Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Jake DeBrusk signs with the Canucks (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He had 6 seasons with Bergeron or Krejci feeding him pucks, and with wings like Marchand or Pastrnak, and he has zero 30 or 40 goals seasons. And if you think that he didn’t have enough mentoring on how to be a consistent everyday player from the likes of Bergeron and Marchand, and generally speaking a team like Boston where that’s pretty much the number one thing you are requested to do, you must have landed on planet earth very recently.
Curious if you could tell me why it took Marchand till 27/28 the same age as Debrusk to go from seasons of 25 and 24 goals to 37-39-34-36. I mean he did play with Bergeron at 22 when he became a regular with Bergeron in his prime didnt he?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
the oilers added two defensively suspect top six or bust players so your top six just got leakier (and more injury prone). your overall lineup lost two skaters to make room for them and became correspondingly softer. your game plan just changed to accommodate them and make best use of their skills and so you suddenly became more interested in set plays and breakaways and correspondingly less interested in board cycle work. you likely move hyman away from mcd and reduce his minutes since i think it is unlikely you run an rnh/skinner/arvidsson line and i don't think you have a third line option either of the new guys can play on except as ghosts. i also think these guys do not move the needle on the pipe dream of not having mcdrai together. finally, kane just became officially a third line player playing third line minutes and situations.

and yes you will miss foegele although the grit part alone would not be hard to infill. he's an interesting player.

seems more like you're just too lazy to back your play. as expected.

have a nice day.

so if i strawman strawman strawman your strawman then i am wrong? but you have no response to what i actually said?

great insightful post. and overall quality shitposting by oilers fans today. glad to see they continue to see the canucks as their principal dreamcrusher threat as they have since game one last season. shows we are still over the target.

if you read more carefully you will see i do not say you got softer because of foegele. i never even mentioned foegele except to say you actually can replace his grit when skolman brought him up. it's you guys with the goofy math that think arviddson - foegele is some kind of relevant equation.

what i am saying is that arviddson and skinner will play top six minutes and result in two more physical players sitting down because you can only dress 12 forwards and all your forwards are gritter than those guys. they will also change the way your top six plays. and all of that makes you softer for a lot more minutes than foegele ever played
I feel like you're doing a fine job embarrassing yourself on your own, on top of Oiler fans shredding you on how uninformed you are.

Stick to Twitter.

Reactions: PuckG

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
There is no way the “Swedish Chef” and “Trader Jim” are finished tweaking ….. the prices paid at FA for the level of talent are insane…..I think they did a great job avoiding the land mines that some GMs stepped on ….yeesh….
Definitely. Either Hoglander/Garland could be moved to address other areas.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
So you are suggesting that our team toughness has decreased, when Skinner and Arvidsson are likely taking the spots of Foegele and Ryan McLeod? I don't see a big change in grit there. Will this supposed change in toughness cost us more than the 40 (estimated) more goals that we just added to our lineup? That's a theory indeed. Especially when it means likely pushing Ryan McLeod to the fourth line.

all i was talking about is team toughness. it absolutely has decreased for the reasons i mentioned. i can see why oilers fans want to change the subject to goal scoring given the moves you made but it is a different topic and really just a deflection.

and for that matter no you did not add 40 goals. you added the incremental difference between the goals arviddson/skinner score and the goals you would have scored with someone else in their role and minutes. even using your math, foegele, for example, scored 20 playing middle six. mcleod had 12 playing bottom 6. arviddson / skinner will not reliably score 72 between them even with pp1 time and mcdavid time mcleod and foegele would have killed for. when you factor in the extra minutes skinner/arviddson will burn to score their goals and how effective your power play already is without needing those guys, i'm not convinced you actually score more goals next year than you just did.

bottom line, both arviddson and skinner will give you guys a different look and may give you a boost, especially early before team adjust. they give you a shot (but far from a certainty ) of blowing up and scoring in droves. but there is no doubt they also give you a different less gritty look. my first reaction to the signings is that your top 6 got softer and it is going to make it harder for you guys to make time and space for mcdavid and to keep him out of traffic and that teams are going to play a more physical matchup game with you now. that is still my primary reaction.

• Haha

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
another lazy copout post. you really are terrible at actually discussing hockey. are you a kid?
Do you seriously expect me to engage with someone who states the following...

1. The Oilers are going to have to change their style of play to suit Arvidsson & Skinner.

2. Claims that RNH, Skinner, and Arvidsson are going to play on a line together.

3. The Oilers don't have a 3rd line.

4. The Oilers will miss Foegele in their lineup.

5. The Oilers became softer because they added Arvidsson & Skinner and will have to sit/lose 2 physical players.

6. All of Edmonton's forwards are more gritty than Arvidsson.

Do you want me to keep going?

But yes, please teach me on how to discuss hockey. You're really good at it

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do you seriously expect me to engage with someone who states the following...

1. The Oilers are going to have to change their style of play to suit Arvidsson & Skinner.

2. Claims that RNH, Skinner, and Arvidsson are going to play on a line together.

3. The Oilers don't have a 3rd line.

4. The Oilers will miss Foegele in their lineup.

5. The Oilers became softer because they added Arvidsson & Skinner and will have to sit/lose 2 physical players.

6. All of Edmonton's forwards are more gritty than Arvidsson.

Do you want me to keep going?

But yes, please teach me on how to discuss hockey. You're really good at it

Foegele being physical is a new one, he's never been in the Oilers top 8 for hits. Dylan Holloway, a rookie had more hits than him.

That's why when everyone was up in arms over his knee on knee hit in the Florida series I knew it was 100% an accident, dude doesn't go out of his way to hit at all.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You also believe the Oilers are going to change stylistically to accommodate their two new complimentary wingers as opposed to their two top 5 players that the offence revolves around?

They’re not even guaranteed to play in the top 6 with the current depth the Oilers have.
yes. i think you are counting on mcdrai utilizing these guys, not the other way round. neither skinner nor arviddson is going to play like a hyman or kane so the lines are going to have to adapt.

alternately i think 1 or both of your new signings becomes a soft ineffective bottom six player or a healthy scratch.

thanks for making my points for me btw. you seem to grasp the mechanics of what i am saying if not the full implications.
you got this backwards. it doesn't happen, which means that at least one of skinner and arviddson goes onto the first line for this to work.

bottom line, what you guys see as a victory lap goal scoring extravaganza, i see as a significant opportunity for other teams to break down what has been working for you guys. i actually perked up each time one of those signings popped up.

we'll see who is right.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
yes. i think you are counting on mcdrai utilizing these guys, not the other way round. neither skinner nor arviddson is going to play like a hyman or kane so the lines are going to have to adapt.

alternately i think 1 or both of your new signings becomes a soft ineffective bottom six player or a healthy scratch.

thanks for making my points for me btw. you seem to grasp the mechanics of what i am saying if not the full implications.

you got this backwards. it doesn't happen, which means that at least one of skinner and arviddson goes onto the first line for this to work.

bottom line, what you guys see as a victory lap goal scoring extravaganza, i see as a significant opportunity for other teams to break down what has been working for you guys. i actually perked up each time one of those signings popped up.

we'll see who is right.
Wtf are you even talking about dude? I think you believe you're winning this, but you're really not.

I think everyone that has a clue about the Oilers knows it's going to be RNH-McDavid-Hyman, Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson.

"we'll see who's right", if your history on these boards is any indication, I'm not worried.

There's some teams in the league I don't follow, so I don't speak on them since I lack the knowledge to really have a good opinion on them. I recommend you do the same. Good grief

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

we'll see who is right.
“One of your top 6 forwards will disappear because I feel like it” is certainly one hell of an argument. :laugh:

You’re all over the place. You whine about strawman than proceed to have it as the basis for every single one of your posts.

Combined with the poor grammar and you not addressing anything noteworthy in any responses, you’re not worth interacting with any further.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Wtf are you even talking about dude? I think you believe you're winning this, but you're really not.

I think everyone that has a clue about the Oilers knows it's going to be RNH-McDavid-Hyman, Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson.

"we'll see who's right", if your history on these boards is any indication, I'm not worried.

There's some teams in the league I don't follow, so I don't speak on them since I lack the knowledge to really have a good opinion on them. I recommend you do the same. Good grief

lol, i get it now that this isone of those obstinate online liunatics arguments that just says whatever it has to "win" an argument in the here and now, even something as absurd as claiming certainty in advance of the fixed in stone top 2 lines for a hockey team next season that just added two new top 6 bodies.

sorry i gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Somehow a thread about Debrusk signing in Vancouver has turned into a discussion about the Oilers...
multiple thin skinned oilers fans brigading a thread will do that.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
so if i strawman strawman strawman your strawman then i am wrong? but you have no response to what i actually said?

great insightful post. and overall quality shitposting by oilers fans today. glad to see they continue to see the canucks as their principal dreamcrusher threat as they have since game one last season. shows we are still over the target.

Somehow a thread about Debrusk signing in Vancouver has turned into a discussion about the Oilers...
The above post is where it all went astray. Oilers fans aren’t allowed to comment on anything except the Oilers or we get a post like the above. Same poster then proceeds to analyze the Oilers in the Debrusk thread.

Oh please man. Read your post above derailing this entire thing. Good grief, you’re the one talking about the Oilers. :laugh:

On that note, we can get back to Debrusk. I don’t think he remotely replaces the value lost in someone like Lindholm.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Curious if you could tell me why it took Marchand till 27/28 the same age as Debrusk to go from seasons of 25 and 24 goals to 37-39-34-36. I mean he did play with Bergeron at 22 when he became a regular with Bergeron in his prime didnt he?
Mostly due to him getting more ice time particularly PP1 time under Cassidy when under Julien he got sparse time on PP2 and around 3 minutes less per game on average.

If Debrusk gets 19-20 minutes a night playing top line and PP1 with the Canucks I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got 30+ goals in a full non-injury season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Entering a Canucks thread.
Oiler fans:

232c1bdb-08db-4288-9442-ac6ab5fe5e8b_text.gif

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
DeBrusk, Heinen, and Sherwood all play solid 200 foot games with high motors. Canucks forward core got quicker and better defensively. Wouldn't be shocked at all if those three end up with 60 goals between the three of them while providing energy and defense which would be incredible value for around $9M.

Subtracting Zadorov for Desharnais is definitely a net negative, but the bottom 4 of the D have an average height of 6'6, so they'll definitely make teams think twice about crashing the blue paint.

Heinen isn’t a motor guy. He plays like a winger version of Lindholm with much less skill. He is good on the boards and makes the smart plays. His offense flows from everyone else. Good signing, but not a forecheck/motor guy at all.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Entering a Canucks thread.
Oiler fans:

232c1bdb-08db-4288-9442-ac6ab5fe5e8b_text.gif
Enter a Canucks thread.
Canuck fans:
the oilers added two defensively suspect top six or bust players so your top six just got leakier (and more injury prone). your overall lineup lost two skaters to make room for them and became correspondingly softer. your game plan just changed to accommodate them and make best use of their skills and so you suddenly became more interested in set plays and breakaways and correspondingly less interested in board cycle work. you likely move hyman away from mcd and reduce his minutes since i think it is unlikely you run an rnh/skinner/arvidsson line and i don't think you have a third line option either of the new guys can play on except as ghosts. i also think these guys do not move the needle on the pipe dream of not having mcdrai together. finally, kane just became officially a third line player playing third line minutes and situations.

and yes you will miss foegele although the grit part alone would not be hard to infill. he's an interesting player.

all i was talking about is team toughness. it absolutely has decreased for the reasons i mentioned. i can see why oilers fans want to change the subject to goal scoring given the moves you made but it is a different topic and really just a deflection.

and for that matter no you did not add 40 goals. you added the incremental difference between the goals arviddson/skinner score and the goals you would have scored with someone else in their role and minutes. even using your math, foegele, for example, scored 20 playing middle six. mcleod had 12 playing bottom 6. arviddson / skinner will not reliably score 72 between them even with pp1 time and mcdavid time mcleod and foegele would have killed for. when you factor in the extra minutes skinner/arviddson will burn to score their goals and how effective your power play already is without needing those guys, i'm not convinced you actually score more goals next year than you just did.

bottom line, both arviddson and skinner will give you guys a different look and may give you a boost, especially early before team adjust. they give you a shot (but far from a certainty ) of blowing up and scoring in droves. but there is no doubt they also give you a different less gritty look. my first reaction to the signings is that your top 6 got softer and it is going to make it harder for you guys to make time and space for mcdavid and to keep him out of traffic and that teams are going to play a more physical matchup game with you now. that is still my primary reaction.

lol, i get it now that this isone of those obstinate online liunatics arguments that just says whatever it has to "win" an argument in the here and now, even something as absurd as claiming certainty in advance of the fixed in stone top 2 lines for a hockey team next season that just added two new top 6 bodies.

sorry i gave you the benefit of the doubt.

It ain’t Oilers fans derailing your thread. Just because an Oilers fan has something to say about Debrusk, doesn’t mean you can’t have the discipline to not turn it into an Oilers thread.:popcorn:

This all stemmed because an Oiler fan (like 90% of other hockey fans) said the Canucks are worse than they were last year.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Mostly due to him getting more ice time particularly PP1 time under Cassidy when under Julien he got sparse time on PP2 and around 3 minutes less per game on average.

If Debrusk gets 19-20 minutes a night playing top line and PP1 with the Canucks I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got 30+ goals in a full non-injury season.
that would be a big win if he can play those kind of minutes effectively. he seems to have been on a pretty tight leash in boston.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
There is no way the “Swedish Chef” and “Trader Jim” are finished tweaking ….. the prices paid at FA for the level of talent are insane…..I think they did a great job avoiding the land mines that some GMs stepped on ….yeesh….
I mean...DeBrusk put up 19 goals at age 27 and he was signed be a goal-scoring winger for our playmaking centers. 7 years at 5.5m has definite land mine potential

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

1) Claude Julien. He didn’t play Marchand on the PP and he always buried the Bergeron line with defensive matchups.
2) Marchand got married, started seeing a shrink, and grew the f*** up.

DeBrusk also had a slow maturity as a person. And it’s possible there is more consistency yet to be untapped. But he is best served as the third best person on the line. He has a good two way game, although I think it’s easy to overstate the impact a winger can have there and is a streaky goal scorer that relies on others to get him in position to score. He has always been a below average playmaker and user of his linemates.

I think it’s a good signing by Vancouver. But I think the idea that he suddenly blossoms into a 40 goal guy or something now is silly.

Reactions: sting101

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
that would be a big win if he can play those kind of minutes effectively. he seems to have been on a pretty tight leash in boston.
You don’t think that Debrusk is at risk of disappearing next season?

You’ve made the argument that other newly signed top 6 wingers are at risk for disappearing. What’s different with DeBrusk?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
And far worse than what they had at the end of the season. Debrusk is a fine complimentary piece, but he's no Lindholm, and while Zadorov got overpaid by Boston, the Canucks are going to miss him on the blueline.
Uhhh Pettersson was injured. Boeser too for game 7 and Demko never played. Debrusk will saw off Lindholm who wasnt that good till the playoffs and part of that was Garland-Joshua continuing to create match up problems. He largely stunk for us till he got the role of playing with those 2 who were having a banner year and created so many chances and possession time

Zadorov 100% agree but a healthy Demko and Pettersson is infinitely more of a threat than anything Zadorov does especially considering it's probably the one sample in his career where he was of as much impact.

Hronek was also not that good for us and would expect more but we could go back and forth doing that as RNH struggled 2023 but 2024 was effective....Kane Nurse etc etc. Things can change injuries streaks blah blah blah.

Shit talking aside....we still need a top4 defender and should have 5-6 million to do it by the deadline and may find someone better than Zadorov even if they remain patient.

The OIl has some really good depth now. Best it's been during this cycle. Curious who moves as it sounds like Kane is the one right now they are shopping. .

One thing is how many forwards in their 30s now for the Oilers might become a problem. 4 are UFA but 6 are not. Some good GM maneuvering should be able to manage it as contenders are usually destinations for players wanting a Championship but cant keep asking McDrai to do all the heavy lifting

The great thing is this is going to be a big rivalry for a few years. Both teams are in a contender cycle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad