. They were rentals
Understood. I still think retaining those two in the long-term would have been a much better route than what the Canucks actually ended up doing.

I bet a fair number of Canuck fans would agree which is why I don’t understand the spazzing above.

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's obnoxious. Thank mercy they lost to Florida.
It’s really just mostly a single Oiler fan though. The same guy who trolled the Canucks all last year too. Just ignore him.
The forward group on paper is deeper and will be a major pain.
Could see something like this:

Heinen - Miller - Boeser
DeBrusk - Petterson - Hoglander
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
PDG - Suter - Sherwood
Podzolkin, Aman, Karlsson, Raty etc all in the mix.

Last edited:

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
It’s really just a single Oiler fan though. The same guy who trolled the Canucks all last year too. Just ignore him.
The main issue with a small portion of you is that you believe disagreement = trolling. It’s not.

A good example of trolling is you putting a laughing emoji on everyone of my posts.

My post history is public so read away - but you won’t so that you can post disingenuous posts like that one.

Back to DeBrusk now..

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Settle down bud. You're going off on softness because of one person, when most of us didn't even mention that. You're in multiple discussions at once, and you are now bellyaching and going on about how you don't think we are arguing fairly? Yeah, I don't think we are the problem here.

And for what its worth, adding Skinner at the expense of Ryan McLeod in our top six isn't getting softer. Not to any noticeable degree anyway. If you honestly look at the changes to the Oilers lineup, the only thing that really could make the Oilers a lot softer next year is if Kane is done from his injuries. Losing Foegele doesn't make us softer. Losing Desharnais doesn't make us softer - he's big but not physical. Bumping down McLeod doesn't make us softer.
Great now take Oiler talk to Oiler threads….thanks

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The main issue with a small portion of you is that you believe disagreement = trolling. It’s not.

A good example of trolling is you putting a laughing emoji on everyone of my posts.

My post history is public so read away - but you won’t so that you can post disingenuous posts like that one.

Back to DeBrusk now..
I have read your posts including all the laugh emojis you’ve posted here on every person who disagrees with you. You did the same thing last year. It’s trolling. Not disagreeing. I have no issue with posters who want to criticize the transaction.
As to Debrusk, I don’t think there’s a single Canucks fan who would take Lindholm over him based on the position and contract. The team desperately needs a top winger more than a third line centre. But since you’re the expert on Canuck fans maybe you can point to one.

Last edited:
Reactions: nucks88

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I have read your posts including all the laugh emojis you’ve posted here on every person who disagrees with you. You did the same thing last year.
As to Debrusk, I don’t think there’s a single Canucks fan
If you had read my posts, you wouldn’t pretend you were on some moral non-trolling high ground while simultaneously trolling other fanbases in the same way.

Once again, disagreement does not equal trolling.

For example: I disagree that the Canucks improved with this free agency thus far.

All that’s happened in this thread is a few fans have disagreed with me and yelled “tRoLl!”

Take the subjective and meaningless criticism instead of whining troll every time. And stop pretending your some moral queen who doesn’t troll other fanbases.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If you had read my posts, you wouldn’t pretend you were on some moral non-trolling high ground while simultaneously trolling other fanbases in the same way.

Once again, disagreement does not equal trolling.

For example: I disagree that the Canucks improved with this free agency thus far.

All that’s happened in this thread is a few fans have disagreed with me and yelled “tRoLl!”

Take the subjective and meaningless criticism instead of whining troll every time. And stop pretending your some moral queen who doesn’t troll other fanbases.
I have read your posts. I also read them all of last year. Unfortunately for you they are publicly available.
I haven’t called the numerous other Oiler fans posting in this thread trolls as I think they’re trying to make points even if I disagree with them. You’ve just taken up half the thread with the same repetitive posts calling people childish names who disagree with you and posting laughing emojis for anyone who disagrees with you. Anywho, life is too short onto the ignore pile. Should cut the thread in half at least.
Cheers!

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
i just counted and earlier you laughing emoji replied to five of my posts in this thread.

so if he's trolling now were you trolling then? several of those posts you also quoted and disagreed with so i gotta say it kind of looks bad for you according to your standards.

and if it wasn't for double standards would you have any? more to the point, i realize school is out now and you are on summer holidays and stuck in edmonton but give it a rest sometimes won't you? go to the mall maybe.
No, I genuinely found your posts comical. I can quote them again if you like.

You blatantly accuse everyone else of strawman but your posts had no argument in the absence of it. Hence the laughing emoji’s.

Also “One of the newly signed FA Oilers top 6 wingers is likely to disappear because I feel like it” isn’t a real argument. Why wouldn’t you consistently apply that and why wouldn’t it also impact DeBrusk?

Another reason for the laughing emoji.

I have read your posts. I also read them all of last year. Unfortunately for you they are publicly available.
I haven’t called the numerous other Oiler fans posting in this thread trolls as I think they’re trying to make points even if I disagree with them. You’ve just taken up half the thread with the same repetitive posts calling people childish names who disagree with you and posting laughing emojis for anyone who disagrees with you. Anywho, life is too short onto the ignore pile. Should cut the thread in half at least.
Cheers!
My posts all indicate my criticisms of the Canucks FA signings. I can’t help if you take disagreement as trolling - although why are you on a hockey forum if you can’t handle differing hockey views - but you should report any of my posts calling people names or actively trolling. There are none.

For the third time - back to DeBrusk…

I think he was a necessary signing but I don’t think he moved the needle for the Canucks relative to what they’ve lost.

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Understood. I still think retaining those two in the long-term would have been a much better route than what the Canucks actually ended up doing.

I bet a fair number of Canuck fans would agree which is why I don’t understand the spazzing above.
Most of the ones who agree with you are probably bitching if they had been re-signed, the others are convinced that 13 games trump's regular season(s)

Bringing either back for the term they got would have been stupid, Lindholm was never going to be above 3c, you don't pay 8 million for that.

Zadorov has been a #5-6 his entire career, he was mediocre here aside from the playoffs and we have the other EP who can fill the role that Zadorov filled for 900k, granted not right away.

Every guy signed is a Tochett type player that will be better than the player they replace.

Some fans aren't able to grasp what Alvin and JR are doing and think you only get better by adding a Jake Guentzel but I thought you were more nuanced than that?
Danton had 17 goals, Sherwood had 30 points, Jake 27 goals, sure no superstar in the mix but when you add their defensive game. Physicality, pk etc it's clear on paper they are better. Defense we replaced Zadorov with Forbort/Vinny and based on what Zadorov did and his useage in the regular season we are better in our own zone and on the pk.

Take away the hits and the funny Quotes and the flashy suits and Zadorov is nothing more than a 20 point #5 averaging the lowest ice time on d, prone to mistakes.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
No, I genuinely found your posts comical. I can quote them again if you like.

You blatantly accuse everyone else of strawman but your posts had no argument in the absence of it. Hence the laughing emoji’s.

Also “One of the newly signed FA Oilers top 6 wingers is likely to disappear because I feel like it” isn’t a real argument. Why wouldn’t you consistently apply that and why wouldn’t it also impact DeBrusk?

Another reason for the laughing emoji.

My posts all indicate my criticisms of the Canucks FA signings. I can’t help if you take disagreement as trolling - although why are you on a hockey forum if you can’t handle differing hockey views - but you should report any of my posts calling people names or actively trolling. There are none.

For the third time - back to DeBrusk…

I think he was a necessary signing but I don’t think he moved the needle for the Canucks relative to what they’ve lost.
What did they lose besides Lindholm? A guy you shit on all the time.
Why can't you admit that nothing the nucks do you would say was good.

But I'm sure Skinner and ardvidson were the greatest moves ever right?

You post a lot but what facts make you come to the conclusions you have come to?

Debrusk> Mikheyev
Heinan> Lafferty
Sherwood> Disueppe.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad