Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Canucks acquire D Filip Hronek, 4th in ‘23 for NYI 1st (condt’l), 2023 2nd - Pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Obvious sh!t posting but the pick we gave away is top 12 protected.

Our own pick should net us a A level prospect. Not exactly apples to apples here.

Schmaltz isn't even a good center.. neither is Sam Reinhart. LOL if you're trolling you gotta do better than that ;)
Both have played full season at centers in the past though. Schmaltz more recently.

Top 10 pick is far from a guarantee to land a nhl player. I don’t want another Juolevi or Virtanen.

Reactions: Indiana

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Both have played full season at centers in the past though. Schmaltz more recently.

Top 10 pick is far from a guarantee to land a nhl player. I don’t want another Juolevi or Virtanen.

I see what you're doing here but you're completely missing the mark.

It's all good though. We will see in a couple years who was right and who wasn't. Who knows... it's a coin flip at this juncture.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I see what you're doing here but you're completely missing the mark.

It's all good though. We will see in a couple years who was right and who wasn't. Who knows... it's a coin flip at this juncture.
I’m dead serious. Either go all-in with this strategy or don’t do it all. I would’ve found a way to extend Horvat too.

This half assed shit is lame.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The only way this makes sense to me is if they were given a mandate to make the playoffs ASAP damn the costs and this is what they came up with.
Well, we know that is the mandate. It's been the mandate for a decade.

Are they making the playoffs though? How's that been working?

As a RHS bomb from the point maybe he is and also feeding off assists. I think with 9 goals already he leads our team in goals from the backend.

maybe he is
Well, that's it. Quinn, you're off PP1. Thanks for being here.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

I mean is it possible... just even thinking outside the box for a second that... they both play PP1?

:laugh:

God ya'll are just so unbearable sometimes

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Do you watch the Canucks PP?

Hughes doesn't have a great shot, he's better as a roamer creating havoc with his skating ability.

They can actually deploy Hronek as the lone dman with Hughes roaming all over the ice.

Hronek-Hughes-Miller-Petey-Kuzmenko

Or they can try to actually run a second unit through Hronek, instead of OEL (LOL).

The point is that Hronek gives us more options and more offense. How is this a bad thing?
What teams in the league successfully deploy the 2Dmen 1st PP unit? It just doesn't happen anymore. The bad thing is we just blew our assets on a guy who excels at the one thing we clearly don't need a PP Dmen and we continue to have the glaring weakness of the inability to keep the puck out of our net.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I mean is it possible... just even thinking outside the box for a second that... they both play PP1?

:laugh:

God ya'll are just so unbearable sometimes
Yeah it's possible. Winning the draft lottery is possible. Banking on it is not a plan. The ceilng of this team next season is to squeak into 8th place. It's not a good team.

And no good team uses a 2D PP1 split anymore. None. Zero.

Feb 19, 2018

Just lost eh? You can add a good player to a PP who contributes with Hughes. Sami Salo would look great on that top unit. We never had the option before today as nobody was good enough. We had no shot threat from the point until today. The guy leads our backend in goals now, Hughes is a playmaker.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Aaaah, the Benning era classic. "Wait and see!"

Then we wait. Then we see. The critics are proven right. The others say it was "hindsight".
Every transaction is independent of each other.

JB was a disaster era but the JTM was one of the best trades in Canucks history since Horvat/Luongo deals. Most people were whining and crying just like today when the JTM deal happened.

Sensible reaction is to wait and see. If it turns out terribly then JR and Allvin deserve all the criticism in the world.

Feb 19, 2018
What teams in the league successfully deploy the 2Dmen 1st PP unit? It just doesn't happen anymore. The bad thing is we just blew our assets on a guy who excels at the one thing we clearly don't need a PP Dmen and we continue to have the glaring weakness of the inability to keep the puck out of our net.

How many teams have 2 guys in the top 20 in scoring that play RHD and LHD?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Yeah it's possible. Winning the draft lottery is possible. Banking on it is not a plan. The ceilng of this team next season is to squeak into 8th place. It's not a good team.

And no good team uses a 2D PP1 split anymore. None. Zero.

Hughes isn't a prototypical Dman with a booming shot on the PP.

He's a rover with exceptional skating ability that can pivot in tight spaces to create openings. He's actually probably better suited to be a rover/roamer. He doesn't scare any goalie from the blueline.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Every transaction is independent of each other.

JB was a disaster era but the JTM was one of the best trades in Canucks history since Horvat/Luongo deals. Most people were whining and crying just like today when the JTM deal happened.

Sensible reaction is to wait and see. If it turns out terribly then JR and Allvin deserve all the criticism in the world.
No. The sensible reaction is to actually make a statement one way or the other, and not just use "wait and see" as a cop-out to hedge whichever way it works out. So if it's bad you can pretend you never supported it, and if it's good you can be like "told ya!"

And the criticism of the JT Miller trade, like Hronek, is not that the Canucks didn't acquire a useful/good player. It's that acquiring said player wouldn't help much in their competitive cycle. Where did JT Miller get the Canucks?

They made the playoffs once, when the pandemic saved them from falling out of the playoffs. They were severely outclassed by Vegas. They haven't made it back since and are now, once again, capped out with little in the way of picks/prospects. How is that one of the best trades? What did acquiring JT Miller actually accomplish?

Feb 19, 2018
This puts Miller in the bumper spot and Hronek as the one timer on the left side, if we chose to go that route. It gives the PP some serious options as Boeser was supposed to be that guy ripping pucks opposite of Pettersson.Kuzmenko is 100% in the lower net left side cruising around tipping pucks.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hughes isn't a prototypical Dman with a booming shot on the PP.

He's a rover with exceptional skating ability that can pivot in tight spaces to create openings. He's actually probably better suited to be a rover/roamer. He doesn't scare any goalie from the blueline.
So the Canucks are the one, unique team that will revitalize the 2D PP1?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
No. The sensible reaction is to actually make a statement one way or the other, and not just use "wait and see" as a cop-out to hedge whichever way it works out. So if it's bad you can pretend you never supported it, and if it's good you can be like "told ya!"

And the criticism of the JT Miller trade, like Hronek, is not that the Canucks didn't acquire a useful/good player. It's that acquiring said player wouldn't help much in their competitive cycle. Where did JT Miller get the Canucks?

They made the playoffs once, when the pandemic saved them from falling out of the playoffs. They were severely outclassed by Vegas. They haven't made it back since and are now, once again, capped out with little in the way of picks/prospects. How is that one of the best trades? What did acquiring JT Miller actually accomplish?
Where did JT Miller get the Canucks?

This comment alone shows that you don't understand hockey. JTM has been our top forward since he was acquired. Did he also trade for OEL, sign Loui Eriksson, Beagle, Rousell, Myers etc? Did JTM draft Virtanen? Juolevi? JB set this decade back with his SEVERAL terrible moves but he nailed the JTM trade. That's like saying... where did McDavid get the Oilers??? Hockey is a team sport - it doesn't matter how great you are if your supporting cast is trash.

I don't get why I need to pick a side? Do you think real life is like an Avengers movie or something?

I've said from the very beginning that I'm neutral to the trade. I don't think it's a win or it's a loss at this point in time. It's not a cop-out... it's literally my opinion that we won't be able to fairly evaluate this trade for at least two to three years. It's just a hockey message board... I don't have to insist on picking a "side". I'm not even committed to this management group, I care more about the transactions being made more than the people behind them. This perspective kinda shows that you don't really understand the reality of sports.

Feb 19, 2018
On a side note he just went from a terrible city to a top 5 in the world based off whatever polls they take. More taxes but I’m sure if he’s married his wife is jacked on the move.

Reactions: Indiana

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Basically the question is if swapping Horvat for Hronek and Beauvillier makes this team better. the powerplay argument loses here since Horvat was a beast on the PP in Vancouver

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Basically the question is if swapping Horvat for Hronek and Beauvillier makes this team better. the powerplay argument loses here since Horvat was a beast on the PP in Vancouver

It doesn't matter because we were never going to pay Horvat 8.5M over 8 years.

We were never keeping Horvat in any scenario this deadline.

Feb 19, 2018

You’re forgetting Raty who is probably one of the biggest wildcards in the league. Guy went from sure fire 1st overall 2 years prior to 52nd overall. He was playing in a full on men’s league in his draft year at 18 and a down year could have been a one off.

Beauvillier, Hronek, Raty and a 4th would straight up get you Horvat as a pending UFA and a 2nd any day of the week. The oldest guy we acquired is turning 26 and Raty is 20. A top 4 RHD that’s cost controlled and a RFA after his deal is gravy for Horvat alone, especially at the price he signed for.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
You’re forgetting Raty who is probably one of the biggest wildcards in the league. Guy went from sure fire 1st overall 2 years prior to 52nd overall. He was playing in a full on men’s league in his draft year at 18 and a down year could have been a one off.

Beauvillier, Hronek, Raty and a 4th would straight up get you Horvat as a pending UFA and a 2nd any day of the week. The oldest guy we acquired is turning 26 and Raty is 20. A top 4 RHD that’s cost controlled and a RFA after his deal is gravy for Horvat alone, especially at the price he signed for.
Raty I’d be open to packaging for a more sure fire player. Ideally A two-way Center or for a 2nd pairing dman

Again, either you go in hard with this re-tool strategy to aggressively plug lineup holes around Hughes and EP or you load up with prospects like Raty and draft picks and thing long term. This in between stuff is nonsensical

It doesn't matter because we were never going to pay Horvat 8.5M over 8 years.

We were never keeping Horvat in any scenario this deadline.
I’d pay Horvat his 8.5M because finding another Center as good as him over the next 3-4 years is next to impossible.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Where did JT Miller get the Canucks?

This comment alone shows that you don't understand hockey. JTM has been our top forward since he was acquired. Did he also trade for OEL, sign Loui Eriksson, Beagle, Rousell, Myers etc? Did JTM draft Virtanen? Juolevi? JB set this decade back with his SEVERAL terrible moves but he nailed the JTM trade. That's like saying... where did McDavid get the Oilers??? Hockey is a team sport - it doesn't matter how great you are if your supporting cast is trash.

I don't get why I need to pick a side? Do you think real life is like an Avengers movie or something?

I've said from the very beginning that I'm neutral to the trade. I don't think it's a win or it's a loss at this point in time. It's not a cop-out... it's literally my opinion that we won't be able to fairly evaluate this trade for at least two to three years. It's just a hockey message board... I don't have to insist on picking a "side". I'm not even committed to this management group, I care more about the transactions being made more than the people behind them. This perspective kinda shows that you don't really understand the reality of sports.
The reality is that this team has been and continues to go nowhere. Lmao “the reality of sports”. You were the guy telling me Carolina was going to acquire Horvat! Which reality is that?

This type of transaction is just an extension of the logic behind Benning’s moves.

And all the bad moves you blame on Benning for submarining the team, what did you think of them then? Or are you just retconning yourself now?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
The reality is that this team has been and continues to go nowhere. Lmao “the reality of sports”. You were the guy telling me Carolina was going to acquire Horvat! Which reality is that?

This type of transaction is just an extension of the logic behind Benning’s moves.

And all the bad moves you blame on Benning for submarining the team, what did you think of them then? Or are you just retconning yourself now?

I hated Benning since the Kesler -> Bonino -> Sutter deal. I was actually early on that... had to leave CDC/HFBoards because y'all were riding him hard until he got exposed. Anyhow, that's another story for another day.

Carolina absolutely should have went after Horvat. They're going to look very stupid if all they're getting is PoolParty and Ghost. Just because something made sense and didn't materialize, doesn't really mean anything bud.

Benning consistently went after LOW QUALITY players by giving out PREMIUM assets.

Gudbranson, Sutter, Vey, Baertschi, OEL, Pedan etc.

Hronek is NOT a low quality player. He has potential to be a staple in our top 4 D for years to come. It's not the same thing at all.

What JB has done and what JR/Allvin are doing now are completely independent from each other. Lumping them in together is only because of the PTSD that JB gave us. It's hard to separate that I know.

Feb 19, 2018

Laugh all you want but Schmaltz is over a point a game his last 92 games as a sample size, him and Hronek probably makes us a young playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad